View RSS Feed

Three months around Europe

Morocco and beyond

Rate this Entry
A New Year. A new challenge. That means a new motorbike tour.

Regular readers of this forum may recall my contribution last year, detailing my 21,000 km , 22 country swing through Europe on my 2008 Suzuki V Strom 650.

I finished the blog by hinting I was contemplating a tour of Morocco and Turkey in 2012. Well I have contemplated and I am off in April 2012 for a four month tour. This year the trip will not be entirely solo as a couple of friends want to join me for the Turkish leg.

Following my return to NZ in September , I spent a few weeks skiing and then headed off to SE Asia for a 2000km bicycle ride through Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. It got me fit. All I have to do now is maintain a semblance of that level.

My plan is to arrive in the UK in mid April, fettle the bike for a week including fitting a belly pan. Then catch a ferry to Northern Spain, cruise down to the Mediterranean coast, catch a ferry to Morocco and brace myself for my first introduction to North Africa.

I will spend four or five weeks in Morocco taking in the desert, mountains and coast, have a break with the Mrs in Marrakech, sampling the local delicacies.

Then catch a ferry to Genoa in Italy , meet my friends and meander on a route to be decided to Istanbul.

From there I will revisit Gallipoli, head for Lake Van and Cappadocia. I have a yen to visit Georgia and from there I can get a ferry to the Crimea and then wander back to the UK via the Baltic states, Finland, Sweden and Denmark.
Well, that is the plan . But don’t hold me to it. I found that I was easily influenced on my last tour to go off the beaten track and just follow my whims.

I will be taking my camping gear, as it gives me independence , I will load up my Kindle with books, my I Pod with crap tunes and take a few changes of clothes. Taking too much just complicates things. Oh and I will add my body surfing fins - I hear the surf is great in Morocco.

But that is a few months away and I have a summer to spend on the glorious Coromandel - fishing, diving, riding, eating.

And there is planning and dreaming to do. If you have any tips that may help me , please let me know.

Submit "Morocco and beyond" to Digg Submit "Morocco and beyond" to del.icio.us Submit "Morocco and beyond" to StumbleUpon Submit "Morocco and beyond" to Google Submit "Morocco and beyond" to reddit Submit "Morocco and beyond" to Facebook

Comments

Tips? Stop posting like this... you're making me bloody jealous
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin
    Tips? Stop posting like this... you're making me bloody jealous

Sorry , please ignore.