PDA

View Full Version : GSXR1100 ain't startin'

Coyote
11th May 2009, 20:52
The bike was running sweet yesterday. Started every time, which was a few times as I was going place to place to show it off.

However, this morning before work, it kept cranking over but nothing was firing. It was like it wasn't getting any fuel. Being unfamiliar with the bike, I wasn't sure where the tap had to go but I tried it in each direction (and later confirmed with previous owner as to where it should go). I suspect I didn't pull the choke out completely (being unfamiliar with the bike still) and flooded it.

Even so, after cranking over and over and filling the tank up properly, it's still not starting.

Battery is on charge for the next time I keep my thumb pressed on start.

Before I drain the tank and check out all the fuel lines, is there something bleedingly obvious that I'm missing? Besides being in neutral and having it on run!

Crasherfromwayback
11th May 2009, 20:56
Full choke and no throttle whatsoever. She'll fire up. If you've wet the plugs...now with this unleaded shite we've got...you can normally throw them in the bin and fit fresh ones.

Coyote
11th May 2009, 21:05
Full choke and no throttle whatsoever. She'll fire up. If you've wet the plugs...now with this unleaded shite we've got...you can normally throw them in the bin and fit fresh ones.
That was what I thought would solve the problem, however it hasn't yet. Might just need more, which is why I'm charging the battery.

I'll take a plug out and see what it's got. Store discount at Supercheap for me now :D

Coyote
12th May 2009, 20:19
No gas, starter button, didn't work.

Charge battery. Tried again. Didn't work.

Was told to try full throttle and starter, that hasn't worked.

Also told to take out the carbs and clean them. I'm not so confident in trying that, knowing I might take weeks putting them back together and find out all I needed to do was change the spark plus.

As for spark plugs, haven't got the right socket. Need a super thin 18mm I think, can't be sure. I'll find out what plugs I need and if they're inexpensive, I'll switch them over.

Ragingrob
12th May 2009, 20:41
You just bought this right? What's the original owner have to say?

Coyote
12th May 2009, 21:08
You just bought this right? What's the original owner have to say?
It ain't happened to him is what he said :p

I don't believe I was intentionally sold a dud. I'm not getting angry at the dude. The bike was running mint when I got it and the next day. Think I'm just cursed :(

Ragingrob
12th May 2009, 21:11
Spray some engine start into the airbox and keep going till it starts! That stuff works magic.

Coyote
12th May 2009, 21:29
Spray some engine start into the airbox and keep going till it starts! That stuff works magic.
So I've been told. If I have any money after paying off my bills tomorrow, I'll buy some.

CookMySock
12th May 2009, 21:36
You will fry that starter if you keep on caning it. Get someone to have a look at it - it will be something simple, probably in the ignition or kill circuit.

Steve

Taz
12th May 2009, 21:36
Kill switch is definately set to run? Not sure whether this model can wind over or not when switch is off?

Ragingrob
12th May 2009, 21:42
Kill switch is definately set to run? Not sure whether this model can wind over or not when switch is off?

Good point. Kill switch set to off on my bike and the starter will continue to crank while I wonder what's wrong haha!

Sparky Bills
12th May 2009, 21:47
Roll it down a hill and crash start it...
Or hook it up to a car battery so you dont kill the battery in the bike.
It takes a nack to start a new bike. Its all about timing.

gwigs
12th May 2009, 21:48
check the fuel cock ... its vacuum operated ....check that the vacuum hose is still connected....if the carbs have run dry you will have to set the fuel cock to the prime position...this allows the fuel to flow via gravity instead of engine vacuum....

Sensei
12th May 2009, 21:56
My 1100 did this afew times to me check the side stand is up properly , & clutch is pulled in when starting & out of gear just something to look at as well .

Mumbles
12th May 2009, 22:15
Try starting with your stand up and check that the stand switch looks ok.
Another thing I've seen is holding the throttle closed when starting V's no throttle.

eelracing
13th May 2009, 00:47
Before I drain the tank and check out all the fuel lines, is there something bleedingly obvious that I'm missing? Besides being in neutral and having it on run!

Ummm have you tried checking for spark.Pull off the nearest sparkplug cap and (if you still aint got a plug socket use a spare spark plug)plug spare into cap and rest plug electrode on the cylinder head (to earth it)place it so you can see it.

Warning,do not hold onto it as you may get a shock.

Now crank engine over with the starter and look closely to see if a spark jumps across.If you see it spark then your all good and its time to check the fuel flow etc.Good luck

By the way thats a great avatar you got.Good to see a fellow Motorheadbanger

Coyote
13th May 2009, 19:27
Holy mother of crap! Ether fucking rocks!

I'm on KB passing the time until it dissipates. Never used it before so I must've sprayed too much in!

Start the bike. vvvvVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV. Panic! Kill it.

