Page 3 of 124 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: KLR riders out there

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
    Sure they'll be building bikes in 20 years. They've been building bikes since 1953 - nearly a decade longer than Kawasaki.

The LC4's been around for 15 years, but they had the sense to tweak it as the years went by. Heck KTM don't even wait for the next 'model year' to implement changes, the bikes steadily evolve continuously. I like that approach better, somehow.
    Evolution is great, but is a concept that the kawaski guys don't quite grasp all that well. Sure the bike is reliable, and is a true do it all kinda bike but why did they not fix things like the doohickey and footpeg mounts and the hopeless crash protection of the radiator . They have had 20 years or so, or even maybe have a kawasaki line of add ons and make some extra $. I spose the KLR must be a cash cow for them so why mess with it. Just been in the shed fixing some of the above mentioned. Hooray for cable ties and loctite and spare bolts.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Evolution is great, but is a concept that the kawaski guys don't quite grasp all that well. Sure the bike is reliable, and is a true do it all kinda bike but why did they not fix things like the doohickey and footpeg mounts and the hopeless crash protection of the radiator . They have had 20 years or so, or even maybe have a kawasaki line of add ons and make some extra $. I spose the KLR must be a cash cow for them so why mess with it. Just been in the shed fixing some of the above mentioned. Hooray for cable ties and loctite and spare bolts.
    had you had trouble with footpeg bolts as well?

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    had you had trouble with footpeg bolts as well?
    Not sure about how they are mounted on 08 and above, but the quality of the bit welded to the frame where the threads are is abismal. The whole bit wants welding on with a good bead top and bottom the entire length, and then some helicoils put in . Or better still angle grind the whole lot off and make a decent one.

They are really startin to bother me considering the abuse they get and the forces on those crappy bolts held in with only 4 threads when I belly or bottom the beast must be pretty high.

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    Not sure about how they are mounted on 08 and above, but the quality of the bit welded to the frame where the threads are is abismal. The whole bit wants welding on with a good bead top and bottom the entire length, and then some helicoils put in . Or better still angle grind the whole lot off and make a decent one.

They are really startin to bother me considering the abuse they get and the forces on those crappy bolts held in with only 4 threads when I belly or bottom the beast must be pretty high.
    On mine - those 4 pathetic bolts support footpegs, engine guards and center stand - a disaster waiting to happen

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    On mine - those 4 pathetic bolts support footpegs, engine guards and center stand - a disaster waiting to happen
    another disaster waiting to happen

Bike
    91 R80GS
    A lot of guys on klrnet swap their bolts with aircraft quality or sumting like that. My bolts falling out wasn't really a fault as such- I think I just neglected to loctite them when I put the crashbars on.

I like my klr

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Ah well since the kiwi $ is .64 cents today I just decided on a wim to order a 6.6 gallon tank. (delivered to work of course so Mrs Woodman doesn't notice)
    Tank eliminates the radiator guards and will protect me wonky radiator and reservoir bottle, and is significantly cheaper than crash bars, and will hold the fuel down low and forward which is good.
    Will post pics when it arrives.

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Ah well since the kiwi $ is .64 cents today I just decided on a wim to order a 6.6 gallon tank. (delivered to work of course so Mrs Woodman doesn't notice)
    Tank eliminates the radiator guards and will protect me wonky radiator and reservoir bottle, and is significantly cheaper than crash bars, and will hold the fuel down low and forward which is good.
    Will post pics when it arrives.
    Sounds good WM. Do you want to catch up in the weekend & I can drop off the doos.

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
    Sounds good WM. Do you want to catch up in the weekend & I can drop off the doos.
    Just hold onto it for now, I may be out of action for a wee while and can't really plan anything at the moment.

Bike
    silly green dirt bike..........DOH
    Blog Entries
    that new tank sounds the ticket...
    they metal or plastic.
    I FEEL THE NEED, THE NEED FOR SPEED
    my ride picshttp://picasaweb.google.com/sueycarter
    other ride pics http://picasaweb.google.com/113645336286831595353

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by junkmanjoe View Post
    that new tank sounds the ticket...
    they metal or plastic.
    Plastic made by IMS, apparently the same as the Marines use on their klrs, there are geen and desert colours and see thru, but i went for a red one cos they faster.

Bike
    silly green dirt bike..........DOH
    Blog Entries
    fair enough... can understand your reasons for a red tank.
    put up some photos when it arrives and ya get it fitted please, thank you ...
    I FEEL THE NEED, THE NEED FOR SPEED
    my ride picshttp://picasaweb.google.com/sueycarter
    other ride pics http://picasaweb.google.com/113645336286831595353

Bike
    91 R80GS
    I went to check the oil but couldn't find the dipstick. I know it's got one somewhere
    [IMG][/IMG]

Anyway I gave up on that & thought while I'm doing some maintenance I 'd better check tyre pressure

[IMG][/IMG]

Couldn't get the pressure thingy working so flagged that & thought I'd oil the chain

Hell they're a bugger to get off.

Stain below bike is from trapped water in the swingarm bolt holder thingy.

Bike
    2007 KLR 650 ( The original Model )

eek Radiator Size

I never realised how skinny the '08 on radiators were compared to the pre '08 models. My '07 radiator is about 40mm deep, but yours looks only about 20mm ? At least they upped the fan from the plastic 3 blade to what looks like about 6 or 7 blade ?
    My KLR thinks it's a Hyundai - running happily at the red-line hour after hour.....

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    You're lucky the radiator fluid didn't need checking too.

Thread Information