PDA

View Full Version : '90 250 Bandit engine snapped

cerberus
17th May 2009, 15:41
Well not the whole engine but enough of it to cause a real problem, see pic. I was out for a ride and thankfully only about a km from home when my chain fell off, got tangled and smashed the outer clutch cover and engine housing.

My question is what are my options for getting this fixed. I'm not a mechanical engineer so don't know all the fancy terms but seeing as it looks like cast aluminium or similar I'm assuming welding it back together is close to impossible. I've thought about going to a bike wrecker and getting a new clutch cover but that still leaves me the problem of the housing. Is it possible to just fill this up with something then drill and tap it?

If anyone has a spare GJ74A (1989-1992ish 250cc Bandit) engine lying around, working or not, I may be interested. It just seems like stupidity to replace the entire engine when such a small part is broken.

Cheers.

Crasherfromwayback
17th May 2009, 16:17
Lube your chain!

boman
17th May 2009, 16:21
Lube your chain!

Wot he said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cerberus
17th May 2009, 16:24
The chain was lubed about 600km ago and ready for the next one, most of that is dust from the road I was traveling down today, you can see it all over the place. But yes, I will lube it.

Crasherfromwayback
17th May 2009, 16:26
The chain was lubed about 600km ago and ready for the next one, most of that is dust from the road I was traveling down today, you can see it all over the place. But yes, I will lube it.

Lube it every couple of days mate...or fit a Scott Oiler if you're too lazy. Save you a lot of money!

birdhandler
17th May 2009, 16:33
if there is enough left you can look at getting it welded otherwise its off tho the wreckers call around a few engineering places they should point youin the right direction , take the part as others may fit
PS If you can weld ity will not look that pretty either
and a scotoiler would not be a bad idea
Cheers

Ixion
17th May 2009, 17:26
Dude, lube! That chain is painful.

Outer cover needs replacement, off to the wreckers. Too much stress with the clutch cable there.

Engine case, looks like only the thread mount is damaged, lucky you. If nothing's leaking oil, reform the bolt hole with Kneadit or JBWeld, and retap.

cerberus
17th May 2009, 19:59
Thanks everyone for your input. I've just purchased a new sproket cover from trademe. I plan on using Quicksteel to mold over the broken engine case and will then drill and tap it. Hopefully I'll have everything done in time to get back on the bike before the weekend.

BTW, you'll all be happy to know I've lubed the chain and will be doing so more often from now on. I'll admit that I did it a week ago and didn't expect to need to do it so often. I'm only new to this! Maybe I'll look into a scottoiler.

Squiggles
18th May 2009, 20:09
What is the chain like now? Probably fucked. They dont just jump off the sprockets for no reason

cerberus
23rd May 2009, 23:45
Pretty much, I have no intention of riding the bike again until the chain and both sprokets have been replaced. I knew it was a little loose when I took it out, but there was no room left to tighten it and I didn't think it was loose enough to cause a problem. Lesson learnt.

hayd3n
6th June 2009, 18:29
you can always take a link off the chain if sprockets and chain are in goon nick