PDA

View Full Version : Honda VT250 problems, help (Ch-ch)

vt250
1st May 2009, 17:38
please can someone help me
this is my first bike and have no idea what to do
im in chch and would love if someone could help me

i was driving for about half a hour when suddenly i had the revs drop and the engine make some popping noises and then stalled,
could start properly had about 100 tries,

found when i changed gears or accelerated not sure a wee hose on the right hand side popped off and bike would stall,
so i have that problem, not sure what is for

then with that on now i cant start, well sometimes starts but revs wont sit and idle, bike revs are going up and down by themselves then dying

i cant drive the bike and need to get fixed, just bought it so not happy

oh yea its 83

please anyone in chch can you help

JimO
1st May 2009, 17:54
out of gas????

vt250
1st May 2009, 18:59
out of gas????

nah i thought maybe that, but the tank is full

steve_t
1st May 2009, 19:06
Fuel supply or spark issue?

EJK
1st May 2009, 19:36
Fuel tank set on off?

tri boy
1st May 2009, 19:37
Is it a small/narrow rubber hose that "popped" off?
Maybe a vacume line from the engine, to the carbs. (this would explain the erratic idle an engine stalling).

vt250
2nd May 2009, 03:20
Is it a small/narrow rubber hose that "popped" off?
Maybe a vacume line from the engine, to the carbs. (this would explain the erratic idle an engine stalling).

fuel tank is set on and yes it sounded like a vacum line to me aswell and yes it was a small narrouw hose, i put the hose back on and cable tied it on but engine is still dying on start up and revs all over the place, if its a vacum line how come the hose kept coming off each time i accelerated or changed gears.

anyways so bike still got a problem as cant ride it , keeps dying

vt250
2nd May 2009, 03:21
Fuel supply or spark issue?

guess it could be , put why all of a problem when had been riding it for like half a hour,

vt250
2nd May 2009, 03:22
hey guys i really could do with someone to come either help me or have alook at it in chch, ive really no idea were to start with a bike, eg could be spark plugs or something else i guess or fuel lines but dont even know were to begin, any help or photos would be much appreciated

vt250
2nd May 2009, 08:33
could it be carbs or fuel or spark or choke? or leads

is this all easily done and pulled apart by someone that doesnt know about bikes??

do bike shops do pickups?

anyone got any ideas or pics or suggestions

i only brought this bike last week and only ridden it for 20 mins, now doesnt run!!!!!
really angry

JimO
2nd May 2009, 09:10
could it be carbs or fuel or spark or choke? or leads

is this all easily done and pulled apart by someone that doesnt know about bikes??

do bike shops do pickups?

anyone got any ideas or pics or suggestions

i only brought this bike last week and only ridden it for 20 mins, now doesnt run!!!!!
really angry

did you buy privately, or from a dealer, the previous owner may know whats wrong as things dont go wrong just like that after 20 mins riding

vt250
2nd May 2009, 10:40
did you buy privately, or from a dealer, the previous owner may know whats wrong as things dont go wrong just like that after 20 mins riding

i bought privatly, ive spoken to old owner all he could say is it takes two times to start it, but thats not the problem, he had it parked up for a year apparntly so thats why i bought a new battery, but he rode it from his place and i rode it so in total about 20kms worth of riding then crapped out:angry2:

tri boy
2nd May 2009, 10:46
Bike shops do pick ups.
Prepare to open your wallet again.:crybaby:

vt250
2nd May 2009, 10:48
so noone has any idea wat it could be??? can anyone tell me how to drain the fuel tank so i can atleast take off and haev a look at seals and hoses make suer everything ok, i want to replace spark plugs and leads and have a feeling may have had some old fuel in there, so need to get to that stuff, just need to take off fuel tank???

MSTRS
2nd May 2009, 11:57
You seem to know all the words, but not the practical application of said bits and bobs. I suggest you get someone with hands-on skills to do the work whilst you watch, help and learn.
"A wee hose on the right side" doesn't sound like a fuel line. They come off the tank on the left and disappear into the centre to each carb.
The only hose on the right that I can think of, could be the battery drain. Which won't affect the running.
Unless you are looking at the bike arse-backwards....

