View RSS Feed

STJim

Motorcycling on Vancouver Island

Rate this Entry
A DAYS MOTORCYCLING ON VANCOUVER ISLAND

1. Just before Christmas 2013 we had been planning a trip to Canada and up to Alaska. Taking into account the distance and time to make it worth-while we had booked out three weeks. That left us with eight days at the end to tour Vancouver Island and then to travel through the Rocky Mountains to Jasper and Banff,

2. I had checked out motorcycle rentals in both Vancouver and Victoria, and then flagged the matter as being too difficult, and organized the rental of a car for the whole period.

3. About two months ago I realised that we were going to have a spare day on Vancouver Island. The website of the Motorcycle Rental Company I had been looking at referred to a route from Victoria City to Port Renfrew, Lake Cowichan and back to Victoria.

4. I was aware that I would be able to hire a Suzuki V Strom 650 for what seemed to be a reasonable price.

5. The booking was made for Sunday 25 August. Pickup was at 5.pm on the Saturday evening before to allow for a nice early start.

6. Originally we thought our rental car would be the equivalent of Nissan Tidia we were up graded to a Dodge Avenger. A very up specked model with climate air and satellite radio. On the whole a very nice car, what we would regard here as a medium sized car. It had 2.4 liter petrol motor and a 4 speed automatic gearbox. The most interesting thing was the satellite radio which allowed you to tune into one radio in, which we liked, and leave it on that radio station all the time without having to seek another station every half an hour or so.

7. Driving on the right hand side of the road was interesting, once we got used to the idea it wasn’t too bad.

8. In Canada there are three different traffic signals than what we have. The first is flashing green lights which means proceed with caution; the second is the ability turn right on a red light (the same as turning left for us). We found this out in Fairbanks Alaska when we were tooted from behind at a red light. The third is an intersection where all four roads leading into the intersection have stop signs. This has a similar effect on traffic as a roundabout. Also all vehicles in Canada must run with lights on during the daytime.

9. Returning to our motorcycle story, we went down into Victoria City on the Saturday for a good look around. I’ve heard of Wellington being described as the nicest little capital city. Frankly it doesn’t compare with Victoria which is the capital of British Columbia. It has a very nice compact waterfront area with Heritage hotels, Parliament buildings and close by the British Columbia Museum which frankly is one of the best museum’s I have ever been too.

10. We walked into the motorcycle shop which was close to downtown to make sure of our booking and then returned at 4.30pm. My wife Heather agreed to drive the car back to where we were staying. Fortunately the car had a GPS, the bike did not. She was very nervous, particularly in getting it out of the underground car park but once she got onto the road following the GPS she was absolutely fine.

11. Riding a motorcycle on the wrong side was easier than driving the car; it was a matter of keeping your wits about you and following the other traffic. Without any difficulty at all we made it the 7 kms. To where we were staying (a hosting arrangement through Rotary of which I have been a member of many years).

12. The next morning we left about 8.30, we had memorized the route we would follow out of town and back from the map. It was an early autumn day on Vancouver Island. We found our way out of town onto the main highway and then found the right exit. Most of the route we followed was through forest. When we were in the sunlight it was fine but as soon as we were in the shade of the trees the temperature dropped noticeably. We also had to contend with cyclists, it wasn’t race but appeared to be an organized training ride. There were dozens of them on the road.

13. Speed limits were also interesting; speed signs were on the side of the road and changed periodically. On the road to Port Renfrew the maximum speed was 90kms. Port Renfrew was originally a fishing village about a 100kms out of Victoria.

14. Arriving in Port Renfrew we stopped for an early lunch where we saw other motorcycles. There was a wide line up of all sorts of varieties, and others came and left while we were there. I was quite impressed with the older gentleman with one leg, who was riding a Suzuki Burgman Scooter. There was also the usual line up of cruisers including Yamaha’s, Honda’s and a Cam am spider.

15. We enjoyed fish ‘n’ chips; it was our first and only try of Halibut. A Halibut is a big fish that lives on the ocean floor, similar too, but five to six times the size of a flounder. Over lunch I talked to some of the other motorcyclists, particularly about speed limits. I was informed that there was at least a 10km tolerance however speed limits were not enforced like New Zealand. In general terms you wouldn’t have any difficulty unless you were absolutely stupid.

16. We then went down to the Pub which would have been a very pleasant place for lunch with a nice outlook over the inlet.

17. We returned back up the road and turn off to Lake Cowichan, It was 60kms of picturesque, windy hilly road. I was very impressed with the 650 V Strom which ran well with plenty of pull, entirely happy running two up.

18. The Lake Cowichan area was picturesque. There was some sort of market in a Village green area. We pulled up behind a Harley Davidson with unusual wording on the number plate surround “You touch my bike I’ll F___ your dog”, I’ve never seen that one before, a totally unattractive prospect. Must be a different breed in North America. The rider and his partner whom we ended up talking to however were pleasant and didn’t appear to have any problem with the “rice burner” parked behind the HD He wasn’t the only Harley rider that we talked to on our trip. There seemed to be less of the prejudice we expect from Harley riders in NZ. Stacks of HD's around though. Most HD riders were also wearing "skull cap" type helmets.

19. From Lake Cowichan it was down the Cowichan Valley road, then on to the main highway back to Victoria City to collect our car, and return the motorcycle before 5pm.

20. On the whole it was a satisfying day's motorcycling.

Submit "Motorcycling on Vancouver Island" to Digg Submit "Motorcycling on Vancouver Island" to del.icio.us Submit "Motorcycling on Vancouver Island" to StumbleUpon Submit "Motorcycling on Vancouver Island" to Google Submit "Motorcycling on Vancouver Island" to reddit Submit "Motorcycling on Vancouver Island" to Facebook

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Thanks for the heads-up We're off to Canada and Alaska in August/Sept and staying on Vancouver Idland at my wife's cousin's place in Cowichan Bay for a few days halfway through the trip.

Much appreciated!

Geoff
    I had a lay day on Vancouver Island during my USA-Canada trip in 2011, thought oh sweet, I'll run up the island and back... then I realised it was around 1000km. It looked like a little island

Instead, I went out to Tofino and back, which was also stunning, and even found a couple of gravel roads on the return trip, so it was a very enjoyable day!

On the whole though, I found things like food more expensive in Canada than the USA..
    I'm confused.... you must have been thinking about the trip in Christmas 2012 no?

Good to hear you enjoyed your ride on the Island. I have yet to make it to the Canadian Pacific coast, I need to. Furthest I have been is interior B.C. Speaking of which, how did you like Jasper? Did you do the trip between Jasper and Banff? Not exactly stellar riding roads, but the scenery is good.

If you guys ever make it to Calgary, let me know. BTW - if you ever come to Calgary in the 2nd week of July, it is Stampede Week.... very fun times.
    I am sorry it was just before Christmas 2012 that we stared thinking about our trip. We drove the "Ice Fields Parkway" between Jasper an Banaff It was spectacular.
    We also liked Whistler. Ended up in Calgary from where we flew back to Vancouver and then to Auckland.