Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you cook crayfish?

Bike
    raptor 1000

How do you cook crayfish?

my wife is away for a couple of days and today i was given 4 big crays ordinarly i would leave the cooking to her but cant wait till she comes back, can they be frozen?? they were caught today and are still alive, do you boil them live??

Bike
    EX500s - Ruby
    Just bring them to me..I am an expert and promise to look after them properly!
    Diarrhoea is hereditary - it runs in your jeans

If my nose was running money, I'd blow it all on you...

Bike
    raptor 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by yungatart View Post
    funny thing is my wife is in Napier with my 2 oldest boys at the national U18 hockey tournament so if i gave them to you, you would have to share them with her

Bike
    Smokers and a tractor
    When they stop screaming,they are done.

Bike
    Repsol Blade & SV pro twin
    I've heard that boiling alive is pretty cruel and I think the SPCA are against it.

I think the preferred method is to freeze - they effectively shut down without too much trauma, or so I've heard.

I guess you would then thaw them out before cooking - but I am not 100% sure.

I can't actually see why people rave about them anyway - bloody expensive for what you get - I find the meat ok, but bloody messy to get at it from the legs etc. Then again I am a fussy bugger. Give me a de-shelled prawn anyday.

I'm sure someone here has experience with this. But personally, I couldn't throw a living animal into boiling water.
    Visit the team here - teambentley

Thanks to my sponsors : The Station Sports Cafe and Bar | TSS Red Baron | Zany Zeus | Continental | The Office Relocation Company | Fine Signs | Stokes Valley Collision Repair | CBWD Digital Media Inbound Marketing

Bike
    Repsol Blade & SV pro twin
    Quote Originally Posted by eelracing View Post
    When they stop screaming,they are done.
    Exactly why I couldn't do it - thanks Mark.......you cruel cruel man you
    Visit the team here - teambentley

Thanks to my sponsors : The Station Sports Cafe and Bar | TSS Red Baron | Zany Zeus | Continental | The Office Relocation Company | Fine Signs | Stokes Valley Collision Repair | CBWD Digital Media Inbound Marketing

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    You can put them in the freezer to bump them off. This is reputed to be humane...
    Cook 'em by bringing to boil in water. Don't overdo the cooking or they be tough...

"The general consensus is freezing it first, before putting it into boiling water is the kindest, and fastest way to kill this crustacean. (About 15 seconds according to experimental evidence). Apparently the poor creature never wakes up from its frozen doze, and in its senseless immobile state, hopefully neither knows or cares what happens to it in the pot."

" * To dispatch (euthanise) your crayfish humanely, put it in the freezer for at least 30 minutes. This is the method recommended by the New Zealand Rock Lobster Industry Council.
    * For best results, cook the dispatched crayfish in boiling seawater. If seawater is not available add a desertspoon of salt to the boiling water.
    * After the crayfish is cooked (between 6-12 minutes depending on size) drop it straight into a sink full of cold water for 30 seconds to prevent it from continuing to cook. Remove and let drain and cool. Many people prefer crayfish cold or lukewarm rather than hot! "
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    I think the preferred method is to freeze - they effectively shut down without too much trauma, or so I've heard.
    Use a screwdriver.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    HONDA CBR 250 RR, 2008 250 Kawasaki Ni.
    Exactly what Slofox just said. Enjoy.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    They're just a big, giant, sea-dwelling insect anyway. Kill them with Raid.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Quote Originally Posted by yungatart View Post
    HAha, nice try doll, but he should send them to me, hell I will even pay the courier charge

Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post

Ask Maha about Raid and its effectiveness against rats
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Do not FREEZE them. At least not to a state of 'solid'...the meat will end up mushy.
    I usually drown them in fresh water...immerse head first in a bucket, for instance.
    Bring a (big enough) pot of water to the boil. Pop the critter/s in. Somewhere between 4-7 mins will usually do it.
    You will need to remove the shit tube after cooking. It looks like a blood vessel and runs down the middle of the tail. Get at it by cutting along the underside of the tail, front to back, and break open.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX14 '08
    Nobody tried BBQ, charcoal?? Surprising, I think boiling is not the best way, stick it on a barbi with piece of butter, noice

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirill357 View Post
    Nobody tried BBQ, charcoal?? Surprising, I think boiling is not the best way, stick it on a barbi with piece of butter, noice
    OOOOH YEAH!!
    Kill by preferred method. Cut entire beastie in half, lengthways, Spread a little butter/garlic on the flesh. Place on BBQ shell-down, until bubbling. Turn over to sear the meat. Enjoy.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Smokers and a tractor
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Try that with a packhorse cray and the bugger will snatch it off of ya and beat ya round the head with it.

Thread Information