Page 102 of 124 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 1853

Thread: KLR riders out there

Bike
    '91 R100GS Supertanker
    Quote Originally Posted by flockfish View Post
    I have recently had cause to lie my klr down on some sandy patches and against a tree or two.(dropped it) Does anyone have kind words of wisdom regarding crash bars around the tank, radiator, motor.
    Ummmm. Ya should'da had some?
    IT'S JUST BETTER WHEN THERE'S TWINS INVOLVED..
    My GS build thread is here
    My ride photos are here

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Do you have a metal tank? Woodman has a IMS tank that covers the radiator & I think that gives pretty good protection. Bigger fuel capacity too.
    I had crash bars on my 08 which worked really well except when a stick went between them & still broke the plastics.
    I believe a sump guard is more important than anything.
    If you are doing hadcore stuff they'll pay for themselves pretty quickly.
    In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    I have recently had cause to lie my klr down on some sandy patches and against a tree or two.(dropped it) Does anyone have kind words of wisdom regarding crash bars around the tank, radiator, motor.
    Unfortunately KLRs are a bit fragile when dropped, especially the rad guards and radiator. I used to cabletie stitch my rad guards together each time but eventually they looked like Frankenstein. Nordie used to play find the KLR parts there was that much plastic laying around the Nelson area. The radiator is the main concern and mine eventually got stoved in, it doesn't leak but has lost a hell of a lot of surface area so is not that efficient any more. Eventually a slight crash folded my tank in on itself so I got an IMS 6-6 gallon jobby which does away with the rad guards etc and is friggen awesome as far as crash protection is concerned, in fact among other things the bike can be dropped off a 3 metre bank, land inverted and have no damage whatsoever aside from a broken mirror but I'm working on that.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    89 GPX750, 06KLR650
    Due to my plan of doing the DB1K ride in Jan I have just made myself a aluminium skid plate,and ordered
    a IMS 6.6 gallon tank. I ordered from KlR650.com. The size of the tank means it replaces the shroulds that fit onto the front of the tank.

Just be aware that if you order from overseas and your order goes over NZ$400 including postage you well probably get a GST bill when the items arrive in NZ. Unfortunatly I think the Tank is going to come in at just over NZ$400, so I'll probably have a extra $60 or so to pay this end.

I didn't like the look or structure of the radiator guards etc that were availiable for the earlier model of the KLR. So decided on the plastic tank as the answer.

There are plenty of USA sites that sell the tank, and various forms of guards online.

There are also a few KLR forums on the net that can be worth looking at to get ideas of what works well, and what doesn't.

Paul’s Adventure riding Photo’s

Latest photo's

Paved Roads are just another example of Wasted Taxpayer Dollars

Bike
    KLR650 1987, Triumph Speedtwin 1951,
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Unfortunately KLRs are a bit fragile when dropped, especially the rad guards and radiator. I used to cabletie stitch my rad guards together each time but eventually they looked like Frankenstein. Nordie used to play find the KLR parts there was that much plastic laying around the Nelson area. The radiator is the main concern and mine eventually got stoved in, it doesn't leak but has lost a hell of a lot of surface area so is not that efficient any more. Eventually a slight crash folded my tank in on itself so I got an IMS 6-6 gallon jobby which does away with the rad guards etc and is friggen awesome as far as crash protection is concerned, in fact among other things the bike can be dropped off a 3 metre bank, land inverted and have no damage whatsoever aside from a broken mirror but I'm working on that.
    I was worried about the radiator getting stoved in on my KLR, considering the price it would be to replace it i decided to make up my own radiator crash bar out of a bit of tube steel that came from an old school chair, i bent it into shape and welded a fixing plate at the bottom and the top, it bolts on were your engine and frame bolts are at the bottom and bolts on were your radiator bolts to the frame, just like a brought one and i even painted it silver to mach the frame, works a treat, droped it many a time with know damage at all, a must do with a stock tank.

