PDA

View Full Version : Cooling system VF1000F

Diggers
16th May 2009, 21:52
I've been looking at a VF1000FF and want to check the cooling system, but couldn't find where the radiator cap is to have a look at the coolant level and to see how dirty etc it might be!!!

Can anyone tell me where to find it on the bike? I thought it would be easy to find, now I feel like a dummy!!

cs363
16th May 2009, 23:14
Hi - Coolant recovery tank and filling point is under the left hand side cover, the actual pressure cap is under the front fairing.

I'll see if I can scan the relevant pages out of the manual for you.

Has the bike done high mileage? If so you will want to check it out carefully, though it sounds like you may be on the right track anyway - they are prone to overheating and had a history of cam problems that are best described here: http://vfreek.tripod.com/id11.html and scroll down to the grey section entitled "The History of Honda V4"
Although that said I think many owners had no issues and the bikes seem to perform pretty well, especially the R model with the gear driven cams. :)

cs363
17th May 2009, 00:34
Here you go, these pics show the locations. :)

Diggers
17th May 2009, 10:11
Thanks for the info. I'll be able to check it out now.
From the research I've done am I right in thinking that it the earliest V4s had the worst cams, and by the time of this model, 85 VF1000FF, they had made the cams from some harder stuff? (Although of course the gear driven ones on the R series had no issues).
I was aware of the possible over heating issues, so I just wanted to have a look at the cooling system to see what I could see. If only to make sure it's full! I'm counting on using good oil, changing it often and not too many low revs to make sure the cam issue doesn't arise. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for the diagrams.
Cheers