Page 71 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1853

Thread: KLR riders out there

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Hey marks, the commentator at the beach races said that my bike was the quietest one there. ...
    He also said they were BMW's during the first race.
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post
    He also said they were BMW's during the first race.
    that's a low blow

klr's don't look effeminate....

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    klr's don't look effeminate....
    Nah, they look butch.

In a rugged Lesbian she-wears-the-pants kinda way.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Quote Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
    Nah, they look butch.

In a rugged Lesbian she-wears-the-pants kinda way.
    And that's the way we like it peewee
    In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
    And that's the way we like it peewee
    he ment there riders
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    I've been riding the klr the last two days on some fairly lumpy tracks in the mungatooks.

Today in particular I took it some places I had only previously been on a trail bike.

It will tractor up anything - just awesome low down grunt.

I can't think of too many bikes that I could really enjoy riding in moderately lumpy conditions and then really enjoy riding long distances on as well. For me the compromise factor is just about perfect

what an awesome bike and what a great couple of days riding.
    I agree with you about the low down grunt - although mine is still a 650 (does the 685 add much torque?) up at karipoti the other day I found it was able to get up a pretty shitty, rutted, steep, loose rock track at about 1500 rpm it just chugged on up.
    Would be nice to swap some of the weight for better suspension, though.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    I agree with you about the low down grunt - although mine is still a 650 (does the 685 add much torque?) up at karipoti the other day I found it was able to get up a pretty shitty, rutted, steep, loose rock track at about 1500 rpm it just chugged on up.
    Would be nice to swap some of the weight for better suspension, though.
    Hi Pete

I think the smooth heavily flywheeled low end power delivery is the motors best feature. So often on a heavyish bike in rough conditions a loss of traction means going tits up - much more so than on a trail bike.

I don't think the 685 makes much difference. Uncorking the bike does make a massive difference to low end responsiveness. A stock klr is a bit too 'sleepy' for my tastes.

I'm really enjoying trying to take the klr places that I didn't think it would go. Maybe one day I'll grow some balls and try and get it up cnut hill

Bike
    that black thing above the puddle of oil
    Maybe one day I'll grow some balls and try and get it up cnut hill
    Now you're talking....I'll bring the camera....you know, just for the sake of recording the moment....not for the carnage.

Seriously, I think the KLR would make it. It just depends how many times you're prepared to drop it in the process
    Showing off for the camera since ages ago

Barts Photos
    Barts adventure photo thread

Bike
    KLR650 1987, Triumph Speedtwin 1951,
    Blog Entries
    Hi Pete

I think the smooth heavily flywheeled low end power delivery is the motors best feature. So often on a heavyish bike in rough conditions a loss of traction means going tits up - much more so than on a trail bike.

I don't think the 685 makes much difference. Uncorking the bike does make a massive difference to low end responsiveness. A stock klr is a bit too 'sleepy' for my tastes.

I'm really enjoying trying to take the klr places that I didn't think it would go. Maybe one day I'll grow some balls and try and get it up cnut hill
    Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post
    Now you're talking....I'll bring the camera....you know, just for the sake of recording the moment....not for the carnage.

Seriously, I think the KLR would make it. It just depends how many times you're prepared to drop it in the process
    Dont under estimate the klr i reckon these bikes can just about go anywhere with the right tyres and some simple exhaust and carb mods, your set to go, i almost forgot(and a superman fitness progarm in place)
    Hey Marks we will have to try a run through the pram track, you know your way around in there we could try and tackle some of the more differcult tracks on the beasts.

STORMTROOPER

Bike
    91 R80GS
    The problem I find with them is getting them back up after they've droppped on steep hills. Does your bloody back in.

In saying that I went to help Woodman pick up Big Red the other week & he just plucked it off the ground like it was a kids bicycle - I was hanging on to the back & nearly got flung over the other side of the bike.

Those of you that have been following the Nelson beach race thread may have read how my clutch went at the end of race one.

Over the last couple of days I took the clutch case off & had a look. Now to any of yous that have done this allow 2 days - one to take all the bullshit stuff off & the clutch case & the following day to ponder what can go wrong with such a simple setup, take the clutch basket in & out a dozen times checking for fit & refill your fluids etc.

I couldn't find anything wrong - no glazed steel rings, everything slides nicely, but didn't check warping tho.

