View RSS Feed

General Bike Ravings

Biker culture, politics and general issues.

1. Shock is no good

It's got the wrong bottom end. I need one with eyes both ends.

Oh well. Plenty of other fish in the sea I guess.
  2. A new front end for the Katana

Okay, so its Saturday and I've got some spare time this weekend. Not raining yet so let's get out to the gargre early and drag out the bike.

Those front fork stanchions are looking very sorry, and I've picked up some replacement forks at Buckets and Bits which will do the job nicely.

Looks to be a piece of cake to get this front wheel off. It's a little bit different to the RF, but easy enough to work out. Previous owner has done up the axle WAY too tight though so I decided ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	238.9 KB 
ID:	188520   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0004.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	226.5 KB 
ID:	188521   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0005.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	216.8 KB 
ID:	188522   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0006.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	223.0 KB 
ID:	188523   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0011.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	216.3 KB 
ID:	188524  
  3. I have actually been doing some stuff on the bike...

Yeah, I know. Haven't posted in a while.

So, what's happened with the bike? Well, so far I've done this:

1. Completely dismantled the rear caliper and rebuilt it.
    2. De-rusted, sanded, primered and painted the rear caliper torsion bar and front fairing bracket
    3. Used a steel wire brush to remove all of the rust from the exhaust headers.
    4. Removed the rivets from the exhaust muffler shroud, and removed the shroud in preparation for the repacking of the muffler.
    5. Completely
  4. Title Search performed - conversation had - looks like previous owner is okay now.

Well, after the debacle with the trademe feedback I was a bit worried. I needed to have the letter from the previous owner in order to re-register the bike - or else get the police to declare that they had no interest in the bike.

So of course I'm spewing. It looks like this bloke's not happy about his bike being sold by his missus and he may yet decide to not write the letter - or worse - declare the bike stolen, in which case I'd be rather fucked.

So, after a week ...
  5. On the plus side...

Bull dropped off a battery for me yesterday.

Oh - thanks to James Deuce too. Turns out it was one that he'd given to Bull.

Thanks heaps guys!

Battery was charged up last night. And it turns over the bike this morning, so at least the starter works...
  6. Got some interesting trademe feedback about this bike today...

dolphin13 (106 ) 20 Jul 2009sgotlieb was the buyer(#225869448) Thanks for taking my bike for $1. My Mrs sold this behind my back! F'n Bitch!

LOL. Really? Funny thing is, there's a lovely response to my feeback on trademe. Sounds like the guy got home to find out his wife has finally cleared out his garage after 12 years of nagging.

Let this be a lesson
  7. Avon and Continental to the Rescue...

Looks like my favourite tyre manufacture has the tyres I need, given it seems to have a slabbie gixxer rear end on it.

The Avon Roadrider looks the go.

I must start reading up on these tyres. I wonder if anyone else is using them?

edit. Checked out the Continental Sport Classic which looks kinda nice too:

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...kv1112_en.html

Updated 19th July 2009 at 17:05 by riffer (found more tyres)

Categories
    General Bike Ravings , Project Bikes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails roadrider.pdf  
  8. I've been thinking about the mirror problem.

This bike has no mirrors and they look to be damn hard (or extremely expensive) to replace.

So anyway Bull was around this arvo to look at the $1 wonder and he suggests I look into streetfightering the bike.

Now I'm not too keen on removing the front end cause I kinda like the Katana look, but there's another possibility.

The clip-ons are located with a bolt for each that are in the exact place that bar mounts can go on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast