PDA

View Full Version : DR650 - ferked cam, rocker arms and head - your advise please...

paturoa
18th May 2009, 19:36
Your estemed advise please.

With my DR650 engine now scattered across my work bench I need some experienced pointers.

What I've found to date.... none of the frame or engine numbers show up in stolen databases either here or in merka, where it's from:Police::bleh:

It appears that at some recent time in this steed's life someone knocked a hole in the sump and ran it for some time with no oil - a lot - melted stuff!. Rs-holes, buyer beware, stupid me, etc!

The gear box, crank, con rod etc are all OK. One of the gear fingers is bent but the dogs, slots etc all appear OK for a well used pony. Clutch is OK too.

I'm sure it has a new piston and only needed a hone??? as there are only 2 small scours (sp?) evident that aren't worth worring about. I don't have a fancy inside micrometer but mr Cheap Verneer says standard bore and there are no oversize stamps on the piston. rings look new-ish too, bugger all carbon in the grooves. Cam chain OK.

Bit of a worry, why would they do a new piston and rings????

The cam faces are ferked - new cam required. I got an estimate for a new OEM one which was a little scary.

1) Are there any after market cams y'all recommended? (The y'all in there was for you southern folk)

The rocker arms are ferked too. I'll just get some new ones but haven't checked the shafts yet. I've also yet to drop out the valves - but kind of not looking forward to anything I find there!

The head is ferked where the cam melted itself into the both sides. I understand there are 3 options here
- 2nd hand head and upper head
- bore and fit bearings for the cam
- get the existing head welded / build up and re-bored for a standard cam size.

2) Which is the best way to go?

3) Where is the best place to get a gasket set?

4) What goop do you recommend for re-joining the engine cases?

5) Should I cut my losses and part it out via retardme?

6) Wait for years for some numpty to throw theirs away, and get a wrecked one / transplant?

Kickaha
18th May 2009, 20:03
The cam faces are ferked - new cam required. I got an estimate for a new OEM one which was a little scary.

1) Are there any after market cams y'all recommended? (The y'all in there was for you southern folk)

The rocker arms are ferked too. I'll just get some new ones but haven't checked the shafts yet

Try Kelford cams (http://www.kelford.co.nz/) in Chch they repaired my cam when I had an oil supply problem for under $100

They can also build it up and regrind to different specs if you know what you want

They also repaired my rocker arms for $30 or so each

Pm Bren_chch regarding the head reapir, he had a head repaired down here which had had something similar happen and it wasn't that expensive

Squiggles
18th May 2009, 20:06
Ill take the wheels if you part out :eek: Webcams do a cam for the DR650, can get them from procycle... or alternatively get a stock cam off someone who has a webcam (ask around on thumpertalk?)

paturoa
20th May 2009, 20:49
Bump

Any other options or advise out there???

paturoa
21st May 2009, 18:32
double bump

YellowDog
23rd May 2009, 05:32
A pretty impresssive diagnosis. You really have scanned this one over to find out exactly where you are.

FWIW: My experience with engines that have run dry is that there is always collateral damage that will not become apparent until after you have spent the cash and expect it all to run smoothly.

My vote would be for "Wait for years for some numpty to throw theirs away, and get a wrecked one / transplant"

You shouldn't need to wait years and a few phone calls and searches may give you what you need. Aussie Ebay is good.

merv
23rd May 2009, 10:05
double bump

Did you try Kickaha's contacts?

I only ever had this problem on an old Honda years ago when the oilway to the head blocked and back then McIver and Veitch in Dunedin did needle roller conversions for the camshaft meaning they could machine the damaged alloy bearings in the head and cam cover and didn't need to build them up with weld or anything.

Not sure if that is a feasible option with the DR.

paturoa
23rd May 2009, 13:10
Did you try Kickaha's contacts?.

Not yet - was hoping to get some closer to home solutions. Wil prolly this week if nothing else is suggested. Might PM a couple of the DR650-philes as well for some pointers.

NordieBoy
28th May 2009, 21:01
I'm sure it has a new piston and only needed a hone??? as there are only 2 small scours (sp?) evident that aren't worth worring about. I don't have a fancy inside micrometer but mr Cheap Verneer says standard bore and there are no oversize stamps on the piston. rings look new-ish too, bugger all carbon in the grooves.

Nikasil bore - No oversizes.

Those dudes in ChCh did one for the local Suzuki shop no probs.

The head is ferked where the cam melted itself into the both sides. I understand there are 3 options here
- 2nd hand head and upper head
- bore and fit bearings for the cam
- get the existing head welded / build up and re-bored for a standard cam size.

2) Which is the best way to go?

2nd hand head but I have no idea what they're worth.
Should be able to get one with cam/rockers etc in good condition.

I'm getting my spare head cleaned up and the ports matched etc...
Once that's done I may have one for sale but that may be a year or so down the track yet.

BigWilly
8th November 2009, 18:20
G'day from an ex Kiwi in Oz

Was googling to find a hot cam for my DR when I came across this thread.

Dunno if you'vefound what you want yet but there is a complete top end for sale on Aussie Ebay, ending in a few hours
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/suzuki-DR-650-1997-top-end_W0QQitemZ250523202053QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Mot orcycle_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3a5458b205

paturoa
9th November 2009, 18:13
G'day from an ex Kiwi in Oz

Was googling to find a hot cam for my DR when I came across this thread.

Dunno if you'vefound what you want yet but there is a complete top end for sale on Aussie Ebay, ending in a few hours
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/suzuki-DR-650-1997-top-end_W0QQitemZ250523202053QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Mot orcycle_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3a5458b205

Thanks for that - was closed b4 I got there.

Edit: And welcome - there are a few DR650-philes here so post away.

FROSTY
17th November 2009, 13:30
paturoa The guys to talk to are Franklin cams in Pukie . They will build up your cams and rocker arms for you no worries. They will also be able to sort out the bearings in the head for you. They're experienced at suzuki stuff --they must have done a million GN250/dr250 cams by now