I'm left thinking that for some reason the clutch just got too hot & stuck the plates together. I didn't think I was riding the clutch that much.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Also Since I'm changing the coolant s it really necessary to use distilled water? Nelson water although filtered is pretty bad to taste but maybe ok for the engine?

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    So is the clutch working now? Shit maybe you could havr got a few more races in after it had cooled down.

There was that time when we were hooning round that mx track when i dropped mine on the same corner every lap when I physically was unable to pick it up anymore. The sad part was that I then dropped JCs 690 on the same corner and nearly cried when I realsied how light it was.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    So is the clutch working now? Shit maybe you could havr got a few more races in after it had cooled down.

That's what pissesme off. I think when we tittoed with it all it did was take the leverout of alignment. Reckon it would have cooled & the plates shift apart? Had fresh oil & all that.

There was that time when we were hooning round that mx track when i dropped mine on the same corner every lap when I physically was unable to pick it up anymore. The sad part was that I then dropped JCs 690 on the same corner and nearly cried when I realsied how light it was.

I had nearly forgotten that corner... hehehe.
    Oh oh just remembered. If you go into Filco, Chae has a primo pic of you at the races - his flatmate got heaps of shots including all of us. They all knew I was racing (not that I told maaaany people

pooos and wees

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post

maybe I'll head over and have a 'recce' once it cools off a bit - will post something up lateish this month

Quote Originally Posted by stormtrooper View Post
    Dont under estimate the klr i reckon these bikes can just about go anywhere with the right tyres and some simple exhaust and carb mods, your set to go, i almost forgot(and a superman fitness progarm in place)
    Hey Marks we will have to try a run through the pram track, you know your way around in there we could try and tackle some of the more differcult tracks on the beasts.

STORMTROOPER
    I think we could spend a really fun day riding the knarlier main tracks in the Mungy's - will contact you in a week or two. Rode the start of the back bogs behind orange hut the other day. the klr handled it fine but I had a few serious pucker moments. Remember?

Quote Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
    The problem I find with them is getting them back up after they've droppped on steep hills. Does your bloody back in.

In saying that I went to help Woodman pick up Big Red the other week & he just plucked it off the ground like it was a kids bicycle - I was hanging on to the back & nearly got flung over the other side of the bike.

Those of you that have been following the Nelson beach race thread may have read how my clutch went at the end of race one.

Over the last couple of days I took the clutch case off & had a look. Now to any of yous that have done this allow 2 days - one to take all the bullshit stuff off & the clutch case & the following day to ponder what can go wrong with such a simple setup, take the clutch basket in & out a dozen times checking for fit & refill your fluids etc.

I couldn't find anything wrong - no glazed steel rings, everything slides nicely, but didn't check warping tho.

I'm left thinking that for some reason the clutch just got too hot & stuck the plates together. I didn't think I was riding the clutch that much.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Also Since I'm changing the coolant s it really necessary to use distilled water? Nelson water although filtered is pretty bad to taste but maybe ok for the engine?
    picking up a klr is a 2 person job unless there is no other alternative....

does the clutch work ok now?

I overheated the DT clutch on cnut hill and it was like the clutch springs went really soft and the bike wouldn't move (it was boiling as well) but it all was fine once it cooled down and has been ok since

did you clean out the gauze oil filter while you had the side cover off?

Bike
    KLR650 1987, Triumph Speedtwin 1951,
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like a good plan Mark, i look forward to catching up with you

STORMTROOPER

Bike
    B12
    Hey guys, Just bought myself a 09 KLR. Will pick it up as soon as i fix my TLR to complete the trade in (damned suzuki's and their budget electrical systems)

bike seems pretty stock, 7k on the clock, has the standard pipe thats been modified to an almost straight through by the looks. Will get the shop to fit a dynojet kit.

I know the KLR has a couple of issues, wont be doing a lot of off road stuff for a while, maybe the odd gravel road. Oil consumption, and a couple of shit bolts (footpegs and subframe) seem to be a concern. Would like a set of givi crash bars (anyone know the NZ price?) anything else that requires immediate attention?
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNanna View Post
    Wasn't me officer, honest, it was that morcs guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Littleman View Post
    Yeah I do recall, but dismissed it as being you when I saw both wheels on the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by R6_kid View Post
    lulz, ever ridden a TL1000R? More to the point, ever ridden with teh Morcs? Didn't fink so.

Thread Information