Blog Comments

Informative writeup Phil. Glad you got it sorted
    I can understand your rationale but disagree about the magical properties of it, I don't think I have ridden a bike I didn't enjoy, some of them were crap in the power stakes, some in the handling stakes but all were enjoyable and easily engaged with. I was thinking along similar-ish lines on Sunday, trail riding my 200 / 2 stroke, I liken that to dancing, the bike and my interaction is a balance of two entities, without each other it ain't going to work, and when one puts a foot wrong it becomes dancing with trees. However, I blagged a ride on a 450 / 4 stroke (I'm thinking of buying one) and it's exactly the same interaction, you have to work together to make it flow. Ok, there will need to be some adjustments to the new partners foibles but nothing that can't be learnt in a short time.
    It's the same with my other bikes, they are all different buit all give me a buzz, the 200 enduro bike because it's trying to kill me, the 640 adventure bike for it's ability to slide everywhere on every surface, the BMW because its gentlemanly, sedate and old school and the bucket cause I can be Rossi for a day.
    Not one of those bikes shares the handling traits / power curve or riding position of the others yet they all work for me, different aspects of each bike being better than the others but I am capable of enjoying all of them, there is no way there is "one" bike for me.
    There are a lot of people who cant maintain a monogamous relationship like that...
    Things like cost of rego,size and just how fast you REALY want to go. As you are comming from a 650cc is the top rego bracket worth it?????? My favourite bike was a K75 BMW. When I bought it the specks were; multi cylinder,shaft drive,mid range(cc),Liquid cooled, good pilion seat and a sit up riding position. Three cylinders was a bonus , So Smooth. Smoother than the K1000 and no vibration at any rev position. Regards Richard
    Very well thought, and I would agree. Unfortunately for most the only 'sense' they want to be aware of is the adrenalin rush of opening the throttle on the quickest bike, rather than feeling comfortable on it. I've got the ZZR1.1... so why does the MT-01 feel 'right' where as much as I enjoy the Zed's performance... it doesnt 'connect' the way that big lazy V twin does.
    Must be one hell of a marriage :-)
    I love my bike and wish i never drove a car. The skills are very different, however learning the road code in a cage has helped me with being able to concentrate on my bike. EVERY DAY AN ADVENTURE. I hear that.
    They're
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis management
    Always good to learn some maintenance skills, well done. Slow speed turns? Try a constant throttle opening and control your speed by slipping the clutch and using the rear brake, far finer control is achieved.
    That's exactly what I was practising. However when your throttle increases when you turn it it makes it a bit trickier.
    Always good to learn some maintenance skills, well done. Slow speed turns? Try a constant throttle opening and control your speed by slipping the clutch and using the rear brake, far finer control is achieved.
    well done, its nice when you find the answer to a problem and it doesn't cost a fortune
    Quote Originally Posted by no_8wire
    I too am considering going and getting the laser treatment done. Figure its worthwhile doing if I have the cash for the improvement in quality of life...and not having to worry about glasses!

Has the bad eye come right yet?
    My eyesight is now perfect. I just wish I had done it 10 years earlier. It has changed so many aspects of my life for the better, in ways that I find difficult to describe.
    I too am considering going and getting the laser treatment done. Figure its worthwhile doing if I have the cash for the improvement in quality of life...and not having to worry about glasses!

Has the bad eye come right yet?
    Hmmm - totally agree

same roads... different skill sets.

If i ruled the world, peop.s would have to ride a bike for 2 years before they were permitted to even THINK of going for a car licence ...

as i see it, this would serve three worthy purposes:-
    a) only the trainable would survive
    b) the survivors would be forever 'bike aware' and
    c) they'd understand the necessity of staying 'in the moment' and totally aware whilst on the roads

Quote Originally Posted by p.dath
    See if that shortens your stopping distance in a practice session.
    This blog and all the posts in it make for interesting reading, thanks p.dath. I'm curious about practice sessions though - how do you work that safely without leaving bits of bike all over your chosen practice area?
    I have to say, even though ive been driving for ten years I was quite stunned at the bike test. Ive only recently passed and now sit proudly atop my 250 cock-rocket, but i have to say its bloody dangerous! Im quite a sensible fella but if i was ever naive enough to think i could just get on a bike and go then i was wrong. The difference is polar opposites between a car and a bike and in my opinion they just cant be compared. Being a 1st class driver doesnt make you a 1st class rider...though i guess it does help
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita
    Thanks Baptist! I am in Wellington. (Whitby) so it is a little far for me to go. It will take me a week to get there on my 250 at the speed I am going! But I will look into a course here too. I did my original one with roadsafe and found that very useful. Any hint on how to find a mentor?
    Hi Anita,

Philip from Riderskills here. I can thoroughly recommend andrew and Lynne at roadsafe in wellington. They are professionals and work to the same standards that we set ourselves. Get in touch with them on (04) 232 0110 and let them know I recommended them.

Be safe and enjoy your bike.

Philip
    I am with you Baptist! I like my life too. That is why I am not skimping on keeping safe. I think I will give Andrew another call and ask if he will spend another date with a dummy on a bike! Like you...I plan to keep my life because I am liking it too much!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita
    Thanks Baptist! I am in Wellington. (Whitby) so it is a little far for me to go. It will take me a week to get there on my 250 at the speed I am going! But I will look into a course here too. I did my original one with roadsafe and found that very useful. Any hint on how to find a mentor?
    I looked after I posted and saw where you were you can look up about mentors on here, plenty has been written, I don't have one, I practice what I was taught by riderskills and will have another "top up" after Christmas to make sure I am doing what I should and that I have not become a bigger dumbass on a bike than I already am, then test and further instruction, expensive but I only have one life (and I kinda like it).
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast