View RSS Feed

Philip's Ravings

West Coast Road (North of Auckland)

Rate this Entry
I was keen to go for a ride today, but alas my normal riding companions all had something on.

So I checked out kiwibiker, and saw there was a normal Sunday ride starting just north of Auckland from the Caltex on SH16.
I'm always a bit cautious about riding with new people, as I'm a bit risk adverse when riding. If someone wants some fun I'd rather they take off ahead, and I'll catch up in my own good time.

So I headed over and met up with yachtie10 and outforaduck. Both were quite a bit more experienced than me, but they didn't seem to mind.

We headed up SH16 and then through to a road I've never been on before, West Coast Road, which pops out by Wellsford (no, not the one in West Auckland).
Everyone was riding in a sensible and safe manner.

I would describe the road as needing intermediate skills and above. The road is sealed, but there are a couple of 30km/h corners, loose metal in several places, and clay and cow shit on the seal in places (this road could be lethal in the wet). If the road was wet then I would say you would need to be an advanced rider.
I would say the road is one of the more challenging I have been on so far.

outforaduck asked if I would like some tips, which I eagerly accepted. He gave me some great tips for improving my line through the corners, and tips on better throttle control. What a difference it made. Now I just need to spend some more hours using the new skills.

We stopped at Wellsford for a coffee and a chat, before heading back again.

I understand outforaduck and yachtie10 are regular attendees as the ATRN. So I might look a attending some time.

Submit "West Coast Road (North of Auckland)" to Digg Submit "West Coast Road (North of Auckland)" to del.icio.us Submit "West Coast Road (North of Auckland)" to StumbleUpon Submit "West Coast Road (North of Auckland)" to Google Submit "West Coast Road (North of Auckland)" to reddit Submit "West Coast Road (North of Auckland)" to Facebook

Comments