View RSS Feed

KiwiPhoenix

Brass Monkey - ride report

Rate this Entry
So having passed my full licence I decided to treat myself and take my ass down to the Brass Monkey (done it last year as a pillion) so having the XJ750 sitting in the garage decided it would be great to give him a good run and catch up with some friends.

So the week before the Brass I got the bike organised, oil change, new battery and got him all ready. So the plan was to leave at 10am and tootle on down to Alexandra and stay with a friend.

The journey down was very uneventful, thankfully. I did however drop in and see the guys at The Battery Centre in Timaru, the look on the guys faces was priceless! I think they were glad to see me, so had a coffee and then on my way!

By the time I got through Ranfurly my hands were so freaking cold and the fog was very thick, so a nice slow ride through to Alex. Arrived in Alex and spent 30mins trying to get heat into my hands. An early night for the rally was in order, not to mention the long ride down had left me exhusted!

Packing up the bike we got ready to go but the bike wouldn't start, he was being a temperamental bugger. Trying to jump start the bike didn't work but it was enough to get the piston going so I hit the starter button and he fired up!

The rally itself was good, great company, some dancing and an early night. The weather was pretty good till the early hours when it started pouring down. Thank god for a waterproof tent!

Getting up and we packed up the bikes, then the ride back to Alex for a shower and some lunch (thanks to Jantar and his Mrs for the hospitality!) Jumped on the bike and with the wet grass and a novice rider I came off in a slow speed accident!

So now lying on the grass wondering what the heck happened I saw a few guys coming to my rescue. They picked up the bike and made sure I was ok but the bike had more damage than me. it had a broken mirror and the indicator lens was cracked. As for me I had a bruised knee and a twinge in my ankle.

Winston001 was kind enough to get me some coffee, this helped calm the nerves and let me assess the damage. I was definitely not looking forward to the ride to Alex, sore ankle and my confidence had taken a knock. FJRider was kind enough to give me some space on the road and let me take the ride at my own pace, he realised that I was nervous.

I made it to Alex and fixed the bike the best I could and then jumped in for a shower, the ankle started playing up so after having some painkillers and some lunch it was time to get myself organised for the 6 hour ride back!

The ride back was as uneventful as the ride down except that part of the ride home was in the dark! I'm used to night riding but nothing like this as I was tired, sore and getting cold. It was turning into an endurance ride for me and I can tell you that I was never so happy to get home as I was that night! After unpacking the bike, a quick hello to the other half, I jumped into bed and slept like the dead!!

The following morning I didn't even think about the bike, more about my ankle which was playing up, so strapped it up and took some painkillers.

The accident was definitely a learning curve for me and it has emphasised the need for me to be more aware about what the bike is doing. Granted the bike being heavy and the grass being extremely wet didn't help, but I can honestly say, if this is the only accidents I have I would be more than happy!

Submit "Brass Monkey - ride report" to Digg Submit "Brass Monkey - ride report" to del.icio.us Submit "Brass Monkey - ride report" to StumbleUpon Submit "Brass Monkey - ride report" to Google Submit "Brass Monkey - ride report" to reddit Submit "Brass Monkey - ride report" to Facebook

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Epic ride bro. Sorry to hear about the drop but you did exceptionally well carrying on as you did. I know heaps of people that wouldn't have had the nerve to get back in the saddle knowing how much riding was ahead. Keep up the good work!
    Well done for doing it solo and for getting back into the saddle.