Page 112 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 1853

Thread: KLR riders out there

Bike
    '91 R100GS Supertanker
    I've got the standard Rox Risers in Gus. MarkS also has them on his KLR. We both have found them excellent in improving the riding position & being able to give more room than the standard or after market bars can give, because of their ability to rotate.

In my Odlins Rd crash, the rox risers move back. Probably helped limit the damage to other components, given Gus landed mostly upside down. They were then just rotated forward again & we were in business again.

Unfortunately the rider wasn't
    IT'S JUST BETTER WHEN THERE'S TWINS INVOLVED..
    My GS build thread is here
    My ride photos are here

Bike
    2007 KLR 650 ( The original Model )

Roxy Anti-Vibe risers

Quote Originally Posted by Crim View Post
    G'day KLRites

Been looking at the Rox Pivoting anti-vibe risers (get 'em forward as well as up) - found these action shots on KLR.net - are they as good as they look, would make standing a truck load easier, wouldn't they (I am 6 foot)? - Thoughts, please?
    I got the Roxy Anti-Vibe Risers and they made a HUGE difference on long rides ( TT2000 etc )

Changing to Aluminium handlebars also seemed to make a difference ( I did this way before the risers )

Alu = 20% less vibe

Anti-Vibe Risers = 70% less vibe
    My KLR thinks it's a Hyundai - running happily at the red-line hour after hour.....

Bike
    800XC
    Quote Originally Posted by Crim View Post
    so for part two I borrowd a heat gun and bent the whole thing up and forward (and braced it with some off cut from the off cut), hopefully this will take the airflow up and over my helmet - will advise when I take her for a decent highway run

Well it works - noise is way down but it does start to "flap" a bit in excess of 100ks so stopped in and got some galvanised ceiling ties to brace it lower down - keep on like this and it will crack the $10 mark one thing I have learnt is that if you are using a heat gun on perspex clean it first - those two flies that I thought would burn away are now forever a mark in my windscreen

Bike
    2008 KLR650

oil burning '08 solved for cheap!

So my '08 was burning a scary amount of oil, around 1L/1000km and I was also hovering over the buy button of a 685 cylinder upgrade kit, but luckily, I had a chat to the mechanic at Kawasaki in Auckland (nice people), and they recommended the first thing to try is changing the oil, I was using a semi-synthetic 15W-50 from HiRev, as recommended by bike-bits - turns out a bad recommendation!

So I changed to the Kawasaki recommended Mineral oil - a Motul 3000 10W-40 JASO-AM rated, apparently the JASO-AM rating signifies it's suitable for use with a wet clutch.... and hey presto, oil consumption is totally gone, done 2000 km since and maybe burned 100ml total, saved me a lot of grief and money - so thought I would pass this little gem on to y'all

Also, better / smoother gear changes, no more banging her into 1st on a cold start and a lot less smoke out the back.

Question - is anyone in NZ selling those anti-vibration ROX risers? they sound nice

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Normlas View Post
    apparently the JASO-AM rating signifies it's suitable for use with a wet clutch....
    JASO-MA
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    800XC
    got home from work - banged two new tyres on (E09 on rear and MT21 on front), changed oil and still got to see the sports news

but I did finish work at 2pm

that E09 was a bugger to get on!

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Normlas View Post
    So my '08 was burning a scary amount of oil, around 1L/1000km and I was also hovering over the buy button of a 685 cylinder upgrade kit, but luckily, I had a chat to the mechanic at Kawasaki in Auckland (nice people), and they recommended the first thing to try is changing the oil, I was using a semi-synthetic 15W-50 from HiRev, as recommended by bike-bits - turns out a bad recommendation!

So I changed to the Kawasaki recommended Mineral oil - a Motul 3000 10W-40 JASO-AM rated, apparently the JASO-AM rating signifies it's suitable for use with a wet clutch.... and hey presto, oil consumption is totally gone, done 2000 km since and maybe burned 100ml total, saved me a lot of grief and money - so thought I would pass this little gem on to y'all

Also, better / smoother gear changes, no more banging her into 1st on a cold start and a lot less smoke out the back.

Question - is anyone in NZ selling those anti-vibration ROX risers? they sound nice
    Thats interesting. After Kawakai NZ replaced the piston rings on my '08 (for excessive oil consumption, about 1 litre per 750Km) one of the things they stressed was that I only use semi-synthetic oil. Well as time went on and the oil use remained the same (high) I gave up on the expensive stuff and now use Rotella, still burns oil like a two-stroke but it's cheaper.
    When I have a bit of spare cash I'll be going for the 685.

Re the rox risers - I'm using Renthal fat bars with solid Zeta (?) risers and the vibration seems to be bearable (with standard bar end weights). Gets pretty buzzy over 5000, though.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2008 KLR650
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Thats interesting. After Kawakai NZ replaced the piston rings on my '08 (for excessive oil consumption, about 1 litre per 750Km) one of the things they stressed was that I only use semi-synthetic oil. Well as time went on and the oil use remained the same (high) I gave up on the expensive stuff and now use Rotella, still burns oil like a two-stroke but it's cheaper.
    When I have a bit of spare cash I'll be going for the 685.

Re the rox risers - I'm using Renthal fat bars with solid Zeta (?) risers and the vibration seems to be bearable (with standard bar end weights). Gets pretty buzzy over 5000, though.
    Hi Pete,
    that sounds like good grounds to go back to Kawasaki and get them to change the rings again or even pay for the 685 kit and install, another thing they mentioned to me was that if I had used the semi-synthetic stuff for a longer time, it can permanently affect the bore and rings, something about it 'burning in'. Given the mineral oil fixed my issue, I guess this didn't happen to my bike.

BTW - pannier racks are still great, going to give them the big test this Xmas!

Bike
    bike decoration, 02 1150Gs, 2015 Indian
    hey guys brother is doing a rebuild on his 84 KLR600 1st of the water does have head casket set or where can he get one?

thats just for the start,
    Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. (John 15:13)

Bike
    89 GPX750, 06KLR650
    Quote Originally Posted by _Shrek_ View Post
    hey guys brother is doing a rebuild on his 84 KLR600 1st of the water does have head casket set or where can he get one?

thats just for the start,
    A helpful site for part numbers, and cmparing them to later models is: http://www.kawasaki.com/home/home.aspx

Go to owner info, then parts diagrams enter bike info, and you well access full parts diagrams.
    The head gsaket your after is #11004-1123, which is differant to the one for my 650 11004-1158, so they aren't the same as the later ones?

ebay seems to have a few suppliers.

other places to try could be to have a search on some of the KLR forums for ideas on where to get parts for the 600.
    http://www.klr650.net/forums/index.php

or http://klrworld.com/index.php?option...150&Itemid=233
    Paul’s Adventure riding Photo’s

Latest photo's

Paved Roads are just another example of Wasted Taxpayer Dollars

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    A helpful site for part numbers, and cmparing them to later models is: http://www.kawasaki.com/home/home.aspx
    cheers Howie, will pass this info of to little bro

just re read my post & you still managed to understand what I was saying
    Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. (John 15:13)

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by _Shrek_ View Post
    cheers Howie, will pass this info of to little bro

just re read my post & you still managed to understand what I was saying
    Glad someone did I had had a few Steinys and still had trouble. Maybe I will have a few more tonight and re-read it.

BTW seeing as how the KLR thread has been found (by a BMW rider) I have had a few goodies arrive to start installing this weekend.

320mm rotor and pads.
    Dynojet kit.
    Tee handle mixture screw thing.
    Powermadd handlebar riser.
    Couple of new levers.
    16 tooth front sprocket.
    One way fuel vent (so I don't have to put so much in the tank for the inevitable upside down moment and subsequent fuel loss)

Yay for farkles
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Glad someone did I had had a few Steinys and still had trouble. Maybe I will have a few more tonight and re-read it.

this might help!!! alot easier than then trying to figure it out

hey guys my brother is doing a rebuild on his 84 KLR600 1st of the water cooled, does anyone have a head casket set or where he can get one?

BTW seeing as how the KLR thread has been found (by a BMW rider)
    some one has to for ya!!! coz you always getting lost

I have had a few goodies arrive to start installing this weekend.

320mm rotor and pads.
    Dynojet kit.
    Couple of new levers.
    16 tooth front sprocket.
    One way fuel vent (so I don't have to put so much in the tank for the inevitable upside down moment and subsequent fuel loss)

Yay for farkles
    even with all this new shit on, it will still drown in puddles

Bike
    89 GPX750, 06KLR650

BTW seeing as how the KLR thread has been found (by a BMW rider) I have had a few goodies arrive to start installing this weekend.

320mm rotor and pads.
    Dynojet kit.
    Couple of new levers.
    16 tooth front sprocket.

Yay for farkles
    Have fun fitting all the new bits, Make sure you eiher cable tie or glue the one way vent valve onto the fuel cap. I lost mine somewhere around Lake Onslow on the DB1K last year, luckly I also had a normal vent tube still routed on the bike and just had to cut a couple of cable ties then attach it.

Had a couple of packages arrive recently too. I'm just about to head to the shed to do the doo. I also got the extended piolt air screw, it is a good idea, but still a pain to adjust when the exhaust is hot. I like the Maier handguards I should of broght them ages ago.

The other issue I need to look into is an intermittant fuel problem in the mid range. The bike can run fine for 100's km then starts playing up. So I think i'll be pulling the carb out for a clean if I get time.
    Paul’s Adventure riding Photo’s

Latest photo's

Paved Roads are just another example of Wasted Taxpayer Dollars

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    Have fun fitting all the new bits, Make sure you eiher cable tie or glue the one way vent valve onto the fuel cap. I lost mine somewhere around Lake Onslow on the DB1K last year, luckly I also had a normal vent tube still routed on the bike and just had to cut a couple of cable ties then attach it.

Had a couple of packages arrive recently too. I'm just about to head to the shed to do the doo. I also got the extended piolt air screw, it is a good idea, but still a pain to adjust when the exhaust is hot. I like the Maier handguards I should of broght them ages ago.

The other issue I need to look into is an intermittant fuel problem in the mid range. The bike can run fine for 100's km then starts playing up. So I think i'll be pulling the carb out for a clean if I get time.

Packages are good aye!

I have had maier handgaurds for ages, bloody brilliant, but getting a bit tatty now. Mine does that carby thing from time to time as well, usually I can fix it mid ride by revving the crap out of it for a while, if not I just pull the carb off and clean it. Always fixes it. The reason I got the jet kit was because ever since the WR muffler has been on the bike has pulled like the proverbial, enough to make me change my riding style, but has dropped off in the upper rev range so hopefully the kit will keep the bottom end the same and restore the top end back t or better than before.

Just put the rotor on, its a warp 9 from procycle. All good but the rotor bolts hit the relocation bracket which required some filing to fix. Also the magnetic pick up bolt for the Vapor needed turning down on the lathe and then the pickup had to be relocated. I will email procycle and tell them as the Warp 9 rotors are new to the market I think. Mind you the bike stops now can't wait to test it out in anger tomorrow. Fitted the bar risers too, no issue with cables.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Thread Information