Shadows
2nd May 2009, 12:25
Have look at your air box, make sure its selaed properly and there are no holes that a breather pipe from the crankcase should be plugged into

bogan
2nd May 2009, 13:06
i have the 84 VT250, had a similar problem after taking off the fuel tank, turned out i had put the vaccum hose onto the wrong bit of the fuel tap, there were two fitting it could be pushed onto, and the most predominant one was wrong, so did the hose pop off the engine? carbs? fuel tap? where exactly as i can look at my own for you and hopefully tell you what its there for

vt250
2nd May 2009, 14:55
i have the 84 VT250, had a similar problem after taking off the fuel tank, turned out i had put the vaccum hose onto the wrong bit of the fuel tap, there were two fitting it could be pushed onto, and the most predominant one was wrong, so did the hose pop off the engine? carbs? fuel tap? where exactly as i can look at my own for you and hopefully tell you what its there for

ok new update, followed the hose that had come off and it leads back to the fuel tap, its the only small one about 3mm wide, and came off opposite side of engine,

so ive come home , tried to start , its ticking over and will occasionally ignite and start but only for a second with full throttle on, the choke is not working, engine will not hold revs!!!

vt250
2nd May 2009, 15:07
unfortuntly i have no idea what the carbs look like??
on the fuel tap there is two hoses for the fuel, one for reserve and one for on , then there is the one hose going off the tap to the engine??

im not sure if this is the problem as it is now reattached, this was my intial problem, but now i cant run engine!!

MSTRS
2nd May 2009, 15:10
2 hoses or 3? 1 or 2 larger bore are fuel. 1 smaller bore is vacuum.

MSTRS
2nd May 2009, 15:17
You have a V-twin engine that runs 1 carb per cylinder. The crbs are both in the valley between the barrels. The small hose will go from the inlet manifold (engine side of a carb) to the fuel tap. When the engine is running, the vacuum created goes up that small hose to the tap under the tank and opens a valve in it, allowing fuel to flow down the 2? bigger hoses to the carbs. If there is only 1 large hose, it will go to one carb and there will be another hose bridging to the other carb.
The fuel tap switch will have 3 positions....On, Reserve and Prime. If that vacumm hose failed (which it did) the engine used up the fuel in the carbs and of course, stopped. Replacing the hose is not good enough, since there is no fuel in the carbs. Put the tap switch to Prime for a few minutes. Turn back to on and try starting. Should go now....

vt250
2nd May 2009, 15:29
You have a V-twin engine that runs 1 carb per cylinder. The crbs are both in the valley between the barrels. The small hose will go from the inlet manifold (engine side of a carb) to the fuel tap. When the engine is running, the vacuum created goes up that small hose to the tap under the tank and opens a valve in it, allowing fuel to flow down the 2? bigger hoses to the carbs. If there is only 1 large hose, it will go to one carb and there will be another hose bridging to the other carb.
The fuel tap switch will have 3 positions....On, Reserve and Prime. If that vacumm hose failed (which it did) the engine used up the fuel in the carbs and of course, stopped. Replacing the hose is not good enough, since there is no fuel in the carbs. Put the tap switch to Prime for a few minutes. Turn back to on and try starting. Should go now....

i just checked out the manaul i downloaded and the hose that came of is called the automatic fuel valve line, i have it reconnected and yes ive had it on prime , ive had the engine running since, eg i just managed to start it but had to have it at full throttle and was still only on 1000rpm for about 2 mins, then it died again, so there must be fuel in there if running for two mins, ???
engine still will not start and hold revs, just keeps dying

xwhatsit
2nd May 2009, 15:36
OK well that's the problem, the fuel tap vacuum hose came off. Ridiculous fault-prone things.

To rule it out, set your fuel tap to the `Prime' position. This will mean fuel will pour into the carbs regardless of the vacuum hose working or not. When you've had the fuel tap off/carbs empty then you need to switch it to prime anyway just to, well, prime the fuelling system as there'll be nowt in there.

