View RSS Feed

KoroJ's Blog

The Long and the Short of it!

Rate this Entry
It’s odd really, I don’t feel like I’ve done much riding this summer, but the fact is, I’ve done one 1,000 km ride and three 1,000 milers since October and a bit of Conehead stuff since just before Christmas. On top of that there was the 1300km MDA ride before Christmas and the wee scoot up to and around Hamilton then back between Christmas and New Year… and then yesterday, a 900’ish km out and return to Rotorua to attend a funeral …all in all, over 15,000 km.

I guess it’s because I haven’t done many club rides and the km have been compressed into a few weekend bursts, but I figure three 1600+ Km rides within a 6 month period must be quite rare… at least in NZ anyway.

The first was the annual pilgrimage to Turangi for the Nth Island 1600, in which 60 riders took part and I rode with James (XP@) Riley (also on an ST1300). That was blogged here: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/en...e-we-there-yet

The second came about because Murray Gray wanted to do a 1000 miler after he had turned 80 and I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time to be privileged to be a part of his attainment of ‘legendary’ status and that ride is blogged here: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/en...th-of-a-Legend!
With a vid here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctXZ...ature=youtu.be

The third 1600 ride from a few weeks ago has been blogged, but unfortunately I can’t post it because it was an earlybird ride of October’s NI1600, because as one of the organisers, I wanted to get the checkpoint photos for the Rider’s Guide, as well as do it now to free me up to be a volunteer on the weekend, as things could potentially get quite hectic if we get a good subscription to the new Nth Island 800 event that is being included with the 1600.

When one includes the 320 Km each way to Turangi from Wellington, that ride turned into nearly 2300 Km in 27 hours and although I harboured faint hopes that I could have done the whole thing in 24 hours, unfortunately the weather was against me and, at the end of the day, I wasn’t in that much of a hurry nor was there motivation to push the boundaries further than I did.

Distance riding is a strange beast. We often wonder why we continue to do it after overcoming the challenge of the ‘first time’, but Murray has done sixteen 1000 milers and Brian eighteen, while I’ve done ten with three of them extending to over 2,000 Km.

We’re absolute nutters!

Yesterday’s ride was really just a wee pootle that was a trade-off of riding to an economy whilst managing the trip in 4½ hours. Basically a consistent 102-105ish pace with the odd blip, like when getting through Reparoa on the way up and I was 6 minutes over schedule. The weather was OK, but care had to be taken over a wet desert road because there are still a couple of treacherous, potentially slippery sections through there, and when the temp hit 10°, the heated grips got cranked up.

The ride home was much better because when I left at 1630, it was rather drizzly in ‘Vegas, so the wets got donned, but as soon as I got out of town, it was clear and I only got the odd ‘splatter’… and the temp on dropped to 14-16°, …and the Desert Road was dry. I did lose 4 minutes after Waikanae though, thanks to slow pokes in the 80-zones and a couple of bad sets of lights …but an 18.7 Km/Ltr economy was pretty good.

On the other side of the coin, James and I are quite fond of riding in carparks. We are coneheads, but James is more of a conehead than me. He’s so into it, he built up a CBR125 especially and now he’s nearly finished tweeking a CBR600 as well. He seems to like coming off them because then he knows he is pushing the bike to its limits, but it’s paying dividends for him because he now edging into the top ten in the world on the WC-Gymkhana circuit, whereby a course is posted on the internet and participants have a certain time in which to submit videos of their attempts on the time.

So I’m just a nutter, but James is absolutely certifiable!

Submit "The Long and the Short of it!" to Digg Submit "The Long and the Short of it!" to del.icio.us Submit "The Long and the Short of it!" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Long and the Short of it!" to Google Submit "The Long and the Short of it!" to reddit Submit "The Long and the Short of it!" to Facebook

Comments

Funny I was thinking I hadn’t ridden that much in the last few months but on reading your blog realised I was in a similar situation of just doing longer rides with no short journeys. I’ve done enough to be on my second rear tyre this summer so obviously not been too bad.

Having done the TT2000 a couple of times now I was planning to give the NI1600 a go this year as well. However, I’ve just found out today that The Cure have got a gig on in Auckland in July and not sure if the purse strings will cover doing two North Island trips. So hopefully will see you there this year but if not then definitely the next.

Just out of curiosity do you know if you’ve ever had a Spyder do the NI1600 before? Couldn't see one in the pictures. More reason to go this year if I’m the first:-)
    Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown
    ........Just out of curiosity do you know if you’ve ever had a Spyder do the NI1600 before? Couldn't see one in the pictures. More reason to go this year if I’m the first:-)
    No trikes or Spyders yet. A sidecar, a trike and a Spyder-like-two-front-wheeled Piaggio all completed Grand Challenges but I don't believe that event was ever entered on a Spyder.
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroJ
    No trikes or Spyders yet. A sidecar, a trike and a Spyder-like-two-front-wheeled Piaggio all completed Grand Challenges but I don't believe that event was ever entered on a Spyder.
    Even more reason for me to do the NI1600 on my Spyder this year, get in before someone else beats me to it:-)

Thanks,

Jos
    All nutters are welcome at the NI 1600. So Jos, we will be expecting you in October.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatastoner
    All nutters are welcome at the NI 1600. So Jos, we will be expecting you in October.
    Ok I give in to temptation. Just done my registration. See you at the start:-)
    Another well written diatribe (I hope that it means what I think it does)
    I enjoy each one.

NI 800 this year?

would this be around the time of the NI 1000 Northern event? I want to get some more training in this time. Not one ride 2 weeks before.

I will keep an eye out.....
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog
    Another well written diatribe (I hope that it means what I think it does)
    I enjoy each one.

NI 800 this year?

would this be around the time of the NI 1000 Northern event? I want to get some more training in this time. Not one ride 2 weeks before.

I will keep an eye out.....
    Hi,

The NI 800 is the same weekend and start/finish location as the NI 1600. Weekend of the 8th/9th October at Turangi Holiday Park ( http://www.distanceriders.org.nz/the...sland-800.html ) At the moment the web site only has the dates for last years 1000 which was early November.

PS I think the word you were looking for is Discourse i.e. to write knowledgeably about a subject. Diatribe would have lots of **** in it:-)
    Diatribe sounds about right for my blatherings.

1KC's (Nth & Sth) will probably be on 05 November this year, which is the closest Saturday to the 8th (being the anniversary of Grub's passing). I think we have the routes but this ride isn't usually promoted until July or thereabouts and no work has been done yet as we are just getting the NI1600 and the NI800 (Half) sorted.
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroJ
    Diatribe sounds about right for my blatherings.

1KC's (Nth & Sth) will probably be on 05 November this year, which is the closest Saturday to the 8th (being the anniversary of Grub's passing). I think we have the routes but this ride isn't usually promoted until July or thereabouts and no work has been done yet as we are just getting the NI1600 and the NI800 (Half) sorted.
    A rough idea about the dates and what type of event is perfect/approx start area is so I could think about how I can get there/book accomodation etc.

I will have to decide which bike I am taking and get some fitness/riding ability sorted.
    I will keep an eye out, if I cant ride then I will look to see if I can help out somehow.
    Every time I do this (offer help-try and plan something) it all turns to custard

If I can plan it might try for both NI800 and 1KC Northern, we will see.
    NI1600 is just a bit too far at my current ability level (in 24 hrs)
    time passes so quickly
    Carry on with the good work.......