Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Key announces aid boost for Tonga... WTF?

Bike
    2007 Buell XB12Ss

Key announces aid boost for Tonga... WTF?

just one question... why are we giving money away when we cant even fix shit here...

So here's the thing...

Mr Key said New Zealand's bilateral aid programme with Tonga will increase to $16 million in 2010 and 2011 and further increase to $18 million in 2012.
    but back here in little old NZ there is no aid support package... we have to have a Telethon to help our on country...!!! what the fuck is up with that...???

The idea behind Big Night In is to net at least two million dollars for KidsCan enabling it to make a tangible difference in the lives of 42,000 disadvantaged children across New Zealand.
    hmmm somethings not right here... our own government gives away $16million to aid a tinty island in the middle of nowhere, and the telethon wants to TRY and raise $2million to help 34,000 poor children... thats probably more than the whole population of Tonga... you know the Tongan kings just gona throw another million dollar birthday party with the money like he did last year.

moral of the story... governments are idiots and we are idiots for thinking they will do good things with our tax money.

Bike
    Big, black and slow
    Good question. Particularly when Tonga is the most corrupt, anti-democratic of all coconut islands in the south pacific. Yet he isn't giving anything to Fiji which at least has a history of trying to become democratic. Fiji is a much better investment.

Bike
    None - s'fucked
    Quote Originally Posted by Drogen Omen View Post
    moral of the story... governments are idiots and we are idiots for thinking they will do good things with our tax money.
    +1.

It's something to do with these treaties that we sign up for. Plus all the politicians want to look good in the eyes of the world, so sign nice big cheques (of our money) to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by rachprice View Post
    Jrandom, You are such a woman hating cunt, if you weren't such a misogynist bastard you might have a better luck with women!

Bike
    2007 Buell XB12Ss
    wow... Tonga - Population - 101,134 (2006 census) thats impresive...

$16 million to help that many people... if devided up thats $158.20 per person...

$2million to help 34,000 kids... if devided up thats $58.82 per child...

This realy makes me sick...

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mully View Post
    +1.

It's something to do with these treaties that we sign up for.
    Agreed - and I'm curious to see what's going to unfold over the next few months or years. Key's pretty good at forming alliances to help him get his goals hit (I refer to the number of alliances he has in Parliament - not just enough to govern, but enough to govern even in the face of any one of the partner parties objecting to what he's doing).

I suspect he's doing the same thing here... I just wonder what the end goal is.
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Bike
    Big, black and slow
    Quote Originally Posted by ManDownUnder View Post
    I just wonder what the end goal is.
    I'm hoping it will be to get NZ out of the sewer.

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    I'm hoping it will be to get NZ out of the sewer.
    Ditto... +10 chars give or take a few
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Bike
    2007 Buell XB12Ss
    oh... this just popped into my head...

so we dont get tax cuts aye... geee wonder where all the money's going... oh yeah thats right $16million of it is going to Tonga... oh yeah and the flight to tonga wasn't just for mr Key but it was also for 74 parlament members...

hmmmm cost of flights to Tonga on pacific blue... Blue Saver (cheapest flight) $595.00 (one way) x 74 = $44,030 of tax payers money (i'm guessing Key's wife payed for herself)

Bike
    2015 f800gt
    he used an air force boeing 757

Bike
    Guzzi's , Gilera Saturno
    Bit off considering that the King of Tonga spent a bloody fortune on his last birthday anniversary (or whatever the occassion was). I'm not anti aid but it a bit on the nose when a country allows huge waste of it's own limited money to put on a fancy parade and spit rosting thousands of pigs and flying in International delegates just to make the king feel special. Then they put the hand out

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    It's part of the responsibility that goes with supposed "1st world" status.

You could always move to Tonga and become a big fish in a small pond and "help" distribute aid. I hear the climate is nice except for the hurricane season.

Help kids in NZ? Up to the parents isn't it? At least that's what most KBers say when pressed.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    2007 Buell XB12Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by Delerium View Post
    he used an air force boeing 757
    I know but I'm just making a point to the cost a flight would be on the cheapest plane. regardless what plane they took, fuel for the trip would still have to be paid by some one...

Bike
    '92 Kawasaki ZXR250C
    Who's going to pick apples, kiwifruit, onions, potatoes, asparagas etc... if not Tongans? Alot more than $16M is pumped into the economy from apple exports.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death" - Hunter S. Thompson

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    2007, Suzuki GN250
    Blame Sneddon, he wanted New Zealand to be a little Britain with it's own mini Empire. This is the hangover.

That said I'd rather give $16 million to a third world country than $9 million on a non-binding referendum on child punching.

More cuts to come, Maf layoffs to come, police budgets have been cut knocking on to a $10 million cut to forensic testing, so make sure you're not a victim of crime cos it might not get solved (hmmm, me thinks I've strayed from topic)

Thread Information