• Most Active Threads

Rcktfsh

Optimistic sellers

Thread Starter: Rcktfsh

This trader must be pretty hard to outdo as far as optimism goes. Bike has been on the market for a year now, wonder when the penny will drop he''s dreaming at that price. You'd have thought after a year he might have got round to the little bit of tlc required to get running. ...

Last Post By: HenryDorsetCase Today, 10:00 Go to last post
    onearmedbandit

MotoGP 2024

Thread Starter: onearmedbandit

With only 2 days until the new year, and just over 2 months until the season starts it's time for a new thread. Who's your money on? Will Bagnia do the triple? Will Marc return to former glory and bring us a season in which he dominates? Will Martin secure his dream to win a championship?...

Last Post By: SaferRides Today, 07:26 Go to last post
    Tokerau boy

Is there anybody here ?

Thread Starter: Tokerau boy

It’s very quiet 🤐 , I did read about the motorcycle touring Parts of NZ may add one next month when it stops raining

Last Post By: JacksColdSweat Today, 12:14 Go to last post
  • Give Way Rules Have Changed

Give Way Rules Have Changed

Please note that two of the Give Way rules change tomorrow (Sunday 25th March 2012) at 5:00am.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/traffic/arou...user-rule.html

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/traffic/arou...rule-quiz.html

http://www.giveway.co.nz/interactive

Be careful and pay attention!!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Give Way Rules Change Tomorrow started by Mental Trousers View original post
    Comments 40 Comments
      Scuba_Steve -
      Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
      I just tested a change...me turning right giving way to a vehicle turning left and another vehicle turning right out of the road I was turning into, giving way to me...driver said ''well done bro''!...success
      good to see theres still hope for the driving population yet
      FJRider -
      Quote Originally Posted by Scuba_Steve View Post
      good to see theres still hope for the driving population yet
      Believe it when you see it. You'lll live longer.
      pritch -
      I've done the tests, interactive and otherwise, haven't got one answer wrong yet. What worries me is that if I get one wrong on the moped, or someone else does, it could hurt.

I guess the best plan for the next couple of weeks will be to leave early so as not to be under any time pressure.
      GingerMidget -
      In wellington it seems to be business as usual. People still aren't indicating but that won't change. I made it to Island bay, Kilbirnie and back home (cbdish) without being skittled on the scooter, so it wasn't that bad
      Motu -
      Quote Originally Posted by GingerMidget View Post
      People still aren't indicating
      The new rules came in 1977 - in 1978 mirrors and indicators became compulsory for motorcycles. After the new rules indicating became very important, and when turning left you needed to check the cars behind to see if they were turning or not...what a stupid rule. It doesn't really matter if the car turning left is indicating or not - you still can't turn right. Looking forward to much more sensible road rules...it should improve driving.
      pzkpfw -
      Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
      ... and when turning left you needed to check the cars behind to see if they were turning or not...what a stupid rule.
      Did you really need to?

I've always thought the stupid bit was people giving way, not to the car they are facing, but to the car behind that.

If a left turner has to give way to the right turner facing them (rules just replaced) on a one lane (each direction) road, I saw it as "tough luck" that someone going straight, behind the left tuner, had to stop and wait too.

(At least it gave the right turner the chance to get out of the middle of the road where they are waiting. On a busy road with most traffic going straight, the occasional left turner might be the only thing giving that right turner the chance to go).

Of course, what happens is the impatient person going straight drives around the left turner (or the left turner stops half-way around the corner giving space for the straight traffic to pass): that's why the right turner "learns" not to go and the left turner "learns" to just go - so we end up with people doing what the current rules say to do.

So the whole issue became one of people (as usual) making it up as they go along, instead of following the rules.

(Probably half the problem is the overly simplistic examples they use, e.g. where there's no more than two cars ever at an intersection... they are still doing that.)
      merv -
      Well I just ventured over to Lower Hutt and no one seemed to be having any problem at all. The fact the the 1977 rules were just so plain dumb means the bulk of people, including international visitors, will find this so much more natural.

