PDA

View Full Version : Is my gearbox dying?

Fub@r
23rd May 2009, 09:46
Have a 2006 GT250R.

In the last week I have noticed when riding it feels like something is "catching" when I'm riding. In particular at low revs.

I have put the bike on a stand and spun the rear wheel. When I do this I can hear a click type of sound from inside the gearbox.

I'm puzzled any ideas on what might be wrong? Anyone know a good weekend cash mechanic in west auckland?

slofox
23rd May 2009, 12:05
You sure it's not the chain...?

skidMark
23rd May 2009, 12:09
You sure it's not the chain...?

That was my first thought... especially the pressed link or clip joining link going over the fron sprocket....

lube the chain to hell n re tighten see if it gets any better...

Fub@r
23rd May 2009, 13:59
I will try that..........pretty sure though the sound was inside the gear box.

Maybe I'm a bit paranoid as money is tight and don't want any huge repair bills :)

Might actually pull the chain off and give it a good bath in lube

Taz
23rd May 2009, 14:17
How mny km's has the chain done. Check for tight spots, sticky links, grab a part of the chain around the rear sprocket and see how far you can lift it off the sprocket (you shouldn't be able to lift it very far if the chain and sprockets are goor - search the net on this if you're unsure). Check both sprockets for worn hooked teeth. The curves between the sprocket teeth should be of a uniform shape (also search the next for pics of this if unsure) If chain and/or sprockets are excessively worn then it pays to replace as a set.
Andy.

Taz
23rd May 2009, 14:19
Oh and is the servicing up to date?

xwhatsit
23rd May 2009, 14:48
I have put the bike on a stand and spun the rear wheel. When I do this I can hear a click type of sound from inside the gearbox.
What's your chain tension like?

The reason I ask is that for the past 20,000kms or so on my 250RS I have exactly what you're talking about. It's only slightly noticeable if you pull the chain off and spin the output shaft with your fingers, but when the chain tension is too tight you can hear it very well. I'm fairly sure it's a farked bearing on the gearbox output shaft. Obviously not something easy to replace (don't want to split the cases when I don't have to) so I'm just leaving it until I rebuild this engine.

Don't want to alarm you, but I'd be careful with chain tension, you don't want it too tight when you sit down on the bike (or it goes over bumps) otherwise it can't be good for the gearbox bearings.

Fub@r
23rd May 2009, 19:07
Ok have cleaned the chain and re-lubed.

Not sure I should admit to this but I was moving the front sprocket to check for movement and when I grabbed nut I found I could move it slightly with my fingers :doh: Only ever so slightly (1/10 of a turn maybe if not less) but still enough that under load it might create my problem?

Have tightened the nut and made sure the metal safety hooda is bent up nice and hard.

Will take it for a ride tomorrow and hope that was the problem.

Taz
23rd May 2009, 19:19
Ok have cleaned the chain and re-lubed.

Not sure I should admit to this but I was moving the front sprocket to check for movement and when I grabbed nut I found I could move it slightly with my fingers :doh: Only ever so slightly (1/10 of a turn maybe if not less) but still enough that under load it might create my problem?

Have tightened the nut and made sure the metal safety hooda is bent up nice and hard.

Will take it for a ride tomorrow and hope that was the problem.

Good boy.
"Hyosung making mechanics out of owners for (don't really know how long)" :)

Come for a ride to te Nikau Caves Cafe. You can take the sealed route if you don't like gravel. Down HW22 til you get to Waikaretu road and it's 18km down there.