Blog Comments

Thanks for the write up Jim. I'd love to do a ride like this one day.
    I see you finished 1 spot ahead of me with 500pts difference Jim I was in Wgtn by 8pm & decided to go visiting family & friends so dropped the Makara CP, I got my wires crossed for the early check in on the Bluebridge arriving @ 1145pm so went up the Rimutakas to gain more km's which was good as I dropped the Conway CP due to the rain & went through to the mystery CP etc before heading to CHC. Great ride had by all I noticed even with all the rain......
    I am sorry it was just before Christmas 2012 that we stared thinking about our trip. We drove the "Ice Fields Parkway" between Jasper an Banaff It was spectacular.
    We also liked Whistler. Ended up in Calgary from where we flew back to Vancouver and then to Auckland.
    I'm confused.... you must have been thinking about the trip in Christmas 2012 no?

Good to hear you enjoyed your ride on the Island. I have yet to make it to the Canadian Pacific coast, I need to. Furthest I have been is interior B.C. Speaking of which, how did you like Jasper? Did you do the trip between Jasper and Banff? Not exactly stellar riding roads, but the scenery is good.

If you guys ever make it to Calgary, let me know. BTW - if you ever come to Calgary in the 2nd week of July, it is Stampede Week.... very fun times.
    I had a lay day on Vancouver Island during my USA-Canada trip in 2011, thought oh sweet, I'll run up the island and back... then I realised it was around 1000km. It looked like a little island

Instead, I went out to Tofino and back, which was also stunning, and even found a couple of gravel roads on the return trip, so it was a very enjoyable day!

On the whole though, I found things like food more expensive in Canada than the USA..
    Thanks for the heads-up We're off to Canada and Alaska in August/Sept and staying on Vancouver Idland at my wife's cousin's place in Cowichan Bay for a few days halfway through the trip.

Much appreciated!

Geoff
    Nice one! I was really glad that I missed the hail by about 15 mins. Congrats on doing it hard by doing the North Island and South Island - that was always going to make it harder. In my planning I was struggling to get enough kms in the North (and hit the ferry on time) too.
    Good write up mate. I recently traversed the Gentle Annie and loved how different the road is at different points.
    Nice read Jim. Can't wait to do the Napier Taihape road myself, should be in November as part of the Capital Cruise. Pity I couldn't join you, but still waiting for the bike...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin
    I didn't know you were the secretary Jim?

Sounds like a nice ride tho
    I have been the Ulysses National Secretary since the AGM in March when Howard Mansell put his name forward to become Vice president.
    I didn't know you were the secretary Jim?

Sounds like a nice ride tho