Leave it on prime for 30 seconds or so first before trying to start it.

MSTRS
2nd May 2009, 15:37
When you got the bike, it was running fine. Then it 'died' and that vacuum hose had come off at the engine end. Right?
That hose off is the cause of your problem and it is fuel related. Yes, some is getting through but not enough. I wouldn't mind betting that vacuum hose is blocked in some way.

vt250
2nd May 2009, 15:44
When you got the bike, it was running fine. Then it 'died' and that vacuum hose had come off at the engine end. Right?
That hose off is the cause of your problem and it is fuel related. Yes, some is getting through but not enough. I wouldn't mind betting that vacuum hose is blocked in some way.

yeap the guy rode it 20 mins to be, then i rode it 2o mins, then it died

i want to mention the hose seemed to have popped off, an then id reattach, then start again, and itd pop off, ive cable tied it on for now but still nothing happening, like i said i cant get any revs off engine, but sometimes it will start on full throttle for like 2 mins but then dies again

if it is a blockage can i just take off no problems and check???

also you sure it wont be a carb problem??

vt250
2nd May 2009, 15:46
unless you reckon the valve in the fuel tap is bung???

or the filter or something

MSTRS
2nd May 2009, 15:49
It popped off, over and over? Yes? The hose is fucked and not sealing properly on the short pipe it pushes on to. Get a new hose. And then tell us how the engine runs etc.

vt250
2nd May 2009, 15:49
the manual states for fuel problems
HARD STARTING OR STALLING AFTER STARTING
1.IMPOPER CHOKE OPERATION
2.IGNITIONN MALFUNCTION
3.CARBURETOR FAULTY
4.CONTAMINATED FUEL
5.INTAKE AIR LEAK
6.IDLE SPEED INCORRECT
7.INCORRECT CARBURETOR SYNCHRONIZATION

vt250
2nd May 2009, 15:51
it popped off, over and over? Yes? The hose is fucked and not sealing properly on the short pipe it pushes on to. Get a new hose. And then tell us how the engine runs etc.

so you reckon even though the hose is staying on now its still the problem, um not to sure were to get hose that small from, and repco etc dont have clips that can hold it on small enough
weres the best place to go.

Can i take the end off the fuel tap without any problems

MSTRS
2nd May 2009, 15:51
What I am saying is that the problem started with that vacuum hose coming off. Or at least, the hose is associated with the engine not running. And until you know for sure that it is (or isn't) the v. hose at fault, don't fuck with anything else. OK??

xwhatsit
2nd May 2009, 15:52
Look mate. Just put the fuel tap on `Prime' and see if it'll go.

vt250
2nd May 2009, 15:56
look mate. Just put the fuel tap on `prime' and see if it'll go.

listen to me,

the tank has on , reserve , or off no bloody prime!!!the bike is not starting no matter what

MSTRS
2nd May 2009, 15:56
Look mate. Just put the fuel tap on `Prime' and see if it'll go.

True. And leave it on prime. That bypasses the vacuum hose. If the engine still won't run right, then you know to start looking at other things that might cause that.

MSTRS
2nd May 2009, 15:57
listen to me,

the tank has on , reserve , or off no bloody prime!!!the bike is not starting no matter what

Uh oh. That setting MUST be Prime. Otherwise why have a vacuum operated tap?

bogan
2nd May 2009, 15:58
if it were me id put the tap on prime, leave for 10min, start it and see how it goes, if it still doesnt run, turn tap to off, pull of main fuel line from carb and put in a wee container, turn tap back to prime, make sure fuel flows into container, post results here.

bogan
2nd May 2009, 15:59
try res instead of prime, also could you post where you got the service manual from, i would like a copy of that for myself

vt250
2nd May 2009, 15:59
uh oh. That setting must be prime. Otherwise why have a vacuum operated tap?

sorry?? Its off on on simple as that

so on is prime, ??

Off doesnt let any fuel through??

vt250
2nd May 2009, 16:02
So heads up should i try the vacum line or the fuel thing first???

xwhatsit
Uh oh. That setting MUST be Prime. Otherwise why have a vacuum operated tap?
Yes now this is getting confusing. If it has a vacuum fuel tap then it shouldn't have an Off position.

You don't have a digital camera, vt250?

What I would try, is to simply pull the fuel hose off the carb, then turn the fuel tap to whatever position lets fuel come through the end of the hose.

vt250
try res instead of prime, also could you post where you got the service manual from, i would like a copy of that for myself

http://vt.tar.hu/manual_en.htm

ALSO YES I HAVE HAD ON FOR OVER 20 MINS AND STILL NO GO

MSTRS
2nd May 2009, 16:06
No need to shout!
We know what we are talking about and we are trying to help.
Digital camera?pxt phone?
Go and take a photo of the tap and post it on here....

bogan
2nd May 2009, 16:06
thanks for the link. i just went and looked at my tap as well (84 vt250fII), it is exactly how vt250 describes it, 2fuel lines into it from tank, one to the carbs, one vacum line. 3 tap positions on-off-res

MSTRS
2nd May 2009, 16:07
thanks for the link. i just went and looked at my tap as well (84 vt250fII), it is exactly how vt250 describes it, 2fuel lines into it from tank, one to the carbs, one vacum line. 3 tap positions on-off-res

With a vacuum line involved, the fuel tap MUST have a Prime position

vt250
2nd May 2009, 16:08
thanks for the link. I just went and looked at my tap as well (84 vt250fii), it is exactly how vt250 describes it, 2fuel lines into it from tank, one to the carbs, one vacum line. 3 tap positions on-off-res

thankyou
can anyone tell me how to attacth a photo on here

bogan
2nd May 2009, 16:10
there is on finicky thing about it, theres two places where the vacuum hose can attach to, on is wrong and wont open the valve. But it sounds like your tap fell off from the manifold end so that shouldnt be a problem. Youre probly gonn have to pull the fuel hose to the craby off to check whether fuel is flowing

bogan
2nd May 2009, 16:11
With a vacuum line involved, the fuel tap MUST have a Prime position

the res may double as a prime as well perhaps?

MSTRS
2nd May 2009, 16:13
I doubt it. With a vacuum operated tap why have a manual off? And reserve is just that. It draws fuel from lower in the tank

vt250
2nd May 2009, 16:14
there is on finicky thing about it, theres two places where the vacuum hose can attach to, on is wrong and wont open the valve. But it sounds like your tap fell off from the manifold end so that shouldnt be a problem. Youre probly gonn have to pull the fuel hose to the craby off to check whether fuel is flowing

the manual says once the fuel line is disconnected from the carb

turn the valve on and check for flowing fuel
if the fuel flow stops , the automatic fuel valve is operating correctly, if the fuel does not stop then clean the fuel valve,

ok then after that i need to somehow blow air through the hose and if fuel comes out then its good, if not its blocked

vt250
2nd May 2009, 16:14
i doubt it. With a vacuum operated tap why have a manual off? And reserve is just that. It draws fuel from lower in the tank

yeah that makes sense waht you say,
are you thinking off is prime>>>???

bogan
2nd May 2009, 16:18
actually no i think about it i had to manualy generate a vacume to get fuel to flow, there is no prime on it. My kr1 was the one that had a prime

bogan
2nd May 2009, 16:20
the manual says once the fuel line is disconnected from the carb

turn the valve on and check for flowing fuel
if the fuel flow stops , the automatic fuel valve is operating correctly, if the fuel does not stop then clean the fuel valve,

ok then after that i need to somehow blow air through the hose and if fuel comes out then its good, if not its blocked

yeh, you need to pull off the fuel hose (big one) from the carb and check if fuel flows, then pull off the little vaccum hose that fell off and generate a vaccum in it (suction rather than blow) and fuel should start to piss out everywhere from the large hose

vt250
2nd May 2009, 16:21
actually no i think about it i had to manualy generate a vacume to get fuel to flow, there is no prime on it. My kr1 was the one that had a prime

and how did you manually generate it??

vt250
2nd May 2009, 16:22
yeh, you need to pull off the fuel hose (big one) from the carb and check if fuel flows, then pull off the little vaccum hose that fell off and generate a vaccum in it (suction rather than blow) and fuel should start to piss out everywhere from the large hose

wouldnt i blow from the engine side of the tube

xwhatsit
2nd May 2009, 16:26
wouldnt i blow from the engine side of the tube
No you need to suck -- the hose goes to the intake manifold, which is at lower pressure than outside due to the engine sucking fuel/air through the carb.

MSTRS
2nd May 2009, 16:30
This is a Yamaha Radian...same sort of set-up...
There IS no OFF position, because when the engine is not going, the fuel tap is effectively off.

vt250
2nd May 2009, 16:38
fucks sake im getting frustrated, thanks for your help guys, but what does the fuel hose look like going into the carburator

bogan
2nd May 2009, 16:51
fuel hose that goes into the carby is the one coming out of the back of the fuel tap (when looking at it from the side of the bike) and goes almost directly back into the carbys, pulling it off from the tap end is probably easiest.

I prefer to generate vacuum using a syringe, but if you dont have one just suck on the hose

It is a weird setup with no prime setting on the tap, but it definetely doesnt have a prime setting unfortunately

MSTRS
2nd May 2009, 16:59
It is a weird setup with no prime setting on the tap, but it definetely doesnt have a prime setting unfortunately

Well, don't that just beat all? Early days of the vacuum system, before someone clever came along and fixed it?
In this case then, one would have to prime the carbs by sucking on the vacuum hose for a reasonable length of time and then refit the end to the inlet manifold tube, before attempting to start the bike. Ridiculous.

MSTRS
2nd May 2009, 17:08
fucks sake im getting frustrated, thanks for your help guys, but what does the fuel hose look like going into the carburator

Forget that end. They can be hard to get at, in some cases. Instead, try Supercheap who should have a selection of different size hoses. Take your old vacuum hose to check you get the right inside diameter. Get a longer length than needed. Fit one end to the fuel tap, pop off the fuel hose at the tap and, with it set to Reserve (cos you may be at that point petrol-wise), suck on the vacuum hose. If fuel flows out of the back of the tap, you are on the way to sorting it. Put the fuel hose back on the tap. Again, suck on the vacuum hose for (awhile). Cut off the excess length to suit and fit to the tube on the inlet manifold. Pray to your god, and hit the starter....

bogan
2nd May 2009, 17:30
if youre at supercheap, pick up a syringe (pretty sure they have them or something similar) then you can just create a vacuum with the syringe and clamp it in position, thus eliminating the need to suck on a hose for 10mins

vt250
3rd May 2009, 12:59
alright everyone that has helped me, ive done all of the above, there is nothing wrong with the fuel lines or vacuum hose, fuel is flowing through, i primed the carbs, still nothing,

so now to from here, ??

maybe not a fuel issue,
maybe carb issue or electrical issue??
could it be a battery issue??(i put in a new battery last week, maybe something wrong with it?? )doubt it though

so were to from here everyone, should i be worried that its something really bad

vt250
3rd May 2009, 13:04
maybe intake air leak

faulty carburator

or ingintion problem??

steve_t
3rd May 2009, 13:08
Did u check the spark plug? Lead? Coil?

bogan
3rd May 2009, 13:20
give us an update on the symptoms, running a little bit, or not at all?

hayd3n
3rd May 2009, 13:21
i really think you need someone local to help you out
try looking at this thread http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=97587&highlight=chch+evenings
some one on the thread maybe able to help

MSTRS
3rd May 2009, 13:25
i really think you need a someone local to help you out

Yep! Needs a hands-on approach. I think we have done all we can to assist from afar.

bogan
3rd May 2009, 13:28
Yep! Needs a hands-on approach. I think we have done all we can to assist from afar.

