Thread: Huge variations in insurance quotes?

Bike
    2008, GSR600K

Question Huge variations in insurance quotes?

I've been on-line and phoning around to get some quotes for insurance on my new bike (2001, GS500). I'm feeling more confused now!

I've had quotes for annual premiums ranging from $172 (State) through to $444 (Protecta) and all sorts of variations in the excess.

I have done a search but can't find any info on who ppl are insured with.

Any help & feedback appreciated.
    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Bike
    Ducati Mostro
    David Golightly, don't have any contact details yet... hold on

His ph number is 03 3572428 He brokers motorcycle insurance through Vero
    DUCATI ------- A real bike in a sea of shit!

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS
    Tim at John Baker will do a great quote, 0800 65 62 64, or PM him..... his user name is Jetboy on here

www.PhotoRecall.co.nz

Bike
    XB12R, FXR150, Ducati 400ss, 1125CR
    my vote is for tim...

what a ride so far!!!!

Bike
    SV1000s
    i use kiwibike and have found them good.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    A very cheap quote is no good if the company wont put things right when you claim (State), but a more expensive premium is cheap if claims go through and you get paid full value(AMI). Then there is a huge range in between.
    Time to ride

Bike
    '09 DR-Z400SM; '89 VFR400R, '78 RD350E
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    A very cheap quote is no good if the company wont put things right when you claim (State), but a more expensive premium is cheap if claims go through and you get paid full value(AMI). Then there is a huge range in between.
    What's your problem with State? They were a pleasure to deal with when I claimed against them.

Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    I'm off to shoot a dairy owner and steal a hundred bucks from his till, if he dies, it's the dumb curries fault for not wearing a bullet proof vest.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddad View Post
    New Zealand, where cows are happy, men are men, sheep are nervous and horses are fast because they heard about the sheep.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJafa View Post
    What's your problem with State? They were a pleasure to deal with when I claimed against them.
    I bought a brand new car for $33,000. 2 years later my wife rolled it. The panelbeaters recommended writing it off, but State's assessor said "No, repair it."
    8 months later it was back on the road, using second hand parts, and the quality of repair was poor. The panel beater who repaired it admitted he was ashamed of the job but that it was the best that State would approve. I considered the car unsafe to drive, and traded it in. I only got $13000 as a trade in becasue the dealer who took it said that he would have to spend at least $10,000 to make it saleable. State refused to accept that there was any further liability on them.
    Time to ride

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    The panel beater who repaired it admitted he was ashamed of the job but that it was the best that State would approve.
    That is a cop out Jantar!

Just how long ago did this take place?
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    '09 DR-Z400SM; '89 VFR400R, '78 RD350E
    I bought a brand new car for $33,000. 2 years later my wife rolled it. The panelbeaters recommended writing it off, but State's assessor said "No, repair it."
    8 months later it was back on the road, using second hand parts, and the quality of repair was poor. The panel beater who repaired it admitted he was ashamed of the job but that it was the best that State would approve. I considered the car unsafe to drive, and traded it in. I only got $13000 as a trade in becasue the dealer who took it said that he would have to spend at least $10,000 to make it saleable. State refused to accept that there was any further liability on them.
    Sounds like about the complete opposite of my experience with them.

They paid me out $7,000 for a bike which I'd told them I'd bought 2 months earlier for $4,500, and paid up fully within two weeks of the collision.

Although I was claiming against a Hyosung-riding chap who was insured with them, rather than being insured with them myself.

Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    I'm off to shoot a dairy owner and steal a hundred bucks from his till, if he dies, it's the dumb curries fault for not wearing a bullet proof vest.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddad View Post
    New Zealand, where cows are happy, men are men, sheep are nervous and horses are fast because they heard about the sheep.

Bike
    VFR400 NC30 "Silver Surfer"
    as with anything with insurance companies, it varies wildly from claim to claim, a lot of which depends on circumstances...

I got insurance through kiwibike, highly recommended, very helpful on the phone, arranged things quickly, got a good price and they managed to get a special excess that was being added due to a recent speeding ticket knocked off.

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    I was looking at insurance and was with previously with eBikeinsurance. I wasn't keen to renew as they were pressurising me to renew my insurance a month early. It later transpired that the 12 month policy was for only 11 months. Great. IME - They are a crap company based in Aussie and have a crap credit rating. Earlier in the year they were quite close to going bust.

People on here say Tim Baker, Kiwibike, & Vero etc etc. all of which I have heard good things about. It is always best to go with a firm who know about Motorcycles. I have heard Kiwibike to be the most recommended on this site.

Following in from another Kiwibiker's post I contacted NAC who quoted me an excellent policy at a very reasonable price. So NAC is my recommendation.

Good luck.

BTW: My experience with State is that they are Rip-off artists and know nothing about motocycles insurance. I am sure that others do not feel the same.

Thread Information