PDA

View Full Version : Just changed the oil on my motorbike and now it turns off

bikerdarrell
22nd May 2009, 17:12
Hi there,
Just changed the oil and filter (Spectro golden4 SAE10w-40
synthetic oil) on my 1987 Honda cbr250 hurricane and now its having troubles staying on..I've cleaned the spark plugs and checked that theirs a sufficient amount. I'm able to ride it for around 30-40seconds before it turns off and than after its off it is unable to turn back on for around a minute. Does anyone know what i can do that might fix it?

Thanks in advance
Darrell

bikerdarrell
22nd May 2009, 17:28
Also i think i put to much oil in at the start and left it running for 5 mins. IThe oil levels within the lines now...

Henk
22nd May 2009, 17:30
you haven't pinched a fuel line or the vacum line to the fuel tap in the process have you?

CookMySock
22nd May 2009, 17:52
Also i think i put to much oil in at the start and left it running for 5 mins. IThe oil levels within the lines now...It probably just pushed a lot of oil up the breather. Is it smoking or rattling?

Steve

fredie
22nd May 2009, 17:55
take plugs out and inspect them for oil . fuel

bikerdarrell
22nd May 2009, 18:06
Checked fuel line and vacum line and seems to be sweet. Cleaned the spark plugs in turps and gave them a wipe.

DangerousBastard: Yeah its smoking alot more than it used to...How do i change the breather or fix it?

CookMySock
22nd May 2009, 18:31
DangerousBastard: Yeah its smoking alot more than it used to...How do i change the breather or fix it?You don't need to change the breather. You should take the air filter element out and see if its contaminated with oil - if it is you need a new air filter element. While you have the air filter apart, see if theres oil in the air filter box, and wipe it out with an absorbent towel, like an old tea towel. Take care not to get fluff in the carbs or drop a screw or nut down them, or you will be working on it all week.

Once you have all the oil wiped out and the air filter reassembled, then see if it will start easily. If it's hard to start like the battery is flat then STOP TRYING TO START IT - there is probably oil in the combustion chambers - take the spark plugs out and spin the engine over with no spark plugs - this will blow any remaining oil out the spark plug holes. Then put the plugs back in. DO NOT try to start it by pushing it if the engine wont turn over.

Now it should start, probably with some difficulty. Run it at a high idle for a while and see if you can keep it running by blipping the throttle and holding the revs up. BE CAREFUL that there is no rattling and clattering from the engine - if there is, then there is more oil in the combustion chambers. If you can't clear the rattling in a minute or so, then leave it to the bike shop, but it should clear up.

If there is no rattling, then blip the throttle for 4-5 mins and it should piss smoke everywhere, then go for a quiet local ride around the streets (not the motorway) and just go gentle on it for ten mins or so - it will still be a little smoky. If you are lucky you wont have bent a conrod. The smoke should back right off now.

HTH
Steve

bikerdarrell
25th May 2009, 22:03
Thanks for the help. Just checked everything and still having the same problem. Guess ill just take it to a garage.

CookMySock
25th May 2009, 22:05
You might have bent a rod if you are really unlucky.

Steve

gatch
26th May 2009, 15:28
You said fully synth oil in a 87 cbr ? could be part of your problem right there ?

In such a worn motor mineral would be suitable yes ? the exact reasoning I'm not sure, someone else should be able to shed more light on the situation.

CookMySock
26th May 2009, 15:49
In such a worn motor mineral would be suitable yes ? the exact reasoning I'm not sure, someone else should be able to shed more light on the situation.Yeah you are right, but it shouldn't be enough to cause it to freak right out like that.

Once he has the oil level correct, and mopped up all the mess, it should clear up after an hours running... if he hasn't bent a rod.

Hehe, I had a diesel engine run away on me a few months back. It was fucken scary, lol. :confused:

Steve

FROSTY
27th May 2009, 11:47
Darrel.
Could you please go through step by step EXACTLY what you have done.Dont leave anything out.
I'm scratching my head as to why an oil change has affected your bike so badly. Even half a liter too much it wont suddenly cut out.

Ragingrob
27th May 2009, 12:17
It could be nothing to do with the oil change as such. Cause it sounds more like an electrical problem that has come about at the same time through coincidence. Regulators for these bikes are well-known for blowing out and it can sometimes cause those symptoms, could even just be a loose wire somewhere.

All I'm saying is don't limit yourself to thinking that's it's gotta be something to do with that oil change.