View RSS Feed

bittertwistedcute

How to best clean your bike

Rate this Entry
great post...

Quote Originally Posted by Marmoot View Post
Hose it down, then wash it with a bucket of warm water and good carwash soap (meguiar or turtle wax) with a clean soft sponge. Then dry it with a good clean chamois.
Apply good wax (I use Meguiar gold class) on the painted plastic parts, let dry (10-15 minutes minimum), then wipe off with a clean microfibre cloth ($2 at Bunnings, can be washed with hot water and let dry).
Wipe unpainted metal parts (swingarm) with CRC or WD40 to clean any oil/chainlube residue.
Wipe the black unpainted plastic parts (mirrors etc) with a cloth sprayed with Armorall plastic protectant.
I'm not sure about wheels. I'm still fooked with cleaning wheels. I hate it. I normally just ignore them.
Don't do anything to the tyres. Leave them alone.
Methods I use 10 years so far. Still brand new look.
Happy to show results if you want.

Submit "How to best clean your bike" to Digg Submit "How to best clean your bike" to del.icio.us Submit "How to best clean your bike" to StumbleUpon Submit "How to best clean your bike" to Google Submit "How to best clean your bike" to reddit Submit "How to best clean your bike" to Facebook

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

It depends a little bit on your type type; but if you have a sports bike don't put any wax on the paint where your knees grip. Also don't get any wax on the bike seat. Both dangerous.

If your using wax, make sure nothing gets onto the brake pads and discs (or at least be careful with the brakes until you wear the product back off them).

I use a bit of kerosene on a rag for the rims if they are really dirty, but usually soapy water is fine. Some people like using Dynamo (from your supermarket, washing powder).

Personally, I don't like using anything other than soapy water to clean the bike. So many of the chemical products make something look good, and then you find they have some negative impact on using the bike. It's just not worth the risk for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by p.dath
    It depends a little bit on your type type; but if you have a sports bike don't put any wax on the paint where your knees grip. Also don't get any wax on the bike seat. Both dangerous.
    Thanks, I think I clean mine more than I ride it at the moment, always happy to learn a thing or two
    : )
    nearly two years on and my bike is ridden more and cleaned less! Much happier