View RSS Feed

Travel blog of SEA

Travel blog of SEA

Rate this Entry
I have had a few requests to do a blog of what I am doing. As I don't want to use Facebook for this I am trying this

I have decided to try living in SEA (south east Asia) for a few years. I have traveled here many times and have found it is my favourite place to be next to New Zealand.
It also has my Thai girlfriend which is a big part of the reason for trying this.

I have an apartment in Jomtien beach which is near the infamous "Pattaya" but also away from it and almost like village life. Almost except i have the conveniences of city life not too far away I also have a gym and a large swimming pool. It is about 1 km to public transport with which I can get anywhere relatively cheaply. I havnt purchased a bike yet as I am looking around and deciding what I am going to do.

I have just finished a "visa run" to Cambodia which was great. I spent a few days in Phnom Penh then went by bus to Sihanoukville .
I had intended to stay 3 or 4 days but fell into the simple life there and stayed till my flight back was due. Stayed at the small Hotel and had a very relaxed time with Henrik the owner and his wife Mom (Khmer lady). Met a lot of expats including a Kiwi most days, and caught up with many old friends.

Competition has certainly hit in Sihanoukville there are now many bars on the beach at Serendipity and Occheuteal Beach with happy hour prices starting from 50 cents US for a draft beer. The highest price I found for a draft was $1 outside happy hour anywhere. Except for Karaoke and night clubs. There are still quiet beaches and spent a few lazy hours at Independence beach. There are also off shore Islands with rooms ranging from $5 to over $1000.

An American Warship was in port and during one of the may power cuts we had the 7th Fleet band ended up at the small hotel where we had a good chat until they had to return to the ship (Midnight was the pumpkin hour for them). Since the power was still out (which means no air-con or fan in your room) A Finnish Girl I was drinking with decided we were going to Karaoke. This at least had a generator so had aircon. Well after a lot of bad singing we closed the place at 2:30 am and found that power was back so it was safe to return to our rooms. One night the 7th Fleet band played a free concert on Occheuteal Beach I took some photos but these are better https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0747555&type=1

well enough for today ill see if anybody reads this and wants me to continue

Submit "Travel blog of SEA" to Digg Submit "Travel blog of SEA" to del.icio.us Submit "Travel blog of SEA" to StumbleUpon Submit "Travel blog of SEA" to Google Submit "Travel blog of SEA" to reddit Submit "Travel blog of SEA" to Facebook

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I always look forward to blogs like yours keep it up!!!!