Page 51 of 63 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Will I get my 100 ready in time for Taupo?

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I'll slang one out when the bits are back in my hands.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Well a while since the last update. Two reliable meets since rebuild, but loss of power from get go to the tune of 3 or so hp and reduction of spread. Ring to bore. Leakage is 22% so still miserable and I don't understand why it's so bad but it's probably less than it has been before since started to use torque plate. I took the engine out again as the engine mount bolt broke a 2nd time.

I was using a captive nut on a bolt on engine mount plate as access was bad on LH side. So it broke at the threads, which is understandable. Answer really is to not use threads as an engine mount. Bit more grinding and I put the bolt in from the other side and will use a nut now new bolt is resting on its shaft through a hole in frame mount (12mm aly) with only tension on here threads rather than shear. Made the bolt on plate thicker as well.

Decided to measure primary leakage. SSSSSssssss. Wouldn't hold a sausage. Leaking through the rear devconed inlet. There's a crack leading down to the base from the con rod damage ages back. I is just need to find some time to remake the barrel. Won't be soon so I plugged it all up and within 1/2 doz tests managed to get it to hold some charge for a little time as opposed to no time. Leaking hp from both ends. Fantastic.

tomorrow I'll throw it back together and then look to re-ring the 50 which is a little down on power.

still some testing to do on the 100. I'd like to get the solinoid carb working but we'll see.

so will it be ready for ? . Erm. Tauporoa?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Well everything is drippy. But the hp came back, now I know why. It'll no doubt start leaking again as the barrel moves again, but good for now. Gearbox leak was duff side case gasket so I've just custom cut another for the custom case. Now pump interface drips.

didn't have any joy with pj carb so a later day. Few more things like stinger join retention to work on so can't slip out & it'll be park it up ready and start on the 50

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Golly it's been a few month and have parked it since the GP. Went like a rocket but was so peaky that it was a pig around the hairpin wheelie or bog. Then it got slower as time went on.

bore worn past next couple of oversizes. Turns out I shortened the piston too far and that's why it wouldn't get ring seal, as it would cock in the bore. . . Unlike a cock.

so new barrel time. This time a I won't shorten the back of the back of the barrel so much and not the piston. I'll also triple port the ex like I did all those years ago, but I'll keep the ex lower and try get some spread back so it is rideable on tight ccts.

Port ripped it, have to make an insert fit so enlisting help. Sadly time is marching on and the BoB is closing in.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    cor time is marching on. I've triple ported the barrel & left the ex at std height at this stage. it is destroked so that alters things, but still a weird state of affairs. Its getting bored now as its impossible to measure up until the bore is right as it alters the timing. Looking after the kids most of the weekend but hope to get the barrel close to sorted & have a short time to then get welded up for the cut off ex port and water jacket. Just been looking at my pipe dimensions again (I borrowed an old design to get me started & it is well wrong now I look at it applying some of Wob's general rule of thumb percentages, but no time to change it now.

Must get some mid range & get ring sealing properly which the longer skirt should do. 3 weeks till Kaitoke so I can get a shake down run before the BoB.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    cor time is marching on. I've triple ported the barrel & left the ex at std height at this stage. it is destroked so that alters things, but still a weird state of affairs. Its getting bored now as its impossible to measure up until the bore is right as it alters the timing. Looking after the kids most of the weekend but hope to get the barrel close to sorted & have a short time to then get welded up for the cut off ex port and water jacket. Just been looking at my pipe dimensions again (I borrowed an old design to get me started & it is well wrong now I look at it applying some of Wob's general rule of thumb percentages, but no time to change it now.

Must get some mid range & get ring sealing properly which the longer skirt should do. 3 weeks till Kaitoke so I can get a shake down run before the BoB.
    Your pipe can't be wrong, it's the sweetest sounding bucket ever!

Bike
    Blog Entries
    aww that's touching

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Starting to get there, just a roughed out pic of the port

I pushed the barrel in the cases to see how much the full case reed inlet was obstructed. Answer: a lot. The last iteration had too much sleeve skirt removed so I've compromised and take the sides off and the area the piston doesn't get to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	triple ex port2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	482.8 KB 
ID:	300499  

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Another sunny day spent in the garage. Made all the bits off ally for the water jacket and plugged the holes for the aux port access entry's. Just need to get the welding done carefully. If it leaks it's no good as it can't be fixed easily so bit scary. Got the pipe bits tacked on ready for someone to weld properly. Ex timing is super low at 192 degrees for now. As easy to try just to see if I can get some spread.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Well we're looking beauty all welded up, just ready for a hone & bolt it back together. Pipe modded (thanks Koba for welding).

Went to test though and sadly it leaks from jacket to port. That was always going to be a crucial weld, and hard as is thin there; going from 6062 to Honda shity casing. Note the porosity holes near o-ring,.

So now what was going to be ok timewise is a real issue and concern for the whole project. Has to be cut open to try again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	welded jacket 1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	514.3 KB 
ID:	300898   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	welded jacket 2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	520.4 KB 
ID:	300899   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	welded jacket 3.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	528.6 KB 
ID:	300900  

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    At least you didn't end up with tread plate welded on

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Well we're looking beauty all welded up, just ready for a hone & bolt it back together. Pipe modded (thanks Koba for welding).

Went to test though and sadly it leaks from jacket to port. That was always going to be a crucial weld, and hard as is thin there; going from 6062 to Honda shity casing. Note the porosity holes near o-ring,.

So now what was going to be ok timewise is a real issue and concern for the whole project. Has to be cut open to try again.
    Dave there used to be a radiator stop leak powder or granule available. You would add it to your radiator fluid. I used it to bung up a pin hole in a similar area to what I think you are talking about. Well worth a try before you go cutting your shit open.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I've used that stuff before but I think this is too much. If it fails if it did work I could lose the water and fry the engine. We're cutting the front of the jacket off and trying again. Also I know from experience with my porous CPI 496 barrel that water leaking that close will blow into the engine leading to running issues.

Will weld and try smear Devon (or rather JB weld) over the affected area as belt and braces. That will mean the jacket going back on will need to only be tacked and glued so not to fry the epoxy. It should survive in use as covered by water not directly exposed to exhaust gases.

Bike
    Several
    Damn! this welding business seems fraught with danger.
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    Blog Entries
    well its been a mission, but Karl had the idea of blocking up the port on the cylinder with some rubber and a tube & the other side with a pressure bung he had & presurising the heck out of it. fouund the leak and then another smaller one around a tricky corner. sorted & welded the jacket back on. back to kart guy to hone, but he was busy with enduro coming up, but he came through. back together tonight. I've done this enough times putting engines together that I didn't really need to start it, I'm not a kid. . . besides its almost 11 & I'd have to start it down the pavement by the neighbours (wouldn't want to wake my kids). But too late & don't really need to.[mixes gas] oh hears teh rain & its flogging it down (turns on gas).

BRWAAAHHH ring ring.

ok that's enough & didn't rev it at all, i'm not a total prick.

So SHWEETT! Bring on some fine weather on Sunday for the shakedown run.

Hmm, I guess I could slide off to the dyno now. . .

Nah. time for sleep.

Thread Information