View RSS Feed

Shane - Superlite (#43)

Hamilton MCC Round 3 @ Hampton Downs

Rate this Entry

The first two rounds of the Hamilton MCC Arai Winter Series had been great. I'd gotten my first pole position and had some really good results, but I'd also had a DNF in the rain when I withdrew and the points were getting really close. Nathan Jane and I were going to be battling it out for second place in the championship, with first all but wrapped up by Greg Smith if he turned up.

For the last round I'd run out of tyres and I wasn't able to get my usual ones so I was going to have to run on a totally unknown brand of tyre. Not only was the make of tyre different but they were a smaller size as well. On top of that I'd decided that as I wasn't getting the gear change light in sixth at the end of the start/finish the gearing wasn't quite right so I'd gone a tooth larger on the rear sprocket. Plus, I'd been fiddling with the fuelling and ignition maps to try and negate the engine braking that upsets the bike into corners.

I knew the smaller tyre and larger rear sprocket were going to give me better acceleration, but I wasn't sure how much of a difference it was all going to make to the handling of the bike. The smaller tyre meant the rear end is lower making for slower steering, but the smaller tyre made for significantly less rotating mass meaning quicker turn in. How the two would balance out was unknown and I wouldn't find out until I rode it. The first ride on that combination would be in practice/qualifying on the day.

These days breakfast on the way to the track is a Bacon and Egg Pie from the BP that I gas up at. They're pretty good, but I'm sure I'll end up getting sick of it. What doesn't change is a huge coffee in a travel mug.

At the track it was looking like a beautiful day. It was bloody cold but it was dry and the sky was clear. As I'd elected myself to the position of grid marker we went and grabbed some road cones (sorry Gary I forgot to return them again) to mark the rows and for the first time we were able to mark out the grid numbers in chalk. A slow reconnasaince lap showed the track was in mint condition. The only thing we'd have to look out for was the track temperature and the usual debris out wide on turn 6.

The programme was slightly different as the Clubmans guys had missed out on their last race in the previous round so they were going to be the first and last race of the day so that they'd get the same number of races as everyone else over the three rounds. This meant the Intermediate class would be third up rather than second. That was fine as the track would get a little more time to warm up, we'd still get away early and I wouldn't have to rush for qualifying.

For the last round the Intermediate class had a large number of entries so I decided to head out last like I normally do to get some clear track.

Cruising out of pit lane the bike immediately felt angry. It accelerated much harder and felt like it wasn't pointed into the corner as much, both of which I expected. It felt lighter turning in but still felt more stable. At first there didn't seem to be any down side but as I started to pick up the pace I was missing apexes or missing corners entirely but I didn't have enough laps to figure out why.

Considering the guys that had turned up and the mistakes I'd been making during Qualifying I fully expected to be back in seventh or lower but checking the timing sheets I'd actually qualified in 3rd, just ahead of Nathan Jane who had exactly the same time.

Lining up for race 1 I was pretty nervous because Nathan was right beside me while Greg Smith, who was leading the championship, was starting directly behind us. I knew the bike wasn't quite feeling right but I had to get on with things and go as hard as I could.

The lights came up and we were off!!

I got a great start and we headed into turn 1 in start grid formation - Glen Orwin, Ben Rosendaal then me. Into turn 2 and I immediately figured out what was wrong with the bike, the back was sitting down too low so that when I got on the brakes the front was too raked out to turn. Now I knew what I had to do to fix it after the raced but in the meantime I also knew there'd be guys having a go under brakes.

Greg Smith came past out of turn 5, my worst corner. I was pleased to see he was barely able to get past me before turn 6 and didn't have such a huge advantage on acceleration now. Nathan came past me on the next lap shortly followed by Stevie having a go on the wide line into turn 4. I got him back but he had another go a lap later on the inside line and made it stick. Lap 4 and we see Nathan bouncing around on the ground at turn 6 and I get a excellent drive out of there to power straight past Stevie up the hill. Once again he gets me back in the slow parts. He tries to pull away but I chase hard looking for an opportunity. I go deep into turn 5 to try and get a straight line out of the corner and onto the gas early but Nigel spots it and takes the opportunity for a pass, getting between me and Stevie.

I'm trying hard to find a way past Nigel and onto the last lap we blow past Chalky between turn 1 and 2. Into turn 2 I line up for the outside pass on Nigel but Stevie, dragging just a little too much brake into 2, goes down. He slides out of Nigel's way but directly into mine. I stand it up and hit the brakes aiming for the sand pit but Stevie is tumbling right into my path. Harder on the brakes and the back comes up. I'm looking over the nose of the bike straight down at Stevie as the front wheel hits him in the middle of the back. I get thrown off the right side of the bike landing awkwardly and I immediately know something is wrong.

Dragging myself up onto my feet Stevie is crawling out from underneath my bike, on his hands and knees halfway across the sand trap. I stop to see how he is as the Marshals arrive to help us out. He's winded but appears to be ok but it's pretty obvious I'm not going to be racing for the rest of the day. I'm cradling my right arm and need help to get my gloves and helmet off.

