PDA

View Full Version : DR650 Special tools clutch and flywheel removal - arrrggghhh

paturoa
26th April 2009, 18:55
Finaly got around to sorting the missing 5th gear on the DR6fiddy.

I had a brief thought as I was lifting the engine on the bench that I should have removed the clutch basket while the motor was still in the bike and chain etc (old lessons forgotten!)

Anyhow - mr zook has the wisdom to require 2 special tools, the first to get the flywheel off and the second to undo the clutch basket nut.

Anyone got any in / near Auckland got any that I can borrow?

paturoa
27th April 2009, 18:30
Bump
10 chr

Squiggles
27th April 2009, 19:29
I have a motion pro clutch tool you can borrow

Katman
27th April 2009, 20:56
You may well be able to split the cases while leaving the clutch and primary gear in place.

You'll still need a flywheel puller though.

paturoa
27th April 2009, 22:19

Brilliant - see PM reply

:2thumbsup

paturoa
27th April 2009, 22:20
You may well be able to split the cases while leaving the clutch and primary gear in place.

You'll still need a flywheel puller though.

Good point, cos the flywheel is on the crank and the clutch basket is on the gearbox shaft on the other side.

xwhatsit
28th April 2009, 09:59
If it's vertically split crankcase then you can just leave all that there, can't you? Clutch basket and flywheel?

Katman
28th April 2009, 12:30
If it's vertically split crankcase then you can just leave all that there, can't you? Clutch basket and flywheel?

Can't leave 'em both on.

(And quite often there's crankcase bolts in behind the flywheel).

xwhatsit
28th April 2009, 14:09
Can't leave 'em both on.

My apologies. I own a much simpler OHC single from a slightly earlier era where this is possible.

paturoa
28th April 2009, 18:51
Can't leave 'em both on.

Quite right. But if I can get one off then it looks possible.

Yes on the other side of the crank are a couple of other gogs including the drive to the outer clutch basket, held on by another fat nut. So if I can get the clutch basket off then gettting that nut off is easy.

paturoa
28th April 2009, 18:53

Legend that man. I picked them up this evening.