View RSS Feed

topher1150

Taotaoroa Road, Waikato's version of the dragon's tail. Or the Rimutakas.

Rate this Entry
Having read a post on KOROJ's blog, where he linked a clip taken with a GoPro over the rimutak's, It reminded me of one I made a couple of years back on an $80 Camshot bought off one-day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wWotLf8bXk

It shows two things: technology in bike mountable movie cams has taken some good leaps forward, and, we're so fortunate here in the mighty Waikato to have some great, low traffic volume biking rooads.

The Camshot was mounted on the front indicator stalk, my current R1200GS doesn't have anywhere the limited fixtures the Cumshot came with will mount to. Yet.

Submit "Taotaoroa Road,  Waikato's version of the dragon's tail.  Or the Rimutakas." to Digg Submit "Taotaoroa Road,  Waikato's version of the dragon's tail.  Or the Rimutakas." to del.icio.us Submit "Taotaoroa Road,  Waikato's version of the dragon's tail.  Or the Rimutakas." to StumbleUpon Submit "Taotaoroa Road,  Waikato's version of the dragon's tail.  Or the Rimutakas." to Google Submit "Taotaoroa Road,  Waikato's version of the dragon's tail.  Or the Rimutakas." to reddit Submit "Taotaoroa Road,  Waikato's version of the dragon's tail.  Or the Rimutakas." to Facebook

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

tag Totman road onto that & you have a really nice loop
    Ah, the Taotaoroa Rd. Not quite the equivalent of the Dragons Tail or the Rimutakas, not the same level of vertical challenge, but an absolutely fantastic ride through lovely countryside.

I remember once, coming out where Taotaoroa Rd meets SH29 with a friend on our way back to Tauranga. He said, "When I die, put my ashes in a box, strap it to the pillion of a motorbike, leave the lid open a little bit and scatter me along that road."

But there are so many good riding roads in that area, thank you Waikato.
    There are so many roads around the western Waikato/Waipa/Waitomo ( and every other district ) that have their own special rides. Every road has any number of magical 2 - 5 k sections of smooth flowing bends that brings out the pleasures of riding a motorbike.

The roads through the hills between Cambridge, Morrinsville and Matamata on one side of SH1, and any road in the Waipa/Waitomo area from Maungatautari out to the west coast on the other side.

I have also recorded a run through Taotaoroa rd and put music to it, but its fairly rough compared to this clip.
    Arlo Guthrie....long, looong time since I heard him sing.
    Legend!!
    That aint no Tail of the Dragon, a good ride none the less. Demands caution tho all you throttle jox:
    Busy rural dairying area means....slow turning b-trains around a corner, wandering dogs, cattle and kids. Slow moving quads, large dirty tractors and old utes loaded with yapping dawgs.
    However, it is very unlikely any deer will leap out in front of you!!
    Enjoy carefully folks.