Thread: Semi-locked up suspension

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125

Semi-locked up suspension

noticed i needed to replace a fork seal on my rh fork, ive also got a parts bike so though ill just swap over the forks. RH donor fork is fine, LH donor has about 20mm of travel at start of stroke, then stops suddenly. At first i though it was probly a bit of gunk in the compression port (dunno if thats the technical term?) blocking the fluid flow, gave it a push test before putting it in, though itd probly come right after a ride.

It did not, any ideas what the problem might be? Bike is an 84 VT250FII, donor is an 86, donor has been unused for 5-10 years. TIA.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    noticed i needed to replace a fork seal on my rh fork, ive also got a parts bike so though ill just swap over the forks. RH donor fork is fine, LH donor has about 20mm of travel at start of stroke, then stops suddenly. At first i though it was probly a bit of gunk in the compression port (dunno if thats the technical term?) blocking the fluid flow, gave it a push test before putting it in, though itd probly come right after a ride.

It did not, any ideas what the problem might be? Bike is an 84 VT250FII, donor is an 86, donor has been unused for 5-10 years. TIA.
    Aside from any internal issues ( that would neccessitate a stripdown to verify ) have you checked if the lower leg is bent in any way? It takes very little at all to lock it all up

Ph: 06 751 2100 * Email: robert@kss.net.nz
    Mob: 021 825 514 * Fax: 06 751 4551

Bike
    motocompo
    If it was seriously over full with oil it would do that too.
    Drain them & refill with a grade of oil that Mr Taylor reccomends.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post
    Aside from any internal issues ( that would neccessitate a stripdown to verify ) have you checked if the lower leg is bent in any way? It takes very little at all to lock it all up
    Havent checked that, though its quite a sudden lock up, so i wouldnt think its a bent leg, will check before i dissasemble. I swapped the stuck fork back, so now it has one original fork, and one donor, original is about 8mm longer, so i dont think itll compromise the suspension actiaon while i sort the stuck one? the front end is now 8mm lower than standard, I dont think itll make too much difference, less trial so a quicker turn in etc...
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Thread Information