View RSS Feed

cheshirecat

1. Ruapuna Training Day

Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Yesterday there was a training morning at Ruapuna with some of ChurChurs professional instructors, and some very experienced racers.

About 50 or so riders paid $65 (I think) for the experience of the instructors, and all seemed to have a good morning of it. No negative comments arose, or at least, none that I heard of.

I had one of the motorcycle Popos out there on the track on his Popo-mobeel, and I was in the pits just engaging with as many as I could. It was a great
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Adventures of a London Despatch Rider, part three

One of the best things about MM was the controller, though I forget his name. Usually controllers are ex riders so they know all the tricks, and they also know London well, very well indeed. MM controller was great. He never pushed you, enjoyed a sharp dry wit, (really important when it was dark, miserable and chucking down), was on your side in difficult deliveries and kept his humour when you’d deliver to the Barbican. The Barbican is a sprawling concrete acreage of 70’s tower blocks, no entries, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Adventures of a London Despatch Rider - Part Two

Continued:

Every rider has their limits or wedge of safety and in London I had mine. Essentially if there was to be an accident I was going to be legal, well ish, so that meant not overtaking across double yellow lines and pedestrian crossings etc, the highway code through and through. The only thing I could be ‘had’ on was to be speed for this I kept to a formula of plus 10/20(ish) mph, so when overtaking long lines of traffic the speed differential was to be minimal. Charges would ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Adventures of a London Despatch Rider - Part One

During the late 1980’s I became a despatch rider in London.

Motorcycling is always with you and after not havig riden for several years the urge, as they say, returned. More on a wim than reason, I popped into a local motorcycle dealer in Clapham. Everything had pushed the hyperspace button. Bikes looked either as if they'd just come off the Klingon track or about to enter the Paris Dakar. Playing on familiar and hopefully safe ground, I looked for Honda’s, having had six of them ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized