Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you get off a speeding ticket for incorrect information?

Bike
    Ducati 749 & Zx6rr

Question Can you get off a speeding ticket for incorrect information?

The other day while I was behaving myself I got pulled over for doing 114 kph after passing a car. I was in my car not on my bike, I explained to the that I had just completed passing a car but he said I was back in the left hand lane so should be doing 100kph even if I had just passed (I do alot of travelling so I do behave myself in the car) and he didin't care for excusues. To cut along story short we had a bit of a set too about it with the final result being me still getting a ticket. However when I checked the ticket when I got home the registration number for my car had 3 incorrect digits/numbers. Can I make a submission for this or do I just have to wear it? Can those in the know spread any light on the subject?
    To be old and wise first you must be young and stupid

Bike
    GSX-R 750
    It may not be entirely helpful, but its not whether you can get off so much as whether you Should. I agree entirely with your argument about having just overtaken etc etc but.... You broke the law you should get a ticket. If you could petition that you shouldnt get the ticket because of circumstances (IE just completed an overtake) then all good but not for a technicality.

....Dont panic Im sure my opinion will be lost in a sea of anti police, stick it to em, very soon.

FWIW... I hope you actually do get off (Its a wank situation that I got done for a few years back)

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Four things:

You may have been deliberately given an 'out' with a mistake (unlikley)
    You MAY be able to argue the case and get off (don't count on it)
    You COULD have another ticket arrive in the mail with the correct numbers (not so likely, the cop wouldn't know he'd got the number wrong)
    You may have to pay up

Not the sort of ticket I see as 'fair' if what you said is true - however it is a valid offence unfortunately.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    K4 Busa
    No.

The cop will just re issue another one to you with the correct details on it and will post it out with a "thank you for bringing it to my attention" letter.

Bike
    kawasaki vn800, gpx600r
    dont unpaid tickets become the responsibility of the car owner? dont pay it then the owner of the car with rego on it will get a bill and they will say wasnt me dont even live in that part of the country, or is that only for speed cameras
    or you could just pay it, after all you did break the law
    I cannot put my finger on it now, the child has grown the dream has gone

there'll be no more aaarrrrrggghhhhh but you may feel a little sick

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    No. Haven't seen that one fly ever. It took two years and a visit to the High Court for my wife to "get off" a parking ticket issued to her in Tory, Welligton St in December 1988, when she was working at Auckland Hospital at the precise time the ticket was issued to a completely different make and model of car than the one she owned.

The ticket was issued by an MoT snake, so his word was gospel, irrespective of a mountain of proof to determine that my wife wasn't in Wellington at the time of the offense and never ever owned a car of the make and model it was issued to. He simply transcribed the license plate incorrectly.

The judge went ballistic and fined WCC and the TO for continuing to push the case well past what was reasonable.

You'd be better off being properly contrite for whatever you did.

If anything you;re even less likely to get off on a ticket technicality than back then.
    Last edited by James Deuce; 15th June 2008 at 13:35.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    2001 Bandit 1200S, 1996 Triumph T/Bird
    You were still "speeding."

Write in and explain that you had just passed a slower one, and at the same time point out the error on the ticket... normally the explanation alone would not be enough, but the two combined might be enough to have it waived... or not..... 80 good reasons to ask though.... or 100 if ya add the demerits...

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    if he has the rest of your details....your fucked.
    not only that but when the ticket is checked and found you had a plate on that didn't match the vehicle your gonna get spit roasted.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by avgas View Post
    and found you had a plate on that didn't match the vehicle your gonna get spit roasted.

They are going to do this how? - by running a check on the plate which will show the car belongs to....????
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........

Bike
    hopefully bringing something back to NZ
    My father got of a ticket few years back on the grounds the the officer changed the amount of demerit points he was to be given and as stated on the ticket argued the the officer had no right to alter a legal document judge agreed and threw it out. I would wait and see what becomes of it. whats the rego they put on ticket could be interesting to see what and who it belongs to if it even is a real plate number.
    [SIGPIC][/SIG

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Write in and explain that you had just passed a slower one, and at the same time point out the error on the ticket...
    NO DONT.

Don't do anything. Wait for the 28 days to expire and they will then send you a computer printed one. THEN write in and tell them "This is not my registration plate. My legal advice is to not pay this infringement notice."

If you write in now, they will go "gee thanks man, write you the correct ticket, and you are toast."

DB (member of the KB "get off scott-free" team)
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    Bikeless @ Mo - Injured
    I know of someone who got off a DUI for their name being spelt wrong on the infringement bad huh!
    "World famous since ages ago"

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    They are going to do this how? - by running a check on the plate which will show the car belongs to....????
    eggggzactly. Just tell them "this is not my plate". They will look up the plate they have, and then the "ahhhh bugger" factor will start to set in, and then then "egg on face in front of the judge" alarm will go off, followed by the "why the fuck bother with a 14k over the limit" alarm, quickly followed by the big bright blue "throw it in the bin" light.

DB
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    bucket of rusty old Italian bolts
    Tried this not long ago. They spelt my mane wrong, the street I live on wrong, and the suburb I live in wrong. Also put a non-existant class of vehicle. I wrote them a very polite letter pointing out these errors, and got back a letter saying that a ticket ( Infringement notice ) is not a legal document and therefore doesn't have to be correct. I was really tempted to write back and say if its not a legal document they can't enforce it in a court of law so get fucked. As it was I just paid it cos it was only 80 notes ( 61 in a 50 zone - fuckers ).

So basically I think you'll be screwed too. Good luck though. Write a letter anyway coz that gives you another 28 days or something, or 28 days from when they reply or something.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    eggggzactly. Just tell them "this is not my plate". They will look up the plate they have, and then the "ahhhh bugger" factor will start to set in, and then then "egg on face in front of the judge" alarm will go off, followed by the "why the fuck bother with a 14k over the limit" alarm, quickly followed by the big bright blue "throw it in the bin" light.

DB
    And if they bother to check the guys name, any vehicle he has and see one with the same colour/make/model as the one stopped and a plate with a similar number plate they will figure it out.....

Thread Information