Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wet tar, shiny tar, sticky tar

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Only 3 things will stop a highside when the back steps out a long way.

1 A wet road
    2 Enough hp to keep the loss of traction going and it has already been applied
    3 Luck

For most riders number 2 applies if you have reacted naturally to the situation by instinct which is where dirty riders have an advantage.
    Even a dodgy old dirty on near bald tires on wet grass will give you training and some fun while doing it.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    Only 3 things will stop a highside when the back steps out a long way.

1 A wet road
    2 Enough hp to keep the loss of traction going and it has already been applied
    3 Luck

For most riders number 2 applies if you have reacted naturally to the situation by instinct which is where dirty riders have an advantage.
    Even a dodgy old dirty on near bald tires on wet grass will give you training and some fun while doing it.
    1: yes road wet after dry spell
    1a: rough exposed stone chip start till 1/2-3/4 way through corner, I was laid nice, just didn't do the whole corner
    2: 100 horses enough? Bike way bigger than Scorpio , kept throttle as steady as I could about 20-30 oscillations of handle bar and it was reducing frequency
    2a: Was being very careful bike upright all corners, smooth throttle just taking my time nothing over 70 the whole trip
    2b: if I was doing 100+ would have ended up in other lane - DEAD a car came over the brow of a small rise just after the crash
    3: Picked up the bike and rode it home = Luck I reckon see 2b also

bugger going to have to become a dirty rider

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    1: yes road wet after dry spell
    1a: rough exposed stone chip start till 1/2-3/4 way through corner, I was laid nice, just didn't do the whole corner
    2: 100 horses enough? Bike way bigger than Scorpio , kept throttle as steady as I could about 20-30 oscillations of handle bar and it was reducing frequency
    2a: Was being very careful bike upright all corners, smooth throttle just taking my time nothing over 70 the whole trip
    2b: if I was doing 100+ would have ended up in other lane - DEAD a car came over the brow of a small rise just after the crash
    3: Picked up the bike and rode it home = Luck I reckon see 2b also

bugger going to have to become a dirty rider
    Absolutely nothing wrong with the dirt route. Great fun & a whole new raft of skills to be learned.
    I guess a TV set analogy would be if you have only ever ridden tar seal roads then your a black & white CRT, if you also ride gravel your full colour, if you ride slick trails & dirt, too, your getting on for being an HD plasma when it comes to ability.
    If you stick in a few track training sessions, some Enduro & a bit of Motard your heading towards a 100 inch, curved screen LED/LCD 3D experience.
    I could have just said the more varied your riding the better your ability.

Forgot to mention in my previous post but staying completely relaxed & tuned in is worth it's weight in gold when a moment occurs. Nothing worse than tensing up & wrestling the bike.

Oh, some KBer's may misconstrue bugger & dirt rider used in the same sentence. You might get some PM's.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Absolutely nothing wrong with the dirt route. Great fun & a whole new raft of skills to be learned.
    I guess a TV set analogy would be if you have only ever ridden tar seal roads then your a black & white CRT, if you also ride gravel your full colour, if you ride slick trails & dirt, too, your getting on for being an HD plasma when it comes to ability.
    If you stick in a few track training sessions, some Enduro & a bit of Motard your heading towards a 100 inch, curved screen LED/LCD 3D experience.
    I could have just said the more varied your riding the better your ability.

Forgot to mention in my previous post but staying completely relaxed & tuned in is worth it's weight in gold when a moment occurs. Nothing worse than tensing up & wrestling the bike.

Oh, some KBer's may misconstrue bugger & dirt rider used in the same sentence. You might get some PM's.
    Understand, I did have offers to be trained in dirt riding (I am sure I will get some PMs now) but I was too worried about damaging someones bike who I didnt know and the training was going to be free.

I would rather pay and damage bike or fix it for them

Yes I wish other people had made it as plain to me as you have. - slow learner

I am doing more riding in all conditions and trying to relax and tuned in (I did feel the bike go) I was perhaps too tuned in as i reacted so fast.
    Yep I did twist the handle bars in an opposite lock like a car driver would have instinctively, rather than just let it go.

I am glad I have gotten some responses thanks.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    TF125
    The back stepped out. It happens, even on a Scorpio. My $0.10 is that you could perhaps benefit from a less structured/analytical approach to motorcycling and try to just let it happen, ride to enjoy the experience.

It just seems to me that there is a faction of KB members that are hell bent on becoming the best motorcycle riding experts they can be by using all the training, reading, coaching and post analysis that they can get their boring little hands on but they're still binning more than most n00bs.

I've not ridden with you but I'm pretty sure I've been behind you in my work ute driving through Papakura. You struck me as being a tad nervous. Chill out!

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    You won't do much damage riding around a wet paddock somewhere, bend a lever perhaps & double the weight of the bike with mud.
    If you get the opportunity, take it. I guarantee you will wet yourself laughing.

Don't get suckered into going for a ride with a few folks who give you a she'll be right attitude then take you into demoralising terrain. You may feel awful for holding up the the ride and end up hating the person who put you in that situation. As well as being physically & mentally wrecked.
    Jump on an old shitter & spend an afternoon in a slippy paddock to start with.
    Ahhhh, the joys of bare bones biking.