Fuel related then?

Doesn't turn over when it's off. But I have done that on an old bike, being a muppet and all :p

check the fuel cock ... its vacuum operated ....check that the vacuum hose is still connected....if the carbs have run dry you will have to set the fuel cock to the prime position...this allows the fuel to flow via gravity instead of engine vacuum....
That was what I checked immediately. Bad experience with the VFR. Ended up doing the mod to bypass the vacuum hose. Might do the same on this thing.

Ahhh, that's what prime is! Even so, didn't seem to work either way I turned the cock.

Ummm have you tried checking for spark.Pull off the nearest sparkplug cap and (if you still aint got a plug socket use a spare spark plug)plug spare into cap and rest plug electrode on the cylinder head (to earth it)place it so you can see it.

Warning,do not hold onto it as you may get a shock.

Now crank engine over with the starter and look closely to see if a spark jumps across.If you see it spark then your all good and its time to check the fuel flow etc.Good luck

By the way thats a great avatar you got.Good to see a fellow Motorheadbanger
I found out it had spark after I electrocuted myself. That's the easiest way to do it rather than looking for a spark :laugh:

Motorhead are great. However the Avatar is mainly due to the new bike being nicknamed "War Pig" by a previous owner.

CookMySock
13th May 2009, 21:22
Fuel related then?Sounds it. Check the vacuum fuel tap and fuel pump.

Steve

cs363
13th May 2009, 21:47
The bike was running sweet yesterday. Started every time, which was a few times as I was going place to place to show it off.

However, this morning before work.....

****************Edited :) *****************************

Reading the main points (above) it does seem fairly obvious that something in your parking/start-up procedure has caused the problem. Yes, there's a minor chance something has packed up, but I'd leave that until you're sure we can rule you out of the picture :)
I think Crasherfromwayback is probably on the mark regarding the plugs, though I'm unsure of your "wasted on ether" :lol: post as to whether the vvVVV's signified that it ran?

Squiggles
13th May 2009, 23:11
I'd say plugs too, happened on my 88 Gixxer750, took a large hill to bang start it... chucked some new plugs in and had no problems after that

Coyote
14th May 2009, 11:53
Reading the main points (above) it does seem fairly obvious that something in your parking/start-up procedure has caused the problem. Yes, there's a minor chance something has packed up, but I'd leave that until you're sure we can rule you out of the picture :)
I think Crasherfromwayback is probably on the mark regarding the plugs, though I'm unsure of your "wasted on ether" :lol: post as to whether the vvVVV's signified that it ran?
I didn't sniff the stuff ya muppet.

The thing just sparked to life incredibly quick. Revved to reline faster than it would normally, plus I wasn't touching the thottle. It was fucking nuts!

Tried to get the air filter off. Had to remove the carbs to get some room, still haven't got it out yet. Whilst I've pulled it this far apart, I'll give everything a degrease, plus I replace the fuel lines with brand new coloured ones :D

What plugs does the bike need? I'll be calling Wellington Motorcycles to ask later unless someone responds before that.

cs363
14th May 2009, 12:29

The thing just sparked to life incredibly quick. Revved to reline faster than it would normally, plus I wasn't touching the thottle. It was fucking nuts!

Tried to get the air filter off. Had to remove the carbs to get some room, still haven't got it out yet. Whilst I've pulled it this far apart, I'll give everything a degrease, plus I replace the fuel lines with brand new coloured ones :D

What plugs does the bike need? I'll be calling Wellington Motorcycles to ask later unless someone responds before that.

Muppet!!?? How rude..... :lol:

Weird that it revved like that, the choke wasn't still on was it? Or have you now got the idle wound up too high?

Sounds like it may have just been flooded or alternately as you've said you filled it up it could even have been out of fuel....bit hard to tell. Anyway, the fact that it fired is good, so can't be too much wrong.

Plugs for most GSXR1100's are JR9's though I think some of the later one's ran CR9E's. What year/model is it?

JayRacer37
14th May 2009, 12:39

NGK book is a little vague on that year for it, though it looks like J9A. Worth checking with Wgtn MC though just to make sure. Don't know if Drew did the plugs, but I didn't whist I had it so they could be quite old. The revving thing was the Ether buring better than fuel would and you not being able to regulate it with the throttle since it was in the air being inducted, umm...like full throllte in the air I suppose, not at the right hand!

Not sure how far you have got with the airbox and carbs but it is a fiddly job huh!

I belive that there are two 'wire' like handles (hard to explain, 2mm thinck metal rod in a 'U' shape beside the airbox) on either side of the bike at the airbox. Pulling those apart/out should let the airbox separate...

cs363
14th May 2009, 18:31
Dunno, I just think that pulling things apart might be a bit of overkill seeing as how it was running fine when he parked it up...on the face of it I would still be leaning towards something simple caused by unfamiliarity with the bike/starting procedure.

