View RSS Feed

KoroJ's Blog

Go Pro

Rate this Entry
I acquired a new toy this week in the form of a Hero 3 Black Go Pro Video Camera. I didn't really know what I was getting with it, apart from the 32Gb mini SD card I ordered, so when it arrived I went back online and ordered a sunction cup mount, then started to read the instructions and check it out.

Fortunately a few mates have these things, or have used them so a few emails to the likes of BanditRider & XP@ and I had some good info to start with.

The ST is a pretty smooth machine with all the fairings and few exposed screws, so mounting options are pretty much a Ram Mount off the clutch resevoir, but I'm not that keen to film through the screen. I have the Tip-Over bars fitted between the pillion pegs and the panniers to they would be an option, but would show a lot of leg pointing forward and I always ride with the panniers fitted so wouldn't be great pointing back...and hence the the suction cup mount.

Once I received it I found I can stick it to the front, between the headlight and the screen, but it's pretty exposed there. It goes nicely under the mirror on the right hand side fairing and it go on the top of the topbox pointing to the rear, so I set it up on the fairing (applying a safety tether to the forks) and 'had a go mate!' It took quite a few tries to get it right because I had to experiment with the extension mounts to get it sitting square as well as trying it in different positions on the fairing to get a good view. Of course, each time I shifted position, the varying angles on the fairing meant making adjustment to square it back up.

I eventually got it right and the next morning was to big the big test ride. I was off to the gym and going there was still dark so I put it on to as I was leaving and opted to take the long way back to the office....via the Ngauranga Gorge - Hutt Road - Onslow Road....and there was shitloads of traffic so that was interesting for a change!!

I got some good footage and today I needed to go to the Riverbank Carpark in the Hutt to check out for my proposed layout for a slow ride event next Sunday, so set the camera up again.

This evening has been spent experimenting with editing and I seem to have the hang of that now, but I can't seem to get it to upload to You-Tube so I'll need to work on that. Otherwise it 'all good' and I'm pretty happy with the results...

….and what a bloody ripper earthquake today!!

Here's the results: ...and attached is the course on the vid.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	black_rum.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	285263  

Submit "Go Pro" to Digg Submit "Go Pro" to del.icio.us Submit "Go Pro" to StumbleUpon Submit "Go Pro" to Google Submit "Go Pro" to reddit Submit "Go Pro" to Facebook

Updated 22nd July 2013 at 20:20 by KoroJ (Add YouTube link)

Categories
Personal entry

Comments

Have fun... I haven't even started editing footage I'm getting... urgh... another thing on the list.

Don't trust that suction mount too much, I struggled to get it to stick much. It would seem to stick with a bit of wiggling on it, then let go a little while later...

I also have a chest harness, interesting POV, as the helmet isn't an option that would really work for me (odd shapes, flip front)
    Sounds good ... bloody earthquake not fun here though
    Lost mine south of franz josef using suction cup switched to adhesive pads after that, camera survived the fall. What editing program are you using?
    I'm having issues with my GP3. Battery life is about 15 minutes using the regular and extra battry pack. I did the software update but no improvement.

It does shoot nice video though. Also get the Iphone app for the wi-fi. Lets you see the camera view and access the 1,365,456 settings much easier.
    Gremlin;
    That's the problem with riding a dustbox instead of a nice clean smooth sports tourer!! I'm certainly thinking about the chest harness though as seems a bit easier than more clutter on the handle bars.

Insomnia;
    Using Windows Movie Maker. It seems easy enough to clip, shift and add comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jjgres
    I'm having issues with my GP3. Battery life is about 15 minutes using the regular and extra battry pack. I did the software update but no improvement.
    I've found after a few cycles of the battery it gets much better. Further, if you are using the wifi all the time, etc, then yes, it's going to nail the battery quick smart.

Koro... a dustbox?! Damn, she's been called a lot of things, but never a dustbox
    Search ebay for motorcycle usb, put one of those on the bike then get the GoPro skeleton housing. Never run out of battery again.