View RSS Feed

bosslady

The Touring GN250

Rate this Entry
So nerrrd inspired me to start thinking about possibly camping when I go on my trips. It's hard trying to plan trips around where I can stay for free! Tent etc gives you more freedom, well that's the plan anyway...

I'd been using a bag I got for free from the gym I used to go to. It's been helpful for my trips thusfar but no good for when it starts raining.

So anyway I got this bag: http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/packs-and....html?___SID=U for $99.98 down from $299.98 meant to be waterproof!

It's great and fits the tent, sleeping bag and mattress as well as clothes, toiletries etc.

I also got a second waterproof bag for things I want quick access to I.e. keys, my phone, drink bottle. I don't like wearing my backpack on my back and now I don't have to!:

http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/packs-and....html?___SID=U for $59.99 down from $119.98

And for short trips this bag is still big enough really. It's good because it's got some cap at the end that you can push the air inside the bag out, close the cap and makes the bag more compact.

I also needed a sleeping bag, tent and mattress:

http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/sleeping-...ey-purple.html $89.99 down from $179.98

http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/camping/t...age-green.html $89.99 down from $179.98

http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/camping/s...38-nautic.html $49.99 down from $179.98

I'm not going on another trip for a week and that's only a couple nights and no camping, but I'm hoping to get away around Anzac day.

But, that didn't stop me from having a tutu with packing configurations...

Will be interesting to see how this all works out on the next big trip I go on! Will wait till later in the week and try to figure out how to put up a tent! One last thing I need to get is some longer flat straps, once I put my clothes in the bag the straps won't be long enough to get around the bag especially seeing as I like to wrap the straps a couple times around the actual rack before putting it around the bag to keep it nice and secure!

We'll see how this goes I suppose....

Submit "The Touring GN250" to Digg Submit "The Touring GN250" to del.icio.us Submit "The Touring GN250" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Touring GN250" to Google Submit "The Touring GN250" to reddit Submit "The Touring GN250" to Facebook

Comments

Looks good always good fun to get away.. Be able to do the cold kiwi or something similar where camping during winter is the thing :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant`
    Looks good always good fun to get away.. Be able to do the cold kiwi or something similar where camping during winter is the thing :-)
    dunno if the tent would hold up to that though...
    The Gear looks good ... but the sleeping bag is only rated to +6 degrees C. Minus 6 deg being stated as "Survivable". That means temperatures above zero is comfortable (wear your wooly hat to bed). So summer/(early)Autumn use recommended.
    A two person tent is good for one person. Very cramped for two (with gear) people though.
    The rest looks good. Use zip-lock bags to store clothes you really want/need to stay dry. And dirty/wet clothes you don't want to get your clean/dry clothes dirty and wet. (plastic rubbish bags are good for that)
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider
    The Gear looks good ... but the sleeping bag is only rated to +6 degrees C. Minus 6 deg being stated as "Survivable". That means temperatures above zero is comfortable (wear your wooly hat to bed). So summer/(early)Autumn use recommended.
    A two person tent is good for one person. Very cramped for two (with gear) people though.
    The rest looks good. Use zip-lock bags to store clothes you really want/need to stay dry. And dirty/wet clothes you don't want to get your clean/dry clothes dirty and wet. (plastic rubbish bags are good for that)
    I figured if I wore lots of layers when I was sleeping it would be ok? the better ones were too big when folded up... dilemma? the bags are plenty waterproof too
    Hey that all looks like good stuff to me , really like the waterproof bags (I already had similar 30L and 45L givi ones but yours look way better, especially that one with the valve on the bottom, that's a good idea - and I can't fit the tent in either of mine and they cost more).

Most of that you should be able to use whether you're camping or not - sleeping bag saves on linen etc. I'm using a 30 year old one I inherited, so not sure how it "rates".

Putting up the tent shouldn't be a problem, getting the pegs in was for me but I'm going to have a go at making sharper tips on mine and take a largish rubber mallet with me next time just in case.
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd
    Hey that all looks like good stuff to me , really like the waterproof bags (I already had similar 30L and 45L givi ones but yours look way better, especially that one with the valve on the bottom, that's a good idea - and I can't fit the tent in either of mine and they cost more).

Most of that you should be able to use whether you're camping or not - sleeping bag saves on linen etc. I'm using a 30 year old one I inherited, so not sure how it "rates".

Putting up the tent shouldn't be a problem, getting the pegs in was for me but I'm going to have a go at making sharper tips on mine and take a largish rubber mallet with me next time just in case.
    how did you put the pegs in?
    Quote Originally Posted by bosslady
    how did you put the pegs in?
    Pushed them in by hand as far as I could, then tried a combination of standing on them with boot or hitting them with the small hammer I did take - both of these resulted in most of the pegs just bending over rather than going in any further. Tried a few different spots but no better.

The ground was pretty stony and possibly a bit harder than usual because of the drought? Hopefully not what you usually get in campgrounds.
    Pushed them in by hand as far as I could, then tried a combination of standing on them with boot or hitting them with the small hammer I did take - both of these resulted in most of the pegs just bending over rather than going in any further. Tried a few different spots but no better.

The ground was pretty stony and possibly a bit harder than usual because of the drought? Hopefully not what you usually get in campgrounds.
    wonder if can get metal ones?
    wonder if can get metal ones?
    They are metal, just not very strong I guess.

There's these, but they're pretty big - more weight to carry.

http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/camping/a...er-orange.html
    Updated 7th April 2013 at 20:06 by nerrrd (Doh! forgot link)
    They are metal, just not very strong I guess.

There's these, but they're pretty big - more weight to carry.

http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/camping/a...er-orange.html
    hey they look good eh
    hey they look good eh
    They'd do the job.
    I didn't know you could load so much stuff onto a GN. Will be interesting to see how it handles fully loaded. Can't say much about the quality of the gear, but it looks like you have everything together. Although FJ is right. That sleeping bag might not warm enough, but if you have a backyard just try it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grashopper
    I didn't know you could load so much stuff onto a GN. Will be interesting to see how it handles fully loaded. Can't say much about the quality of the gear, but it looks like you have everything together. Although FJ is right. That sleeping bag might not warm enough, but if you have a backyard just try it out.
    Don't worry. Not intending on going to bed naked...
    Oh no, you had to say that

Just don't take up lane splitting with that tent on the back!
    Quote Originally Posted by arcane12
    Just don't take up lane splitting with that tent on the back!
    Spoil sport!
    Get a silk sleeping bag liner, tiny in size as does add a little warmth, Also good the keep the sleeping bag clean. Thermals don't take up much room and some merino thermals can keep you pretty warm where as too much thick cloths makes you sweat and then makes you cold... You wont get much sleep if its too cold and riding tired isn't the best.

Plenty of DOC campsites accessible with the GN around the country side.... There is a file online somewhere you can open in google earth, I have it somewhere and will email it if I find it, basic sites are free, small charge for others

Let the adventures continue