Unless of course there's a gang of bike wrecking leprechauns in the neighbourhood that strike in the dark of night.... :lol: :)

JayRacer37
14th May 2009, 18:42
Dunno, I just think that pulling things apart might be a bit of overkill seeing as how it was running fine when he parked it up...on the face of it I would still be leaning towards something simple caused by unfamiliarity with the bike/starting procedure.

Yeah I agree, new set of plugs could only be for the best. Sounds like it could have been drowned. I never used any throttle to start it Coyote, and full choke to start and then half choke (it has two notches on the choke) for a min or two before I rode it away.

Fatjim
14th May 2009, 18:53
Having said that Jay, surely the thrashing C gave it with gogo juice would have cleared any fouling.

JayRacer37
14th May 2009, 20:40
Having said that Jay, surely the thrashing C gave it with gogo juice would have cleared any fouling.

True...hadn't thought of that!

riffer
14th May 2009, 21:01
Hmmm.

GSXR1100 is very similar to RF900.

One prob with the RFs is that the choke cable gets loose and slips where it locks on to the carb rail.

And the bastard won't start.

I'd be checking to see if the choke is working okay as well as replacing the spark plugs.

And Coyote- War Pigs is a Black Sabbath song, not Motorhead.

FruitLooPs
14th May 2009, 22:54
Riffer, pretty sure they have choke knob on the carb itself rather than cable actuated, at least my 87 750 does.

I'd also watch it with removing the vacuum petcock, I know when a carb float failed in my carbs and my gravity fed fuel petcock dumped plenty in and bent a conrod when a friend started the engine. :crybaby:

One of the benefits for having one i'd say, I always turn off my gravity petcock now. Good habit.

If they're completely run out of gas they take quite a lot of cranking to get it back through sometimes. I know at one point I was convinced something was wrong with the carbs i'd just purchased and put on it. Took lots and lots of cranking (with gaps to cool the starter) in the end with a fine mist of petrol down the carb throats. Once it was running it sucked the fuel in and was fine.

You'll have it going in no time, sure its not just out of gas and needs reserve? :sweatdrop

Coyote
15th May 2009, 08:52
Got it going. Don't know how. Ended up pulling the carbs, airbox and battery box apart. Air filter looked clean, blew through the fuel lines and they seemed fine and didn't want to pull the carbs apart so I put the bike back together.

I'm pretty sure I flooded it. Though it didn't start immediately after I tried the ether. Thinking back now, I don't think I primed it afterward and refilled the carbs.

So I didn't have to pull everything apart, but I did. And it's all back together, which only one bolt left over afterwards and I knew where it was meant to go!

Muppet!!?? How rude..... :lol:

Weird that it revved like that, the choke wasn't still on was it? Or have you now got the idle wound up too high?

Sounds like it may have just been flooded or alternately as you've said you filled it up it could even have been out of fuel....bit hard to tell. Anyway, the fact that it fired is good, so can't be too much wrong.

Plugs for most GSXR1100's are JR9's though I think some of the later one's ran CR9E's. What year/model is it?
Choke was on. Hadn't touched the idle at that stage.

NGK book is a little vague on that year for it, though it looks like J9A. Worth checking with Wgtn MC though just to make sure. Don't know if Drew did the plugs, but I didn't whist I had it so they could be quite old. The revving thing was the Ether buring better than fuel would and you not being able to regulate it with the throttle since it was in the air being inducted, umm...like full throllte in the air I suppose, not at the right hand!

Not sure how far you have got with the airbox and carbs but it is a fiddly job huh!

I belive that there are two 'wire' like handles (hard to explain, 2mm thinck metal rod in a 'U' shape beside the airbox) on either side of the bike at the airbox. Pulling those apart/out should let the airbox separate...
That ether is good stuff. Might have to run the minimoto on it sometime.

The airbox was really fiddly. I was convinced I wouldn't be able to put it back together, yet somehow I managed to do so. I'm quite proud of myself actually, and confident I can put everything back in place after I've pulled it apart and painted everything.

And Coyote- War Pigs is a Black Sabbath song, not Motorhead.
Oh ye of little faith. I'm aware of that. I've been singing it for the last week since I got the bike.

But the War Pig is Motorhead's logo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motörhead#Cover_art).

JayRacer37
15th May 2009, 09:01
But the War Pig is Motorhead's logo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motörhead#Cover_art).

Well done! Good to see that the 'WarPig' name lives on. Hope you don't paint it too well, it just won't be the same... :crybaby:

cs363
15th May 2009, 11:19
Oh well, all good - glad to hear it's going again :)

gwigs
21st May 2009, 22:55
plugs are jr9b..Ive got the manual..:done: