View RSS Feed

Philip's Ravings

Car driving skills don't convert to motorcycle road riding skills

Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
You often hear new riders who are experienced car drivers complaining that they have to go through the full licence process to get a motorcycle licence. Their primary argument is that their years of car driving experience transfers across to riding a motorcycle, so they should be able to get to a full licence in a shorter period of time.

My personal opinion is that riding a motorcycle requires a different set of skills to driving a car, and that the dangers experienced riding a motorcycle are also different. As a result, having only car driving skills does not sufficiently equip you to ride a motorcycle to the extent that the period of time to complete getting a motorcycle licence should be shortened.

You often get car drivers asking why? So here are some examples of why I think car driving skills don't convert to motorcycle road riding skills:

• Cars can't vary there position greatly in most lanes, especially while cornering. Motorcycles are much narrower and can. So straight away you have a choice of lane position on a bike that doesn't exist in a car.
  • Throttle control in a car while cornering is not so crucial. In an automatic car you have even less control. On a motorcycle good throttle control while cornering improves your stability on the bike, and how tight you can make your cornering line (or rather, affects your ability to vary the corner line and make it tighter).
  • Car drivers don't need to plan out cornering lines in advance to the extent motorcycle riders do. Most times a car can simply come up to a corner, set their entry speed, and their done.
    When your on a motorcycle, especially if there are two or more corners in a row, you really need to be looking ahead to plan out where you want to be on each corner (entry, during and exit).
  • Riding a motorcycle creates more intense feelings of fear when things start going wrong which make new riders want to instinctively do the wrong thing. For example, if you start going wide in a corner throttling off, engaging the front brake and looking at the corner is completely the wrong thing to do. It requires time to learn the skills to override these fear responses and do the right thing.
  • There is no such thing as counter-steering in a car. This is a fundamental skill required for cornering on a motorcycle.
  • In a car you can effectively emergency brake by pushing down hard and stabbing the front brake pedal. Most cars have ABS and will take care of the braking process for you. On a motorcycle emergency braking requires more steps that have to be carefully executed to avoid an off, and the majority of motorcycles on the road have no ABS or assisted braking systems.
  • In a car you rarely need to co-ordinate the use of all four of your limbs at the same time. Most of the time your two hands are on the steering wheel and one of your feet is resting on the floor. Blipping the throttle while braking, engaging the clutch and changing down requires a lot more co-ordination.

There are also many dangers on a motorcycle that need to be planned for while riding that can be largely ignored when driving a car.

• Gravel on the outside or inside of a corner. Doesn't affect most car drivers. Can be very difficult for a motorcycle.
  • Cars are more visible than motorcycles, simply because of their size. So when your on a motorcycle your more likely to be hit because of this.
  • If another car runs into you, and comparing the case of you being the driver in the car that gets hit and a rider on a motorbike that gets hit - your probably going to come off worse on a motorcycle.
  • You can't come "off" a car while driving. If you come off riding a motorcycle your likely to go for a slide, or worse, hit some road furniture. Car drivers don't have to plan or be concerned with abrasion resistance or impact resistance for their clothing.
  • It's not possible to go around a corner in a car staying in your lane while still putting your body at risk. You can go around a right hand corner on a motorcycle, have the motorcycle completely in the left lane, yet have your body exposed to impact by leaning sufficiently to be substantially in the oncoming lane. It's a risk car drivers never have to consider.

Submit "Car driving skills don't convert to motorcycle road riding skills" to Digg Submit "Car driving skills don't convert to motorcycle road riding skills" to del.icio.us Submit "Car driving skills don't convert to motorcycle road riding skills" to StumbleUpon Submit "Car driving skills don't convert to motorcycle road riding skills" to Google Submit "Car driving skills don't convert to motorcycle road riding skills" to reddit Submit "Car driving skills don't convert to motorcycle road riding skills" to Facebook

