View RSS Feed

The Singing Chef

My first ride

Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
The moment i sat on my ZZR250 i knew i was at the beginning of a great adventure, as i pushed the starter button and my bike roared into life, a large grin appeared on my face. It was at that moment that the hunger took hold, my mind forming large possibilities of the rides ahead and of the sweeping corners and tight bends. As i lightly twist the throttle my bike growled into the still air around me, I kick her into first and away i go. Riding around the block for hours on end till i build up the confidence to ride into moving traffic. Eventually i grow the balls and venture off to Red Baron to pick up some gear for my anxious skin.

A few days later i am riding down the Manukau motorway heading to my old home in Tauranga. The windblasts through my ears, and the forces of the world gently ebb into a constant vibration that is running through my veins, large metal boxes all seem to fall behind me as my wrist seems to follow the excited feelings that i am feeling so deep. It's kind of a deep, deep sense of satisfaction and accomplishment and it didn't seem to die, it still hasn't left me.

Man and machine tear down the road as my concentration is at a peak, focusing on all the possibilities that could arise and taking in the world as it appears before me, the afternoon sun is slowly working it's way into it's slumber and the visibility is disappearing with it. The guttural roar that is coming from my bike is a welcome sound as i make my way down the lonely road that i am becoming one with, i attack the corners and lean into them freely, my brain telling m that it is suicide and i must most certainly be leaning too far, though i swing through the other side and brace my self for the next corner before me.

I approach the Karanahake gorge and the daylight has almost fully descended into oblivion and the stars begin to light up the sky, the moon lazily making it's way up into it's throne above the world. My anticipation and fear take over as i begin my journey through the gorge, corners come and go, as do I, weaving in between the tight corners. I escape, alive and breathing, albeit heavily and the most scariest but most fun part of my trip was over.

At this point it is where i realize that you can see absolutely fuck all when a car is coming in your direction and unfortunately it was on a corner when i learnt this, my heart is racing and blood and adrenalin mix together making me feel pumped up and damn scared as i pull on the brakes and slowly turn through the corner.

I made it through the rest of the trip, stopping for a glorious smoke in every town i arrived at, hitting the road again, eagerly awaiting the end of my journey. I arrive in Tauranga just before my curfew and pull up to my house just after that. i stiffly work my way off my bike and stretch like i never have before, my body is dog-tired and i am looking forward to my bed and a hot cup of anything really, as long as it's hot.

My head hits the pillow and i am out like a light, and that is where my first journey ends and another begins.

Submit "My first ride" to Digg Submit "My first ride" to del.icio.us Submit "My first ride" to StumbleUpon Submit "My first ride" to Google Submit "My first ride" to reddit Submit "My first ride" to Facebook

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Having just found riding i can totally relate to your blog, the wind, the lights, the cars: EVERYTHING. The sense of accomplishment when you get home, YOUR ALIVE. And no that feeling beams through me constantly. Driving is no more a boring mundane everyday sit on your cage thing. Riding is your life, in your hands getting from A to B and back to A. WOOOO i hear ya chef, I hear ya
    i can relate, i have just purchased a hyosung 250cc cruiser, i still need a little practice and am awaiting the day that confidence overcomes my fear of crashing, when i get more confident on my new bike i want to take an overnight trip to taupo, see the sights then return to auckland, that is my first planned long distance ride. when the time comes i will chuck up a few invites and see if anyone wants to tag along. i look forward to reading more of your adventures on the road. well done u, be safe.
    CREATURE will take the road soon.