PDA

View Full Version : Indian students invent bike that runs on air

Bob
3rd May 2009, 23:13
Four Indian students at Guru Nanak Dev Polytechnic College have created a motorcycle that runs on air pressure. Powered by two compressed air cylinders, the bike has been designed to combat pollution levels.

One of the students, Arshdeep Singh, said "Our professors had asked us to create something pollution free, economic and affordable to a common man, so we thought of inventing a bike that runs on air."

The team said there is a potential for military use. Team member Balbir Singh added "Thermal cameras cannot detect this bike, making it safe for the Army. Also, the engine can run underwater and breathe air from its storage tank which in turn sucks it from the atmosphere."

The 100cc bike only gives a top speed of 18 kilometres per hour, but its creators said they will be able to increase this after making technical changes.

P38
4th May 2009, 19:54
Hahahaha

Potental for military use..... (Insert a Tui ad Here).

I could see how they would be keen on a bike like this....... NOT!

Thermal imaging wont see the bike.......maybe!

But it sure will see the poor prick on it who's trying to make his getaway at the neck breaking speed of 18kms/hr.

Hahaha at that speed any good sniper would have time for a cuppa and a chat on the phone with his dear old mum before making the shot.

Hahahahaha

YellowDog
4th May 2009, 20:15
I just ate a hot curry and now recon I have enough very hot air to overtake and potentially blow away the 18kph miltary vehicle.

Solly
4th May 2009, 20:16
Four Indian students at Guru Nanak Dev Polytechnic College have created a motorcycle that runs on air pressure......... Also, the engine can run underwater and breathe air from its storage tank which in turn sucks it from the atmosphere."

Who the fark wants to ride under water!!??

Gubb
4th May 2009, 20:30
Raj has been busy.

98tls
4th May 2009, 20:46
Dinking dinking dinking,this is what happens eh.

pete376403
4th May 2009, 20:53
Doesn't combat pollution, just shifts it somewhere else - how do they power the compressor?

98tls
4th May 2009, 20:55
Doesn't combat pollution, just shifts it somewhere else - how do they power the compressor? :argh:With a bit more dinking.

FJRider
4th May 2009, 21:01
Hahahaha

But it sure will see the poor prick on it who's trying to make his getaway at the neck breaking speed of 18kms/hr.

Hahaha at that speed any good sniper would have time for a cuppa and a chat on the phone with his dear old mum before making the shot.

Hahahahaha

and the first heavier than air machine first flew how many feet ??? ;)

smoky
4th May 2009, 21:10
Bloody funny
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Did you make that up or what?:shifty:

EJK
4th May 2009, 21:16
:lol:
Refil every what... 18 meters?

Pedrostt500
4th May 2009, 21:17
Doesn't combat pollution, just shifts it somewhere else - how do they power the compressor?

With peddals

EJK
4th May 2009, 21:31
With peddals

Use balloons!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OewYUTDcQ2E&hl=ko&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OewYUTDcQ2E&hl=ko&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Bob
4th May 2009, 22:40
Bloody funny
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Did you make that up or what?:shifty:

Just to be parochial... here is a news item - plus video - from your own 3 News team:

http://www.3news.co.nz/News/InternationalNews/Indian-engineers-develop-air-powered-motorcycle/tabid/417/articleID/102429/cat/61/Default.aspx

OK, right now it is a bit of a joke. But as FJRider said, just how many feet did the first heavier-than-air machine fly? 120 feet to be exact. In 1903. Just 11 years later, aircraft had moved on so far that they were being used as war machines.

So as the last of the dinosaurs are sucked up out of the earth and our current engine technology is made redundant, you might just be thanking these four students as you ride down the road on your Honda Air-01... :scooter:

Ixion
4th May 2009, 22:43
Air motors are very common. Used a lot in processing industries. I've attached them to many a bit of plant before today. They have the advantage of being light, simple and don't mind being stalled .Also explosion proof , which is always a big advantage.

Nothing very revolutionary (every one a gem!) there.

Motu
4th May 2009, 22:53
- how do they power the compressor?

The compressor is run off a belt from the motor - it replenishes the tank as you ride,like the alternator on a car.It's free energy....

mujambee
4th May 2009, 23:20
The compressor is run off a belt from the motor - it replenishes the tank as you ride,like the alternator on a car.It's free energy....

So they have discovered perpetual motion?

quallman1234
4th May 2009, 23:36
Technology already done with cars. Works quite well too.

NighthawkNZ
4th May 2009, 23:45

Beaumont rally in a few years time... come on now you have to admitt to that one... ;)

Evilgenius
5th May 2009, 00:05
Lol. Goes against the 2nd law of thermodynamics. Many people tried to this this for hundreds of years but up till now they still cant do it. Im sure an olympic runner can do like 32km/ph. But hey its progress they are making so all in good time...

xwhatsit
5th May 2009, 00:57
Air motors are very common. Used a lot in processing industries. I've attached them to many a bit of plant before today. They have the advantage of being light, simple and don't mind being stalled .Also explosion proof , which is always a big advantage.

Nothing very revolutionary (every one a gem!) there.
Yep. Before they had nice good diesel motors (and even for a long time afterwards for fire hazard reasons), for small (esp. indoors) shunting locos, they were often converted steam locos to `fireless locos' -- simply instead of using compressed steam from a boiler, they used compressed air which was generated elsewhere. Many factories couldn't have fires inside, not just because of smoke etc. but because of gases and fire risk.

Later on they had dedicated cabless fireless locomotives, just looked like a small bulk-liquid wagon, a big compressed air tank on a couple of axles as a 0-4-0, no cab or footplate, just a few levers on the outside to run it.