STORMTROOPER

Bike
    800XC
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Unfortunately KLRs are a bit fragile when dropped, especially the rad guards and radiator. I used to cabletie stitch my rad guards together each time but eventually they looked like Frankenstein.
    I hear ya, just replaced my flasher relay (my fix didn't last long) and cleaned my air filter - 6 cable ties later ............. and they were good cable ties, cost a coupla cents each, served me well.............. might have to invest in a big tank

Bike
    '89, KLR650 Tengai - Black
    I've just ordered a Hyde Racing Poly skid plate, bought a tubing bender and ordered a bunch of tubing to build some protection.. figured it was just a matter of time before all that fragile plastic around the front of my Tengai is a jagged jigsaw.. now just need some shed time!
    Hyde Plate here - pic isn't a KLR so trusting that the supplier has got it right, otherwise it might be some heat gun massaging required - http://aviciouscycle.ca/mainpages/pr...?productid=432

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Let us know how it works out - the standard "bash plate" on my '08 has been broken and I don't recall having smacked it *that* hard.

As long as you're making the bottom of the bike less vulnerable, have you looked at getting a low profile drain plug? The standard one sticks down a long way. I got some of these, only disadvantage is that they are stainless, so magnet won't stick.

(BTW, Howie, if you're reading this - this plug is the one you were meant to come and get )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0375.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	407.6 KB 
ID:	253291  
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2006 Kawa KLR650
    Just for a change I dropped the KLR while loading onto a trailer the other day so will be hacking up a Yamahaha TT500 bash plate in the next few days to fit the KLR and scavenging some pipe to see if I'm capable of bending it into a resonable shape to protect the upper bits of the bike. Hopfully the Santa-ette brings me a mig welder (I've dropped enough hints) Keen on one of them low profile sump plugs though. $?

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    Just for a change I dropped the KLR while loading onto a trailer the other day so will be hacking up a Yamahaha TT500 bash plate in the next few days to fit the KLR and scavenging some pipe to see if I'm capable of bending it into a resonable shape to protect the upper bits of the bike. Hopfully the Santa-ette brings me a mig welder (I've dropped enough hints) Keen on one of them low profile sump plugs though. $?
    My KLR's plastic bash plate didnt last that well so it now has a XR650R bash plate - which was simpler to fit than I expected (amazing what you can drive a nail into if you hit it hard enough...)

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Keen on one of them low profile sump plugs though. $?
    I got them from a place called Stig Fasteners in the (with a name like that, where else?) UK.

www.A2Stainless.co.uk item is M12 x 1.50 pipe plug DIN 908 A2-70, 3 pounds, plus another 3 pounds freight. I bought three of them and the remaining two were included in the freight cost, ie 12 pounds for the lot.

You might be able to find something similar locally but the only M12 pipe plugs I could find were 1.25 thread.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    08 Honda 650 Transalp

KLR 650 indicators

Hey KLR boys.
    I have 2 new (still in box) KLR 650 indicators
    1 rear left
    1 front left

Dropped your bike lately?? Need some replacements??

Both for $90

Cheers

Dave

Bike
    Blog Entries
    What year KLR? (dunno if they changed with The Great Facelift of '08)
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    08 Honda 650 Transalp
    [ Quote. What year KLR? (dunno if they changed with The Great Facelift of '08)]

Yes, they are for an 08 or later

Bike
    89 GPX750, 06KLR650
    This thread seems to have slowed down a bit??

I have spent a little bit recently on the KLR, before heading south I ordered, and it finally arrived the week before I left. A IMS tank.

From February 7, 2012

When I was changing tyres before heading south I noticed that the Aluminium in the front wheel hub was cracking where the Speedo drive engages it, and a little piece had broken off. On further investigation I discovered that the Speedo drive worm gear was nearly seized. 30 Min later I had that working properly again.

I then had a search on Trademe for a Front wheel, and what do you know I found one at a very reasonable price, in great condition and off a 2005 bike.

so this arrived while I was down south.
    Paul’s Adventure riding Photo’s

Latest photo's

Paved Roads are just another example of Wasted Taxpayer Dollars

Thread Information