View RSS Feed

KoroJ's Blog

10th Southern Cross Road Rally - Part 2

Rate this Entry
DAY 3 / Leg 2 – 24/03/09 – Bell Block - Cape Egmont - Awanui:
I had a great nights sleep, not requiring my MP3 as I couldn’t hear Steve snoring from his pad in Hawera. I got up about 0800, packed, puttered around New Plymouth, filled at Spotswood, then headed out to the Cape with a wee diversion around one of the bays after a recommendation from a chap at the Service Station.

Once again it was a matter of killing time until we were released so I took a couple of pix and chatted. Once again, we were away reasonably early, following the Bandits and Meanie out in a group of a dozen bikes. It was slow getting through New Plymouth and about Urenui, Steve finally led us past Andrew to lead me over Mount Messenger and the Gorge…..which was Bloody Marvelous.

After that we were passed by a Z14, two ‘Busas & a Blackbird, doing up to 140, so we latched on and let them drag us through to Otorohanga for our first fuel stop and snack. We filled and the forecourt was soon packed with bikes, as more arrived. Then it was back on the road at a more sedate pace, catching and following a Beemer boy (on 1XENA) to Huntly, where we caught Malcolm and Mike at the lights and I took the lead by scooting to the front of the queue. From here it was all expressway, and we eased through the traffic, getting to the motorway at 1630, just in time for peak hour, and as the traffic thickened, I found myself riding alone, so while heading over the north Shore, I sat with the traffic until Steve caught up and we were soon in Whangarei (1820hrs) for our next fuel and dinner stop, to await the sun set.

We filled and headed down the road for a feed, but it was too dear, so we kept going, looking for an open café and in the end, decided Kawakawa would be the best option. At this point we were caught again by the Busa Group so, once again, we latched on until we reached our feed bag, which turned out to be a ‘mighty’ burger (about 10 cm tall and requiring a flip-top head to eat), followed by a visit to the world-famous-in-Kawakawa Bottle toilets.

Back on the road again with Steve leading and we were heading for ‘pucker’ moment number 2. This was similar to the night before, but on this occasion, Steve had his lights on dip and we entered on a straight tack, but once again it was a long, unrolled section of big round rocks and the ST was swimming on it, taking me any which way. ie across to the right side of the road. I managed to get back in my track when Steve started to wander and braked as cars started to rise toward us from the other direction, but there was no way I was touching my brakes so I sailed past, venting a few expletives into my helmet, in thanks to the dickheads that left this mess.

I was now leading as we came upon our next ‘sweet’ strip of macadam….the Mangamuka Gorge….Tena Choice!!! I hit my straps and had a blast, catching the 1XENA Beemer Boy about half way through, following 4 cars at a crawl. With plenty of Rimutaka tight-passing experience and the Beemer letting me through, I was soon gone and let out a whoop as I exited the last vestige of this joyous road then slowed to between 80 & 100 for Steve to catch-up. We were soon filling in Kaitaia, then onto our digs, 15 Km up the road at the Top 10 Holday Park in Waipapakauri Beach (the entrance to 90 mile beach).

We had advised the owners that we would be late, so they left our key in the door and a note on the reception window. We found our cabin and as we were settling in, the Bandit Boys turned up, but they weren’t so lucky and fortunately, we had a set of bunks spare so they joined us….which allowed Steve and Andrew to harmonise, so the MP3 was back in service.
795 Kms for the day at 17.9 K/Ltr Total Kms: 2,206.0

DAY 4 / Leg 3 – 25/03/09 – Awanui - Cape Reinga - Wellington:

This was our big day out and the plan was to try to get to Wellington between 0100 & 0200 the next morning. I arose about 0700, cleaned up and tried to notify the owners about our squatters, but they were shut when we departed at 0815, to meet with Meanie in Houhora. I had checked my tyres and the front was down 5psi to 37, with the back down 2 at 40. The boys advised that Meanie had a compressor so after a pleasant pootle through the Far North countryside in a less than pleasant 8°, we were soon stopped and I felt much better getting the pressures up as the ST eats soft tyres. We decided to stay there for a big breakfast with IanF, who popped an effortless wheelie as he departed on his ST, and by the time we were ready to move on, the temp was up to 18° and rising.

The road into the Cape was as dusty as, so I dropped back to preserve my air cleaner and future economy, and we were among the first to arrive, so had another long but pleasant wait as the Rustys weren’t into early releases. I discussed with Steve that I wanted a quick departure to avoid the dust melee that would no doubt ensue and fortunately, we were among the first away. I passed Steve and a couple of others, as well as a few cars and campers and soon had the road to myself. I avoid gravel on the ST but if I have to ride it I do and I was soon flying away from the Cape at 80 - 100 kph and had a blast.

Once Steve was with me, we settled into a 120 pace to head for our first fuel stop at Kawakawa. I had another nice fang through the Mangamuk’s, and as Steve led us toward Kawakawa, we came upon a 5 metre long strip of roadworks, right across the road. I decided to get out of Steve’s track and headed across to the right side of the road without slowing, but as I entered the gravel, I noted the exit presented a three inch step and I had time to think…”Bugger”!! I hit it at 120 and it felt like both tyres flattened onto the rims and the jolt was so violent that my right hang mirror cover, flew off, snapping the safety-strap in the process and thumping it to the ground. I had to stop for it and was relieved that the good tyres hadn’t blown, stuck the cover back on and carried onto Kawakawa, (1413hrs) where we fueled, snacked and taped the cover up to ensure it didn’t stray again.

After departing, we hooked in with a couple of Beemer boys, who dragged us through to around Warkworth before getting ahead through the traffic. We weren’t too far behind them when we got to the motorway at 1645 and ended up passing them before Spaghetti Junction (where I might note that even I got stopped twice by impenetrable traffic). We were soon out the other side, where I filtered past a cop in a most seemly manner, and down the expressway to Ngaruawahia for our next fuel stop. I had lost Steve again but he pulled in just as I was stopping at the pump and it was 1755. We were going great.

From here I led out toward Otorohanga, turning off at Pirongia to go via Te Awamutu, Kihikihi, Whakamaru and down the Western Access (SH32). It was a few Kms longer than via Te Kuiti – Taumaranui – National Park, but we figured it was a different road to try, less traffic, less revenue collectors and therefore quicker…..and this proved to be the case. I had forgotten how delightful Waipapa road is as it winds around the Mangakino Dam and we were able to sit on 140 virtually all the way from Ngaruawahia to Turangi. What a blast! The road also led us away from the sun-strike as it was setting, but with that came a big slump in the temp and we had to pause at Whakamaru for an extra layer, then after Steve leading, we paused at Turangi for him to clear the bugs off his visor.

The desert road was a bit of a mess with large square sections about 2 inches deep, removed but we were soon filling in Waiouru (2108hrs) because the pace meant that Steve’s ‘Busa might not make Taihape (I was down to 16.3K/Ltr for this leg). From there it was straight down one and I finally pulled into home at 2352 after an awesome day in the saddle. (1100Kms in 11¾ hours)
1,202 Kms for the day at 18.4 K/Ltr Total Kms: 3,392.9
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009-03 102 Taranaki.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	158.2 KB 
ID:	188427   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009-03 104 CE Lighthouse.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	196.2 KB 
ID:	188428   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009-03 113 WaipapaKauri.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	250.8 KB 
ID:	188429   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009-03 121p Cape Reinga.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	587.9 KB 
ID:	188430   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009-03 122 CR Lighthouse.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	254.7 KB 
ID:	188431   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009-03 129p Cape Reinga.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	583.5 KB 
ID:	188432  

Submit "10th Southern Cross Road Rally - Part 2" to Digg Submit "10th Southern Cross Road Rally - Part 2" to del.icio.us Submit "10th Southern Cross Road Rally - Part 2" to StumbleUpon Submit "10th Southern Cross Road Rally - Part 2" to Google Submit "10th Southern Cross Road Rally - Part 2" to reddit Submit "10th Southern Cross Road Rally - Part 2" to Facebook

Comments

I only snore when there's other people in the same room...
    Quote Originally Posted by banditrider
    I only snore when there's other people in the same room...
    Ahhhh Grasshopper.....just like the tree crashing down in an empty forest!!