View RSS Feed

Stink Racing

1. Hmmm, the intake ports are different...

Well, having done the roughing out of the intake ports I find very different ports at the end. The engine actually has two quite different porting jobs already done on it.

Yep, a wally has been here before me. I thought the worst was the screwdriver that had been used to pry the cases apart; or maybe the piston that was in backwards (piston ports showing in the exhaust port). But no. They have actually put a barrel from another model with different porting onto the engine. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image000.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	261.1 KB 
ID:	188454   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image007.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	287.6 KB 
ID:	188455   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image008.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	312.7 KB 
ID:	188456  
  2. Engine work

This is the start of the engine rebuild. TZR reeds (6 petal vs the standard 4). There's not much metal there so I have to be careful not to go through the sides. The crank needs a full rebuild and I'll be replacing the bearings and seals in the gearbox.

Pic shows the standard (on right) vs the grind for the TZR (on left). The port window hasn't been done yet as the final timing and window width haven't been decided. A few more calculations and measurements to make yet.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6060010.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	841.8 KB 
ID:	188452  
  3. The ZX4-RD (the building of)

The background:
    I had a Bucket. T'was an '89 ZXR250A with a GL145 engine. Sadly I blew the engine (dropped a valve actually) and incurred the wrath of the previous owner/builder - a certain Bis'tard.

I attempted to make amends by putting a CB125T motor in it, but it seemed to have rejection issues as the motor never ran quite as it should have. The motor went up for sale and was quickly sold. The new owner swapped the ignition and carbs and the motor runs fine
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. The ZX1R story

My patience has ended with this. It's up for sale. I'm staying with two strokes.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. The ZX1R story

Sketchy (Stink Racing's Chief Test Rider and Chief Mechanical Director) has been advising the mechanic (Skunk) on tuning the ZX1R . It's sounding cleaner and crisper with a better throttle response already. A speed test is yet to be done but the team is finally heading in the right direction.
    Lead rider Skunk was heard to comment how much better the team has been since Sketchy was signed on.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. The ZX1R story

Well, richer didn't help. But my expert reckons it's too rich. Think I might listen to him now.

Just need to get some jets...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. The ZX1R story

Still no power at the 3000+rpm range. Took the opportunity to trial several different timing settings (+15 through to -15 from standard) all of which made no difference to the 3000+ range. So I guess it must be the carbs. I'll be looking at the main jets next round.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. The ZX1R story

Well. At the Battle of the Buckets Sully60 broke his motor so a swap with mine was attempted. In the course of this swap we discovered something about my engine.
    It has now been fixed, but the bike is heavier than it was. At least the crank now gets oil though. I've never taken the clutch cover off before so at some stage of the engines life someone has and didn't refit the oil feed to the crank.

Thanks to Sully60's eagle eyes () a complete meltdown has been avoided. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast