Thread: Putting rego on hold?

Bike
    2006 honda vtr250/93 NC30

Question Putting rego on hold?

Just wondering, is there a minimum or maximum period of time that you can put your bikes rego on hold for?

Bike
    Pure coolness...
    minimum of three months,max of a year at a time, can keep puting it on hold for another year at a time,if needed.
    I know you used to be able to do it for 5years at a time don't think you can now tho.
    Harley Davidson: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the side effects of horsepower.

'Fast' Harleys are only fast compared to stock Harleys.

Bike
    cheers, am i able to just do it over the phone? or do i have to hand in paperwork etc.?

Bike
    GSX1100
    How long is a piece of string mate????? how ever long you want it to be............

Bike
    2005 triumph speed 4
    Do it on line before current rego status expires

Bike
    Pure coolness...
    Reading the back of my(overdue..Bugga)rego papers
    it says you can do in shop, online or calling 0800 108 809
    Harley Davidson: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the side effects of horsepower.

'Fast' Harleys are only fast compared to stock Harleys.

Bike
    Eeyore
    Just remember if you put it on hold for say 6 mths then decide you want to get back on the road after only 5 mths you would have to pay the 6 mth rego, you cant even go in the week before the 6 mths is up and renew the rego, you have to wait till the 6 mths is up. So work out how long you actually want it of the road for and take it from there. If your not sure do it in 3 mthly stages, it doesn't cost you anything.

Bike
    cheers, yeah..did it for 3 months online just then

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayray401 View Post
    cheers, am i able to just do it over the phone? or do i have to hand in paperwork etc.?
    I suspect that you can do it all from their website.

EDIT: Someone beat me to it

Bike
    Suzuki GSX400X
    Quote Originally Posted by Motig View Post
    Just remember if you put it on hold for say 6 mths then decide you want to get back on the road after only 5 mths you would have to pay the 6 mth rego, you cant even go in the week before the 6 mths is up and renew the rego, you have to wait till the 6 mths is up. So work out how long you actually want it of the road for and take it from there. If your not sure do it in 3 mthly stages, it doesn't cost you anything.
    The "three month" rule only applies if you apply for rego within the first three months of putting it on hold. In this case only, it will be backdated. Therefore you should always put a vehicle on hold for a year.
    One other tip, if you do find you need to put a vehicle back on the road within three months - you can always put the vehicle in someone elses name - in this case the new rego is NOT backdated and the existing registered owner does not have to pay either. As this costs $9 and rego can be $20 a month..........

Bike
    Crashed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BAD DAD View Post
    Do it on line before current rego status expires
    Or anytime up to 2 months after the VEHICLE LICENCE expires still for free.
    If it wasn't for a concise set of rules, we might have to resort to common sense!

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
    The "three month" rule only applies if you apply for rego within the first three months of putting it on hold. In this case only, it will be backdated. Therefore you should always put a vehicle on hold for a year.
    One other tip, if you do find you need to put a vehicle back on the road within three months - you can always put the vehicle in someone elses name - in this case the new rego is NOT backdated and the existing registered owner does not have to pay either. As this costs $9 and rego can be $20 a month..........
    Confirmed.Wife works NZ Post.If you remove it under 3months backpay unless you change the ownership.After the first 3months no backpay.

Bike
    its pink has tassles and training wheels
    I always thought it was 3 months minimum, and 12 months maximum. But if you decided 2 months after putting the registration on hold that you wanted to get the registration paid and up to date that you had to pay for 3 months registration (even though it was supposed to be on hold). Once you are past the first 3 months of your registration being on hold you then only have to pay the registration fee from the end of that first 3 months onward (its not backdated to when you orginally put the registration on hold).
    My bikes registration is currently on hold. I put it on hold for 12 months at a time. (I didn't want to have to remember to get an extention every 3 months. And I knew I wouldn't be riding for a while. Which reminds me I best check when I need to extend this again). Also be aware that they can cancel your registration completely if you don't remember to extend it once the hold has expired. Mum learnt the hard way with my dads motorbike. She recieved no notice of the extention expiring, and suddenly recieved a letter stating that the bike had been deregistered.

Bike
    Crashed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKiTtiExX View Post
    I always thought it was 3 months minimum, and 12 months maximum. But if you decided 2 months after putting the registration on hold that you wanted to get the registration paid and up to date that you had to pay for 3 months registration (even though it was supposed to be on hold).
    That's correct. Also, provided the exemption is kept current and re-exempted within the 2 months after the last exemption expiry the 3 month period is not reapplied to the new exemption.

Quote Originally Posted by XxKiTtiExX View Post
    Once you are past the first 3 months of your registration being on hold you then only have to pay the registration fee from the end of that first 3 months onward (its not backdated to when you orginally put the registration on hold).
    No - once past the first 3 months of the exemption from continuous licensing, you pay from the day you relicense - no backdating.
    If it wasn't for a concise set of rules, we might have to resort to common sense!

Bike
    its pink has tassles and training wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Preload View Post
    No - once past the first 3 months of the exemption from continuous licensing, you pay from the day you relicense - no backdating.
    Thanks, tried explaining it but didn't end up making sense lol

Thread Information