Comments

I agree that motorcycling requires different skills that driving a car, and I agree with all your points. However, I do think that being able to drive a car does have some impact on how you ride a bike. For example, if you have a full car licence,you should (theoretically) know the road rules and have some knowledge of the dangers of driving. This appears to be what the learner stage of a licence tries to teach new riders/driver. As such I think that maybe the learner stage of a motorcycle licence for a full class 1 licence holder should be shortened or altered. This means that maybe the period of holding a learner motorcycle licence should be shortened for people who hold a full car licence. My 6L test was so easy I think I could have almost done it straight after I did my bike handling skills test, after never riding a bike before, I just needed to know how to give way etc. Obviously having a passenger on a bike makes a much bigger difference on handling etc than in a car, which is why I think the restricted stage of a licence should stay the same length but the learner stage should be shortened if the person concerned has a full car or bike licence if going for the other.
    I don't know why older riders/drivers have a shorter learner/restricted period because there is proof ( I cant find any likes to studies) that older people learn slower than younger people.
    I do agree that different skills are needed for riding and driving, but I do think that some changes should be made to licensing policies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazman727
    However, I do think that being able to drive a car does have some impact on how you ride a bike. For example, if you have a full car licence,you should (theoretically) know the road rules and have some knowledge of the dangers of driving. This appears to be what the learner stage of a licence tries to teach new riders/driver.
    Before you can get a learners licence you have to sit a theory test demonstrating your knowledge of the road rules. This is before you can even ride a motorcycle on the road. So if you know all the rules already, you can simply book in and sit the test.
    Quote Originally Posted by p.dath
    Before you can get a learners licence you have to sit a theory test demonstrating your knowledge of the road rules. This is before you can even ride a motorcycle on the road. So if you know all the rules already, you can simply book in and sit the test.
    I know, but being able to fill out a multi choice scratch test doesn't really mean that you are able to put that knowledge into practice in a stressful situation (most of the incorrect options are stupid and obviously wrong). Holding a full licence of some sort, however, means that you are more likely to be able to do that. I know that conditions are totally different for car and motorcycle drivers, but having a full licence in one should have some bearing on the time or conditions of the other.
    I'm in the "system" now and to be honest, its a very very short amount of time when your busy learning the craft of riding.
    Plus unless your self motivated the current system can make you legal but rather unskilled.
    Thanks for the comments. I agree that the 6L test is just too easy. I have been a car driver for nearly 30 years and only just got my 6L. It is way too easy. But that suited me. I am way more worried about learning to ride than the road rules. I have them under my belt already.
    What worries me is that I did a "learn to ride" course and my BHS test on the same day. I have never been on a motorbike before, I sat on one for a morning, did all sorts of activities with the motor bike. I LOVED it. It was a lot of fun. The BHS test worried me a little, but that went fine too.
    HOWEVER, I am now allowed to ride in traffic! No guidance. No lessons. No one to teach me tricks to make this easier. I know the road rules, but can not ride a motor bike. Every trip is an adventure. It is fun. Please do not get me wrong, I enjoy it immensely. But I truly wish I had someone who could watch me ride and teach me. All I did that one day was ride around a car park with cones at 20 to 30 kph. Now I am supposed to go with the traffic at 70kph. There is no middle ground. With learning to drive a car at least you get a few lessons....can this not be improved?
    For all I know I am developing a whole heap of riding habits that are less than desirable. They are setting me up to fail in future. I do not know what brake to use when. I can use both, or just one, or none at all....but what is better? Can someone help me in this? I read and read.....but once I am out on that road it is just me and my beautiful bike. I just want to make the most of it. I feel that there should be a lot more training available and made compulsary!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita
    HOWEVER, I am now allowed to ride in traffic! No guidance. No lessons. No one to teach me tricks to make this easier.
    Try searching on here for Mentors in your region. You'll find riding with more experienced riders helps a lot. Also you could ask the BHS centre if they know if any rides for learners in your area that you can join.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spearfish
    I'm in the "system" now and to be honest, its a very very short amount of time when your busy learning the craft of riding.
    Plus unless your self motivated the current system can make you legal but rather unskilled.
    It is also as Anita says. I did an additional ride with an instructor before I even sat on my new bike (it was tempting) and I am glad I did. Those three hours of one on one practical learning while riding (using a radio link) taught me so much and was so much fun as well. It may not go down well with some but I think personally that the ride I did should in some way be part of a compulsory (not a popular word on here) training program. I have driven cars and trucks etc for over 25 years, and I felt very little of that had any real relevence to riding the bike for the first time.
    Thanks d.path. I will look for a mentor. What riding programme was the one that you mentioned "one on one with radio link"? I'd be interested in that too!
    The one I did with a radio link was with Rider Skills in Auckland info@riderskills.co.nz and was a Confident Rider Course, worth every penny. The guy out west is Phil.
    Thanks Baptist! I am in Wellington. (Whitby) so it is a little far for me to go. It will take me a week to get there on my 250 at the speed I am going! But I will look into a course here too. I did my original one with roadsafe and found that very useful. Any hint on how to find a mentor?
    Thanks Baptist! I am in Wellington. (Whitby) so it is a little far for me to go. It will take me a week to get there on my 250 at the speed I am going! But I will look into a course here too. I did my original one with roadsafe and found that very useful. Any hint on how to find a mentor?
    I looked after I posted and saw where you were you can look up about mentors on here, plenty has been written, I don't have one, I practice what I was taught by riderskills and will have another "top up" after Christmas to make sure I am doing what I should and that I have not become a bigger dumbass on a bike than I already am, then test and further instruction, expensive but I only have one life (and I kinda like it).
    I am with you Baptist! I like my life too. That is why I am not skimping on keeping safe. I think I will give Andrew another call and ask if he will spend another date with a dummy on a bike! Like you...I plan to keep my life because I am liking it too much!
    Hi Anita,

Philip from Riderskills here. I can thoroughly recommend andrew and Lynne at roadsafe in wellington. They are professionals and work to the same standards that we set ourselves. Get in touch with them on (04) 232 0110 and let them know I recommended them.

Be safe and enjoy your bike.

Philip
    I have to say, even though ive been driving for ten years I was quite stunned at the bike test. Ive only recently passed and now sit proudly atop my 250 cock-rocket, but i have to say its bloody dangerous! Im quite a sensible fella but if i was ever naive enough to think i could just get on a bike and go then i was wrong. The difference is polar opposites between a car and a bike and in my opinion they just cant be compared. Being a 1st class driver doesnt make you a 1st class rider...though i guess it does help
    Hmmm - totally agree

same roads... different skill sets.

If i ruled the world, peop.s would have to ride a bike for 2 years before they were permitted to even THINK of going for a car licence ...

as i see it, this would serve three worthy purposes:-
    a) only the trainable would survive
    b) the survivors would be forever 'bike aware' and
    c) they'd understand the necessity of staying 'in the moment' and totally aware whilst on the roads

I love my bike and wish i never drove a car. The skills are very different, however learning the road code in a cage has helped me with being able to concentrate on my bike. EVERY DAY AN ADVENTURE. I hear that.