Page 4 of 124 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: KLR riders out there

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    seeing it all stripped down like that makes me want to make mine all minimalistic - sort of like a DR650 without the blandness

did it not occur to you to clean your bike before stripping it?

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    The thing was only put together last year.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    Que? That is the cleaned bike.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    91 R80GS
    seeing it all stripped down like that makes me want to make mine all minimalistic - sort of like a DR650 without the blandness

I am really excited once I put the swingarm etc back on, to just put the tank & seat on & motard it over Takaka hill. Maybe then I'll finally get the front wheel up.

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    Quote Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
    Que? That is the cleaned bike.
    yeah sure Colin......

BTW - those massive pictures sure took hours to load on my 2400 modem

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
    I am really excited once I put the swingarm etc back on, to just put the tank & seat on & motard it over Takaka hill. Maybe then I'll finally get the front wheel up.
    I would have thought your klr would have popped the front with the 14T?
    Mine will with a 15T (it needs a 'roll off - roll on' to do it)

did you just take the swingarm off to grease the bushes/bearings?

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Nah just getting to know my bike a bit better. Easier here than half way across the Simpson.

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
    My front comes up pretty easy now especially with the 14 tooth up front. In fact keeping the front wheel off the ground eliminates the need for any front suspension mods.

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    BTW - those massive pictures sure took hours to load on my 2400 modem
    Faster than my 1200/75. Thought it was a KTM at first, it was all orange and black on my monochrome monitor.
    Cheers,
    Colin

All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    In fact keeping the front wheel off the ground eliminates the need for any front suspension mods.
    That must've been Paul's reason. He's only recently sprung the bike for his weight, massive improvement he reckons, but he's still in the habit of 'protecting' the front end by avoiding it touching anything.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Spent the weekend cleaning out the wkshop so I finally have somewhere to work on things.

Kept looking at the KLR thinking ' If I could shift that there & reroute that & get a vapour dash, I could get away with a rather slim bike. Especially if I make up some rear fuel tanks...'

It would be an interesting project anyway.

Couple of questions: Do the vapor dashs have Tachos & if so are they compatible with any bike. Also are the speedos wireless?

Could the radiator be changed to a narrower one without causing problems with overheating? It runs pretty good normally only getting hot on mental climbs.

Finally if any 08 or 09 KLR owners have any broken fairings or know of any shops with broken fairings/ panels etc PM me as I'd like to do bit of a experiment.

Thanks
    BTW I'm not sure how the pics got so big - They seemed alright when I viewed them on my laptop.

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    Padmei, your Swine Flu must be contagious! Did a 40,000km service on the Peg this weekend: fluids, valves and greased the suspension bearings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0903 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	132689   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0913 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	132690  

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    you have started something. Pulled mine to bits today to check the tappets as she has seemed a bit slow for a while now, but tappet clearance is spot on so thats not the problem. Anyway while the radiator etc was off i got to thinking that 2 slimmer ones like on mx bikes either side would be a better idea. Would have to move the reservoir somewhere though, maybe out back.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure the KLR rad could be a lot narrower (keep the same height but maybe half the width. I have blanked off half the rad with duct tape to try and make it run a bit hotter but it rarely gets (on the guage) just out of the "cold" mark.

I'd like to try Watt-mans Thermo-bob.

I have got a pretty munted right side panel - what do you have in mind?
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Padmei, your Swine Flu must be contagious! Did a 40,000km service on the Peg this weekend: fluids, valves and greased the suspension bearings.
    I love the fairing being held out by the rope! Shit they pack a lot of wiring into these machines dont they??
    I now know I really need 2 bikes - one to ride on while the other is being worked on.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    you have started something. Anyway while the radiator etc was off i got to thinking that 2 slimmer ones like on mx bikes either side would be a better idea. Would have to move the reservoir somewhere though, maybe out back.
    Was thinking the same thing. Reservoir could be put anywhere really sideways, a lot of relays to shift. Vapor dash could get rid of the bulky front, Would one smaller radiator work - mine doesn't really get that hot... I love the Husaberg FE450 especially with the rear plastic subframe/ gas tank. I think you could make up something similar in alloy if the air box was somehow fed from the front (ram air?) & the battery shifted. Getting some of that weight lower would be a blessing.

Damn I'm not gonna be able to sleep tonite now
    Last edited by Padmei; 21st June 2009 at 22:00. Reason: Did my first multi- yehaa relly smat now

Thread Information