PDA

View Full Version : Bike won't start up

Rych
5th May 2009, 23:52
OK lately I have been having some interesting problems with my bike. Seems to only be when it hasn't been ridden for awhile, like a week. Sometimes it just doesn't start, it will turn over but not start. I can't even push start it. But then I will try it again the next day or a few hours later and it will start.

Then when it is started, when I let out the clutch it just instantly cuts, not stalls just turns off. I turn it off back on etc a few times and eventually letting out the clutch it will engage and take off as normal.

Would these be related and what could be the cause of this? It doesn't seem to do it when it has been ridden lately though, only if not ridden in awhile.

Thanks a lot.

MyGSXF
5th May 2009, 23:59
Seems to only be when it hasn't been ridden for awhile, like a week. Sometimes it just doesn't start, it will turn over but not start. I can't even push start it. But then I will try it again the next day or a few hours later and it will start.

Possible the battery is getting flat.. have you checked the liquid levels in it lately? put it on charge overnight.. & see if it is any better.. :niceone:

Then when it is started, when I let out the clutch it just instantly cuts, not stalls just turns off.

Is the side stand down when this happens?? some bikes have an instant cut off, as a safety precaution :yes:

CookMySock
6th May 2009, 07:26
Are you using full choke ?

Steve

Rych
6th May 2009, 10:06
Possible the battery is getting flat.. have you checked the liquid levels in it lately? put it on charge overnight.. & see if it is any better.. :niceone:
Is the side stand down when this happens?? some bikes have an instant cut off, as a safety precaution :yes:
It's a pretty new battery and it still turns over like its a full battery. And it doesn't slowly die it keep turning over strong but just won't start. But then will start perfectly later on.

Pretty sure it was up.

Are you using full choke ?

Steve
What do you mean by that, fully pulled out? I pull the choke till it sits at about 4,000rpm to warm up then let it idle for a bit. Will it cut out if its not warmed up enough?

I have had it just once before in the middle of a long ride where it was only off for about 10min started up fine but then cut out every time i let the clutch out. Turned it off then back on and was fine.

I'm thinking these are two separate problems? The clutch problem seems just random but the starting problem is when its not ridden in awhile, just strange it will work the next day after being tried the day before.

CookMySock
6th May 2009, 10:32
I have had it just once before in the middle of a long ride where it was only off for about 10min started up fine but then cut out every time i let the clutch out. Turned it off then back on and was fine.

I'm thinking these are two separate problems? The clutch problem seems just random but the starting problem is when its not ridden in awhile, just strange it will work the next day after being tried the day before.Ok its not a cold-starting or a battery problem. When it won't start, try push starting it and see if it starts perfectly ok.

You COULD bypass the clutch switch for a while and see if the problem goes away, but you would want to be very careful doing that. Or when it does fault, wriggle the wiring around the clutch switch and see if it starts (easier said than done - you need three hands.)

Steve

MSTRS
6th May 2009, 10:40
...the clutch switch ...

On a 1991 250? I doubt it has one. Sidestand switch yes, perhaps. But that only comes into play if a gear is selected when the stand is down, nothing to do with the clutch being released.

Rych, do you have to pull in the clutch lever to start the engine?

Rych
6th May 2009, 12:52
It starts without the clutch pulled in. It's when I'm in gear and trying to take off it just cuts when the clutch is slightly let out. The clutch issue is the only thing that seems to be completely random and has only done it 2-3 times in the 4 months that I have had it.

When I have had touble starting it, I have also had trouble push starting it, just goes rumble rumble skid stall sorta thing, wont push start. But it never does it when its been ridden in the previous few days, so its some sort of cold start thing.

I started it up today first time and let it warm up for about 3min then took it for a short ride and everything went perfectly after letting it run for a bit last night.

MSTRS
6th May 2009, 13:01
Hmmm, I suspect that this is a little idiosyncracy of your particular bike. Something to do with 'correct' use of the choke?

Ixion
6th May 2009, 13:05
OK lately I have been having some interesting problems with my bike. Seems to only be when it hasn't been ridden for awhile, like a week. Sometimes it just doesn't start, it will turn over but not start. I can't even push start it. But then I will try it again the next day or a few hours later and it will start.

Turn fuel tap to 'Prime' five minutes before trying to start

Rych
7th May 2009, 00:28
Yea I will try that, I was thinking about the fuel options, I tried changing it at the time, but I will try 5 minutes before. Cheers.

