Page 52 of 124 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast

Thread: KLR riders out there

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Hit some more rocks until the problem fixes itself.

Or, after you are finished removing your chicken strips, take the grinder to the bolt head too.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    I've been looking as well, trying various fastener suppliers in Wgtn, so far nothing. Mushroom head with internal hex would be good.
    If I find anything I'll get a few.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    I've been looking as well, trying various fastener suppliers in Wgtn, so far nothing. Mushroom head with internal hex would be good.
    If I find anything I'll get a few.
    I thought the idea was that you didn't need more than one???

What about the washer underneath - is that a special thing?- it doesn't seem to come off

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    I meant I was going to corner the market and sell them with 1000% markup.
    Or perhaps I was thinking that wholesalers might have minimum quantities, in which case I would pass them on to other KLRistas at cost. Or something.

The crush washer should be replaced after its been used a few times. If you're totally anal you'd replace it at each oil change
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
    Has anyone got a low profile sump bolt? I'm thinking a mushroom head looking thing. The existing is an M17 with 1.5mm thread.
    Tring to find one but no luck.
    My one sits lower than the bash plate & has a few dents from rocks.
    If I remember I could have a look @ work for something that may suit, we got all sorts of stuff that may fit, might be able to manufacture somthing even. About the same thread as a CJ7 spark plug aren't they ?

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Was looking at mine and worrying about that too. Possibly build up the bash plate if no appropriate sump bungs available.

On a cool note, I just realised today that Mrs Woodmans initials are.. wait for it.... K . AL . R. How cool is that.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    KLE400 sump bungs are the same thread as a late(ish) model jap car rear drum brake wheel stud

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Talk about information overload

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    KLE400 sump bungs are the same thread as a late(ish) model jap car rear drum brake wheel stud
    Wonder if Cristian ever put an original one back in ? Suppose it 's better than a wooden plug

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by JATZ View Post
    Wonder if Cristian ever put an original one back in ? Suppose it 's better than a wooden plug
    Nothing wrong with good old kiwi wood

Bike
    Triumph XC 800
    Blog Entries
    Wow! What a lot of info.....I think I will keep an eye on mine....
    "Those who hammer there guns into plow shears will plow for those who do not" Thomas Jefferson

Bike
    800XC

Time to bite the bullet and "do" the doo

G'day - I have talked about this before but have decided it needs to be done now ( '05 with 31k ) - I am not sure if it is running rougher or just seems rougher now I have decided to do the Doohickey! Anyway anyone got advice on where I can obtain the neccesary parts / tools here or do I need to order (eagle mike) out of the states.
    Cheers Crim

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Its not too hard to do the doo, took me an afternoon and that is with making the tools to do it. I am pretty sure Padmei has the gear, so you are welcome to borrow them if he can find them.

Actually I may have the torsion spring doohikey in the shed from some mix up somewhere along the line, I fitted the normal one cos I broke the drill bit when I was drilling the hole to fit it.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    91 R80GS
    yep ive got the tools. I didn't do my doo myself but have pulled the rotor off after a screw fell behind it during a valve check & it isn't too hard if you follow the manual closely.
    I am coming down to chch early aug & can deliver the rotor puller down or PM your address & I'llpost them. You may as well use woodmans torsion spring as it will save you $20.

The only thing I'd recommend you do while you're in there is study how the cam chain adjustor works.

I can't remember who I got the parts from however make sure they are eagle mike as the first lot I got from klr650.com were studebaker which are a ripoff brand. I think I used TPI in Canada. They however sent the stuff via Ausralia.

Quite saisfying getting in there &messing around I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Bike
    800XC
    Thanks guys - it was actually the dusty butt round your neck of the woods that got me thinking ".............. bout time........" will order parts online and see you in early August Padmei - if the parts get here before then - you never know! I may get too impatient and PM my address. I can't wait - there are some good videos online running you through the whole process and doesn't look too scary - touch wood (or a Nordie patented sump plug) I don't hit a snag
    'nother question now that I have done some searching (hindsight 20/20 per normal) - gaskets and rotor bolt order new?

Thread Information