The Marshals ask me if I need the Ambulance but now I've got my gear off things are much clearer and I opt for a ride back in the recovery vehicle. They drop both of us at the Ambulance to get checked over while the bikes are delivered to our respective pits. Pam and the other Ambulance Officer get my shirt off to have a look at what's injured and it's plainly obvious that something in my shoulder is busted as there's a big lump and the rest of the shoulder has dropped significantly.

I'm not feeling too bad so they put me in a sling and I head back to the pits to see how things are going. Cherie and Colin have both got things sorted and once they know I'm done for the day and need to get to the Hospital they get things packed away quickly and without hassle. Seeing as I'm slightly useless at that point I decided I'd lighten the load to take home by drinking the beers I brought along, no point in them getting warm. It's decided that Colin will leave his bike at the track and will follow us in Cherie's car and she'll drive mine.

We track down Gary so he knows that Colin's bike will be staying and he's not sure when he'll be back to pick it up.

A couple of phone calls, one to my wife so she knows I'm ok and one to make sure the dogs are locked up when we arrive so they don't jump up at me, and we're headed back to Hamilton.

After getting the bike, gear and trailer sorted out we're back at my place where I order some pizza and my wife makes some coffee. Have to make sure the others are fed etc but also I'm not going near the Hospital Emeregency room without something to eat as I'm well aware I'll be there for hours without food.

After 5 hours at Emergency it turns out I've broken my collar bone and 2 ribs and the break is too complex for them to deal with so I'm booked into the Fracture Clinic a few days later then sent home.

This is the first time I haven't made it home under my own steam from a race day and clearly illustrates why I insist on having someone at the track with me, even if they sit in the corner and knit the entire day. Guys that don't have anyone with them are being irresponsible and are asking for trouble.

Stevie felt really bad afterwards as I'd come off second best from his accident but it was a racing incident and nobodies fault. He went on to have a shocker when his engine blew up later in the afternoon.

I really have to thank

• Cherie and Colin for taking care of things and getting me home safely
  • my wife for taking me to the Emergency room and not yelling at me too much during the whole thing
  • HMCC for a great little series
  • all the volunteers, the marshals, the ambulance crews, recovery guys, the photographers and everyone else for making it all possible
  • all the racers in the Intermediate class for some of the best fun I've had in a long time
  • Craig @ Grey Street Motors
  • Stefan @ DL Consulting
  • Tony, Diane, Boaz and Eve for looking after my bike

Click to enlarge

Click to see the CCTV footage from the track

Submit "Hamilton MCC Round 3 @ Hampton Downs" to Digg Submit "Hamilton MCC Round 3 @ Hampton Downs" to del.icio.us Submit "Hamilton MCC Round 3 @ Hampton Downs" to StumbleUpon Submit "Hamilton MCC Round 3 @ Hampton Downs" to Google Submit "Hamilton MCC Round 3 @ Hampton Downs" to reddit Submit "Hamilton MCC Round 3 @ Hampton Downs" to Facebook

Comments

Bugger about the break Shane, you gave us marshalls some excitement for the day.

Recover well.
    Well thats a bit shit. At least it was low speed. I assume the bike is fine?
    I didn't really think you were the type to go throwing yourself about the scenery...

Guessed wrong

I actually have my ute at the track when marshalling now for random things like that, plus riders on ART days... only time I know of it occurring (you)... I don't marshall for Hamilton
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl
    Bugger about the break Shane, you gave us marshalls some excitement for the day.

Recover well.
    Would've preferred not to give you a reason to charge across the sand trap, but I'm glad you guys were there

Quote Originally Posted by sil3nt
    Well thats a bit shit. At least it was low speed. I assume the bike is fine?
    Bent the footpeg hanger and a clip on. It'll take a hell of a lot longer to fix me than it will to fix the bike

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin
    I didn't really think you were the type to go throwing yourself about the scenery...
    I try not to but this one I didn't screw up.
    Stink! X-ray looks identical to mine a few months ago...
    Quote Originally Posted by sharky
    Stink! X-ray looks identical to mine a few months ago...
    Did yours get operated on? I find out who and when mine gets done tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental Trousers
    Did yours get operated on? I find out who and when mine gets done tomorrow

Nah, it was a 50/50 call and they decided on a 'wait and see approach.'

It works fine now, although the shoulder is slightly lower and I have a lump sticking out.
    Hopefully they will rebuild you and you will be back out there soon.

Cheers for getting me back around the track - I knitted a whole jumper this season. It has been a blast and long may it continue.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDuck
    I knitted a whole jumper this season.
    Bullshit!! My wife is the champion of knitting at the track. Coffee and a chair and she'll knit anywhere.

Been great having you there Ducky. I'll get my sorry arse sorted and get back on track soon as I can.