Max Preload
9th May 2009, 15:00

Presuming it's gravity fed, not pumped. If there's no 'prime' position on the fuel tap it'll most likely be a pump, which usually operates only while the engine is being cranked or is running. In this scenario, when the float bowls dry out, it takes a lot of cranking time to refill them to the point it will start the bike - a pain in the ass if you're in traffic and hit reserve. I was going to put a momentary switch on mine that I could hold with just the ignition on and prime the carbs with the pump. But then I threw it down the road! :crybaby:

The engine cutting out when you try to move off has all the hallmarks of a faulty sidestand switch.

gwigs
9th May 2009, 17:00
Gotta agree with Max sounds like sidestand switch

Rych
10th May 2009, 20:06
Hey thanks for the further info. Yea I got a prime switch and I think I got it to work with that, I did have to push start it though. The cut out problem I haven't had again, but yea guess it could be the side stand switch, I didn't know it had one though..

Haven't been riding the bike so much lately due to the winter weather, and that's when the starting problem has started so seems pretty logical its just cause its been sitting for longer periods of time than normal.

hayd3n
10th May 2009, 20:13
look for any switch near the side stand and remove it maybe bypass the switch by make a continuous loop see if it stalls when take off

hayd3n
10th May 2009, 20:16
when my yammi has been sitting a while ,i turn the key to on, twice, first to start the pump,
i wait till the pump stops, and then i turn again ,to pump fuel into the carbs before i push the start button

alas with half choke on
warm for 3 minutes and im away vroom vroom vrooooooooooommmmm
ohh and my smilies arnt working ;< mad

CookMySock
10th May 2009, 20:19
look for any switch near the side stand and remove it maybe bypass the switch by make a continuous loop see if it stalls when take offBe very careful bypassing the stand switch. It's there for a good reason.

You can check it - just start and put the bike in first gear, and flick the stand down - bike should instantly quit.

Steve

Max Preload
10th May 2009, 20:29
You can check it - just start and put the bike in first gear, and flick the stand down - bike should instantly quit.

All bikes with sidestand switches I've seen inhibit starter operation with the bike in gear, without the clutch disengaged. The ignition system cutout only occurs with the sidestand down (by inclusion of the clutch switch) when when you attempt to engage the clutch, to prevent you riding off with the sidestand down.

MSTRS
11th May 2009, 09:05
All bikes with sidestand switches I've seen inhibit starter operation with the bike in gear, without the clutch disengaged and ignition system cutout only occurs by inclusion of the clutch switch when the clutch is engaged, to prevent you riding off with the sidestand down.

I couldn't for the life of me figure that out...
The GSXR is fairly average...in that the clutch lever must be pulled in before it will start, but otherwise has nothing to do with any other sort of cutout.
As far as the sidestand switch is concerned, it 'activates' if the bike is put in gear with the sidestand down.
So, clutch in, in neutral, sidestand up or down = starts.
Clutch in, in gear, sidestand up = starts.
Clutch in, in gear, sidestand down = won't start.
Or..clutch in, in neutral, sidestand down = starts...select a gear = stalls.

Max Preload
11th May 2009, 10:24
I couldn't for the life of me figure that out...

I've tried to clarify it.

The GSXR is fairly average...in that the clutch lever must be pulled in before it will start, but otherwise has nothing to do with any other sort of cutout.
As far as the sidestand switch is concerned, it 'activates' if the bike is put in gear with the sidestand down.
So, clutch in, in neutral, sidestand up or down = starts.
Clutch in, in gear, sidestand up = starts.
Clutch in, in gear, sidestand down = won't start.
Or..clutch in, in neutral, sidestand down = starts...select a gear = stalls.

How about engine running, clutch in, in neutral, sidestand down - select a gear?

IIRC the GSXR1000 I saw would allow you to select a gear with the sidestand down, engine running, but as soon as he tried to move off would cut the ignition. A guy parked next to me did it about 3 times before I, parked on his right, reminded him his sidestand was down. He thought he was stalling it. I'm pretty sure it didn't stall as he selected the gear as it was on a incline and I remember seeing him roll back a little each time and he wouldn't have done that if just selecting the gear, because he'd still have a brake on.

But I could be wrong.

MSTRS
11th May 2009, 10:29
How about engine running, clutch in, in neutral, sidestand down - select a gear?

Read my last line...

There may be a clutch-activated cutout, but I've never come across one.

FROSTY
11th May 2009, 11:01
Please young sir humour an old (er) bloke.
on the occasion you havent ridden your bike for a week. DONT try to start it normally.
Connect jumper leads from your battery to a car battery then try to start it.
Just feedback to us what happens.
Re the intermittant cutout I would suggest its time to do some maintainence --specifically wiring. I think a wire has frayed or a plug is partially unplugged

Rych
15th May 2009, 16:18
Sweet as all is good, the starting is just when its been cold for a long time. I'm just making sure I ride it every now and again.

Cheers.