yeh thats a good point, u can gimme a pm if you have questions specific to the model, otherwise you would be far better off getting help form someone local

vt250
3rd May 2009, 13:39
give us an update on the symptoms, running a little bit, or not at all?

bike is ticking over, the back wheel will slight spin when its on stand so it must be trying, on occasion its ignited and started for like one milli second, so it really is trying, it just wont do it,

but you know all that after i really think something like carbs or vavles or floater tank or something, i dunno

looks like somehow gonna have to pay for it to get picked up for a shop and pay a fortune

hayd3n
3rd May 2009, 13:40
bike is ticking over, the back wheel will slight spin when its on stand so it must be trying, on occasion its ignited and started for like one milli second, so it really is trying, it just wont do it,

but you know all that after i really think something like carbs or vavles or floater tank or something, i dunno

looks like somehow gonna have to pay for it to get picked up for a shop and pay a fortune

again ill post
i really think you need someone local to help you out
try looking at this thread http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...=chch+evenings
some one on the thread maybe able to help

MSTRS
3rd May 2009, 15:26

You know, we really have tried to help...but with this post I'm not sure that you are understanding our 'instructions'.
In the interests of clarity, I will repeat "The loss of the vacuum hose is part (if not all) of your trouble."
It MAY have contributed to some other issue in one/both of the carbs insofaras the bowls ran dry, which COULD have allowed crud in the bottom of one/both to get sucked into and partially block a jet. Too technical for you to attempt.

Since no-one else in ChCh has got involved and you appear to be too shy to go find someone local, then I guess you will be paying a shop.
Edit: - Oooops, I spoke too soon. Take their kind offer/s VT250, and the opportunity to learn some valuable skills.

Spuds1234
3rd May 2009, 15:37
I can come around and have a look for you. Im not great with mechanics but I should atleast be able to point you in the right direction.

Do you have tools at your place or do I need to bring some around.

If you have Wednesday night off and you go to the thread that hayd3n keeps posting here and ask nicely someone with a trailer might be able to take your bike to a work shop for you, or perhaps the Wednesday night maintance evening could come to you.

I have tuesday off. I can come and look at your bike anytime during the day up to about 6pm (really early start the next day). Send me a pm with your address and cell number if your interested. Otherwise can do tomorrow afternoon after 2 and before 6pm.

fireliv
3rd May 2009, 15:52
Hey Ditto to all Spud Said. Phoenix and I have just gotten home. I'm no help but if you PM myself or Phoenixgtr I'm sure he can pop round for a look.

Also agree that you need to come along to the maintanence nights if you dont know what a carb looks like! :sweatdrop

JMemonic
3rd May 2009, 17:03
I am about to get some sleep but tomorrow afternoon I will be able to have a look if you want, PM me if you have no luck and can wait that long sorry but I am a bit busy today.

quickbuck
3rd May 2009, 20:01
By now I would say the Plugs are very wet.... and need a clean or replacement....

If it continues to run for 20 minutes and dies, then the 27 year old ignition system may have called enough... Heat can lower resistance.

hayd3n
3rd May 2009, 21:42
yay the super heros have arrived now where :bash:has vt250 gone?

JMemonic
4th May 2009, 21:34
Interesting enough after all the folks suggested putting the carb on prime Honda in their wisdom did not include a prime position on the fuel tap.

I have the carbs soaking as I suspect we have a blocked jet somewhere, tomorrow will tell.

rosie631
4th May 2009, 21:47
Interesting enough after all the folks suggested putting the carb on prime Honda in their wisdom did not include a prime position on the fuel tap.

I have the carbs soaking as I suspect we have a blocked jet somewhere, tomorrow will tell.

Good on you for helping the guy out. :2thumbsup

hayd3n
5th May 2009, 07:22
how are the plugs looking???

JMemonic
5th May 2009, 10:07
They will come out later but it was running on Ether on both cylinders just not properly and it was not running on petrol at all well, the carbs are full of crap and I suspect partially blocked jets or emulsion tubes.