Before they ran out of pressure, they'd drive them over to a point in the factory where they could charge them back up with a compressor -- run by a big fired engine outside that took care of all the power in the factory.

So yeah, nothing new, just add a bit more plumbing to the bike and add a boiler and firebox... that'd be a bit more interesting.

LBD
5th May 2009, 04:49
I think I recall an attempt in the late 70's to ride accross the Waimak on something like a honda ag bike with snorkels, ridden by a diver....Any one recall more about that?

Wind powered compressor like a wind turbine...

:lol:
Refil every what... 18 meters?

Roughly from memory it takes a 10 hp dive compressor 1/2 an hour to fill a 3300psi dive bottle....work this backwards roughly again, 10 hp Motor should run 1/2 hour on one dive bottle.

Duh?

Watch this spot, it has potential and is simple in its concept as with all great ideas.

smoky
5th May 2009, 07:55
The basic theory has a big hole in it - you don't get nothing for free
You have to compress the air first

It takes more energy to compress air than the energy you get from the resulting pressure
Every cube of air is produced with the same amount of energy - from the first pump to the last pump

But when expelled the pressure drops and the energy expended reduces per volume - the last bit is practically useless

Solly
5th May 2009, 17:59
Beaumont rally in a few years time... come on now you have to admitt to that one... ;)

Brilliant Nighthawk....absolutely bloody brilliant :rofl::rofl::rofl:

That is a top reply.........I'm ordering mine today :done:

P38
5th May 2009, 20:10

!!!!WTF

Perpetual motion.... They is genuises Alfalfa. :msn-wink:

Why did no one else think of this first......

FJRider
6th May 2009, 19:32

You go to the first (underwater) one... let us know how it went...:whistle:

bogan
7th May 2009, 10:00
backyard tinkerers have been doing this to bicycles for ages i beleive. That way when you run out of air, you still got pedals!

On a more technical note, the efficiency of compresing air is pretty piss-poor at high pressures, sometimes as low as 10%, so theyre not only just shifting the energy problem somewhere else, theyre making it worse.

Points for thinking outside the box though, pity the bigger companies arent exploring alternative energys as much.

Mikkel
7th May 2009, 13:04
So they have discovered perpetual motion?

No, they have REDISCOVERED the ancient secret of perpetual motion that was lost when Atlantis sunk beneath the waves. Everyone knows that!

nallac
7th May 2009, 13:52

hell yeah.. i'll take a spear gun and scollop bag and go get sum dinner while
out for a nice relaxing ride...who knows might even pick up a couple of mermaids as well,
whats the old saying..what goes on underwater stays underwater.

bogan
7th May 2009, 18:26

MMMEEEEEEE, imagine doing jumps inside the ocean, could get the mad trick combos going.

accident
7th May 2009, 18:42
what about powering that engine off your own farts
it may smell a bit.

Ixion
7th May 2009, 18:45

I cannot forbear to respond : any rider of that most illustrious and renowned marque , the Spagthorp. More specifically, the famous Spagthorp Wheezehound Continental, specifically designed for maritime touring.

Fuller details of that truly great example of Briddish engineering may be found here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=356080&postcount=6)by the curious.

Or, of course Ms Fish. Though I fear Mr Suzuki's efforts will fall far short of those of the Spagthorp.

Solly
7th May 2009, 18:58
No, they have REDISCOVERED the ancient secret of perpetual motion that was lost when Atlantis sunk beneath the waves. Everyone knows that!

By the sounds of what you are saying, they could have done with one of those bikes....the go under water you know ;)

Solly
7th May 2009, 19:04
I cannot forbear to respond : any rider of that most illustrious and renowned marque , the Spagthorp. More specifically, the famous Spagthorp Wheezehound Continental, specifically designed for maritime touring.

Fuller details of that truly great example of Briddish engineering may be found here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=356080&postcount=6)by the curious.

Or, of course Ms Fish. Though I fear Mr Suzuki's efforts will fall far short of those of the Spagthorp.

What the fark are you on about????.........write in proper english please :yawn:

bogan
7th May 2009, 20:15

it didnt sink, it went to another galaxy, didnt you see the doco about it?

Bob
7th May 2009, 23:28
it may smell a bit.

So you'd need a commode-type attachment to draw in the power source?

It could be called the Po-Ped! :scooter:

Solly
8th May 2009, 20:34
it may smell a bit.

What a stink idea :whistle:

Conquiztador
29th May 2009, 00:04
You would need full wet tyres under water I suppose.

Morcs
29th May 2009, 12:12
Be very afraid of the Indian commandos riding air bikes invading us!

coming to a dairy near you!

Brownstoo
29th May 2009, 13:03
I used to have a model airplane that ran on air... It was shit.
This is also shit because it's most likely using energy from fossil fuels, converted to electricity, then to compressed air and then to motion. None of the conversions are ever 100% efficient, so you're probably less efficient than a normal internal combustion engine anyway, and you're going a shitload slower, with a tiny range...

People always go for the most practical solution before they go for green one. Untill something becomes at least as practical (as far as speed, range and "recharge" time goes) as an internal combustion engine powering a car/motorbike we'll still be burning dinosaurs.

Squid
8th June 2009, 20:55
Well the dinosaurs are dead so I dont think they really give a toss either way...

MattRSK
8th June 2009, 20:58
Hahahaha

Hahahahaha

How fast did the first car go mate?

cave weta
8th June 2009, 21:00
it may smell a bit.

Two vindaloos and two pints of Reinech please- ive got a long trip home .