Heading back to the great city of Porirua proved the point. Coming around State Highway 58 you get to the Spinnaker Drive entry into Whitby. The right turners from Porriua have a lane to sit and wait in, whereas the left turners from the Hutt had no lane so used to have to stop and wait holding up the whole line of State Highway traffic behind them. Now that BS is all gone - beautiful. We are finally like the rest of the world again yippee.
      imdying -
      Be safe guys... be as Katman... even only for a wee while.
      Motu -
      Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
      At least it gave the right turner the chance to get out of the middle of the road where they are waiting.
      Most roads these days have a flush margin for right turning traffic - left turn hardly ever does.
      FROSTY:Me -
      heck i don't see what the fuss is all about. Far as I'm concernered no personal road rules have changed. Give way to anybody all the time has kept me alive on the bike for ages.
      FJRider -
      Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
      heck i don't see what the fuss is all about. Far as I'm concernered no personal road rules have changed. Give way to anybody all the time has kept me alive on the bike for ages.
      My thoughts too ...

The assumption ... that because you have "Right of way" ... you'll get it ...
      Scuba_Steve -
      The new rules came in 1977 - in 1978 mirrors and indicators became compulsory for motorcycles. After the new rules indicating became very important, and when turning left you needed to check the cars behind to see if they were turning or not...what a stupid rule. It doesn't really matter if the car turning left is indicating or not - you still can't turn right. Looking forward to much more sensible road rules...it should improve driving.
      shame the sensible rule went out 0500 this morning, now we're left with the same retarded rule as the rest of the world.
      And no rule will ever improve driving expect for one that stops people who can't drive from driving in the 1st place & we're not likely to ever see that.
      merv -
      shame the sensible rule went out 0500 this morning, now we're left with the same retarded rule as the rest of the world.
      And no rule will ever improve driving expect for one that stops people who can't drive from driving in the 1st place & we're not likely to ever see that.
      You lose
      Kickaha -
      Yeah it is a shame, if you coudn't understand the old rule you shouldn't have a licence
      roadrash_69 -
      i knew today would be worse than normal .. so everyone is concentrating on the new rules and the old rules went out the window .. had a ute do a UTurn in front of me .. missed me by centimeters only due to luck and some quick acceleration ... other than that was all good no hassles ..
      pzkpfw -
      Most roads these days have a flush margin for right turning traffic - left turn hardly ever does.
      Yeah, but if the left turner had a flush median to wait on, then the straight traffic (if any) definitely would just go straight, so the left turner (in the rule just got rid of) wouldn't have to wait anyway. I think the point of the old rule should have been that the left turner does block the straight traffic.

Giving the right turners a flush median will be largely because they do need to give way to straight traffic (in the absence of left turning traffic).
      BMWST? -
      it s gonna make some intersection impossible....the only time you can turn right is because there is a left turner who blocks the straight ahead traffic so you can finally make the turn.One particular intersection i will now avaoid at all times,on the bike and in the car
      Gremlin -
      This intersection will be nasty in rush hour: http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?q=Sain...kland&t=m&z=17

As it used to be the left turn queued up a bit but on the side of the road, but now the right turners will easily stretch to the traffic light. They should actually put a roundabout in...
      Ragingrob -
      Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
      This intersection will be nasty in rush hour: http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?q=Sain...kland&t=m&z=17

As it used to be the left turn queued up a bit but on the side of the road, but now the right turners will easily stretch to the traffic light. They should actually put a roundabout in...
      Yup and I'm on Brighton rd waiting to turn right onto st Stephens every morning... The cars on St Stephens used to be able to turn right into Brighton and get out of the way for us turning right, now there's gonna be a stack of cars waiting to turn right for ages and people are going to have to give way out of courtesy for us to ever be able to turn right!

Think I'll be going up Ayr st and just using the lights from now on...
      Usarka -
      Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
      The assumption ... that because you have "Right of way" ... you'll get it ...
      True. Right of way isn't something you have, it's something that's given to you.
  • Todays Events

No events scheduled in
    the next days.

Upcoming Events

• Poll Widget

LED headlamps and foglamps (Votes: 13)

1. I have no problems with others lights (Votes: 0)

2. I’m constantly blinded by bright lights and hate night driving (Votes: 2)

3. Some newer vehicles are too high intensity lighting (Votes: 5)

4. Just hate poorly adjusted lights (Votes: 8)

5. I’m too busy looking at phone to notice (Votes: 0)

6. I’ve illegally modified my lights and dont care (Votes: 0)

7. I ride around on full beam not caring that people can’t see my indicators (Votes: 0)

8. I’m a bat and just use sonar (Votes: 0)