Page 13 of 124 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: KLR riders out there

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Woodman ya slackass

Where's the pics of the new improved tank etc.

Get some pics up while it's still in it's original un-woodmanised shape.
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    At least they didn't loose the drain plug.

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
    Woodman ya slackass

Where's the pics of the new improved tank etc.

Get some pics up while it's still in it's original un-woodmanised shape.
    Um try post number 143 on this thread. And some Nordie vid today on nelson Rideouts.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    SWM RS 650R

.007 cent mod

raised the needle on the carb yesterday, they call it the 22 cent mod in the states, but mitre ten sell the washers for 7 cents, but couldn't bring meself to buy only one so got 6.

Klrs are so bloody esy to work on and had it in in no time, and also drilled the slide hole. First test ride she would not rev at all hhmmm. Rode home pulled the top off again and found nothing so decided that I musta got the diaphraghm in wrong so paid more attention the second time.
    Second test was good, and there seems to be more throttle response, but a decent ride will tell. Have done no airbox mods except remove the snorkel and the pipe is standard still.

Also figured out why me brakes are crapper than usual.
    Because i have the handlebars a long way forward the throttle cables bash into the fairing so I put them under the bars and swapped the starter and brake around on the bar. Problem is that that when you pull the brake in you pull close to the pivot therefore the leverage is crap and 2 finger braking is near impossible. Nordie pointed out the other day that the brakes were shit but I think I had just got used to it.

Bike
    91 R80GS
    So you got better throttle response? I've yet to do that mod but a bit of extra oomph off the line would be good.
    Went for a short cruise last nite (as per ticket post), turned a corner & accelerating away thought something was wrong as it didn't take off that well. Checked the fuel tap & changed down then looked up & saw all the flags flying absolutely horizontally - it was the horrendous southerly blowing 10K bastards head on to the metre square perpex screen

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
    So you got better throttle response? I've yet to do that mod but a bit of extra oomph off the line would be good.
    Went for a short cruise last nite (as per ticket post), turned a corner & accelerating away thought something was wrong as it didn't take off that well. Checked the fuel tap & changed down then looked up & saw all the flags flying absolutely horizontally - it was the horrendous southerly blowing 10K bastards head on to the metre square perpex screen
    Time will tell if or how much difference it makes, but the wind stopped me from doing road tests today for the reason you mentioned.

Gonna try with the airbox door off etc to see if more air is worth it, although I would rather have less power than compromise river crossing depth.

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Been thinking about throttle respnse after yesterday as I hit some ice over the whangas whilst overtaking. The back did a microscopic sideways slide enough for me to think "cool it & don't do anything silly" the guy following me on a Modded XTXR 660 gave it a tiny bit of throttle that started him all over the road.
    This got me thinking that in a great deal of situations I've been in better throttle response would prob land me in deep deep doodoo. Where do you reckon it would actually help? Obviously if you're totally in control of the stuation it is nice...

Bike
    91 R80GS

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Been thinking about throttle respnse after yesterday as I hit some ice over the whangas whilst overtaking. The back did a microscopic sideways slide enough for me to think "cool it & don't do anything silly" the guy following me on a Modded XTXR 660 gave it a tiny bit of throttle that started him all over the road.
    This got me thinking that in a great deal of situations I've been in better throttle response would prob land me in deep deep doodoo. Where do you reckon it would actually help? Obviously if you're totally in control of the stuation it is nice...
    I did a nice 90 deg slide up there yesterday too.
    Well it felt like 90 deg...

Better throttle response may land you in the doodoo sometimes but it's all the other times when it's so useful...

Hmmm... That softer throttle response may be a reason for the KLR's better fuel economy than the DR?

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Better throttle response gives the rider more control. Remember the throttle works both ways; if the rear starts to spin up it can be easier to feather the throttle if it is responsive than if you need lots of elbow action to make subtle differences.

Sluggish throttle response makes for a more relaxed ride, whereas a snappy throttle is more engaging. Clutch & throttle control is an under-rated skill.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    The time I mostly want better throttle response is when coming out of tight gravelly corners when having the back spin up and come out a bit is useful for getting round the corner. Generally the rider will give the throttle that the situation requires, so if your response is better you will get used to it and either take advantage or not.

Took mine to work this morning (need heated grips) and am damn sure that raising the needle has made a difference now.

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Interesting -bit of a chicken & egg conumdron- do you need the skill first to ride excellently with a snappy throttle or will the snappy throttle improve your skills? hmm

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post

Hmmm... That softer throttle response may be a reason for the KLR's better fuel economy than the DR?
    Are all DRs snappy & all KLRs softer though?

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Interesting -bit of a chicken & egg conumdron- do you need the skill first to ride excellently with a snappy throttle or will the snappy throttle improve your skills? hmm
    at the end of the day it is still a klr and it ain't gonna throw you off the back.

Bike
    All of them
    I have done 800km and lots of dirt roads on the long term Kiwirider KLR this week.

I ferkin' love it.

It's the most 'me' single I've ridded since my SR500 in 1977.

It's actually the first one I have liked since then. They've been sticking me on 'Ready to Race' - the bikes might be, but I'm not. I just like plonking along on the dirt. Stopping to take photos and relaxing a bit.

I like the way the KLR is not at all harsh - in fact it's very easy going. Spool it up and it rawks OK. It's good on the freeway, State Highway or a single track.

The shittier the road the more pleasantly it handles it.

Really neat bike.

Thread Information