And yeah, what he said above. The texture of the grit & moistness of the road is irrelevant & beyond your control. It's the riding that counts.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    You won't do much damage riding around a wet paddock somewhere, bend a lever perhaps & double the weight of the bike with mud.

xl185s superfarmer with road legal nobs was my first bike.
    No ability to jump but ride and slide and hill climb was its strong points.
    You don't need move fast to get a loss of traction happening.

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    xl185s superfarmer with road legal nobs was my first bike.
    Mine was an ex-Postie CT90 with bald knobblies & a rusted out exhaust. The training ground was a clay fire-break in the hills behind Naenae where with just a smidge of moisture you learned all about sliding.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    Mine was an ex-Postie CT90 with bald knobblies & a rusted out exhaust. The training ground was a clay fire-break in the hills behind Naenae where with just a smidge of moisture you learned all about sliding.
    Herbert Forest pine needles. Likely same effect.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    The back stepped out. It happens, even on a Scorpio. My $0.10 is that you could perhaps benefit from a less structured/analytical approach to motorcycling and try to just let it happen, ride to enjoy the experience.

It just seems to me that there is a faction of KB members that are hell bent on becoming the best motorcycle riding experts they can be by using all the training, reading, coaching and post analysis that they can get their boring little hands on but they're still binning more than most n00bs.

I've not ridden with you but I'm pretty sure I've been behind you in my work ute driving through Papakura. You struck me as being a tad nervous. Chill out!
    Not a scorpio. The Scorpio is capable of more skidding/bouncing along the road, not so much sliding.
    I have done some training but it never covers the things I have asked.
    Yes I am learning to try and enjoy the ride. I tend to overthink thinks but I am learning to relax, it will take time.......

I binned it through lack of experience. Hence I asked the questions and 99% of the answers are great and to the point and is what I need.
    OK I could be boring, nervious and lack experience. I havent had the upbringing like most so I am trying to capture those forgotten years as fast as I can.
    Most people have had some sort of previous motorbike background or offroad experience and I see that helps a lot.

I am nervious with any vehicles been driven through Papakura (even if i was in a tank), but is not as bad as other places in Auckland.

Previous to me becoming a rider, I never asked questions and got no where. Now I asked questions and get something I can act on. Rather like being a mushroom being in the dark and feed on bullshit.

Next time as you go past give me a wave. So i know that you are looking out for fellow motorcyclists.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    Not a scorpio. The Scorpio is capable of more skidding/bouncing along the road, not so much sliding.
    Any bike is capable of sliding or having the rear step out. It's about grip, or a lack thereof, rather than being all about power.

Quote Originally Posted by eldog
    Next time as you go past give me a wave. So i know that you are looking out for fellow motorcyclists.
    I wouldn't want to distract you.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    If you get the opportunity, take it. I guarantee you will wet yourself laughing.

Don't get suckered into going for a ride with a few folks who give you a she'll be right attitude then take you into demoralising terrain. You may feel awful for holding up the the ride and end up hating the person who put you in that situation. As well as being physically & mentally wrecked.

And yeah, what he said above. The texture of the grit & moistness of the road is irrelevant & beyond your control. It's the riding that counts.
    Yes to all the above and other posters about learning to slide, I take it on board and I will do it. I know all about pine needles, I have my very own pine tree and the needles can be tricky at the best of times.

But I do take the texture of the road to be a area which we motorcyclists can alter. Isnt it a 'Health and Safety' issue.
    Could we influence the Councils/ Govt/ ACC etc so that roads are much better condition rather than have tar bleed every where.

How many people have died or had accidents from shoddy road design and construction, How many have slid under trucks/cars coming the otherway.
    Ok i can get more 'skills' and I am happy with that.

But road conditions could and should improve. Just like lowering alcohol level, how about we reduce the tar bleed level. This will reduce the ACC and insurance levies for bikes too wont it.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Any bike is capable of sliding or having the rear step out. It's about grip, or a lack thereof, rather than being all about power.

I wouldn't want to distract you.
    I was talking about my riding, not the bikes capability. It has slid a little but mostly I find it bounces and is skittery.
    I have good tyres and keep tyre pressure checked, and I avoid tar when I ride the scorpio where i can.

I was probably thinking what sort of driving change would happen if all the cagers had to get a motorcycle licence BEFORE getting a car license.

Traddies, Overseas travellers and Moms with kids are the worst esp Papakura

Madness the bike was much larger than the Scorpio.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I hear ya about road condition.
    The only thing that is consistent about the roads up here is that they are hazardous, regrdless of the time of year. We have a full deck of slip demons. Mud, cow shit, tar snakes, diesel, pot holes, gravel, invisible gravel (you have to listen for it), green algae growing on the road, wet tar bleed. I could go on. I don't think the resources or the will is there to make significant improvements. The poor High Viz brigade were working 24 / 7 just to get the roads passable for cars & trucks after the recent flooding. It's a genuine mountain of a problem.

So, I ride a dual porpoise bike, slowly. Most of the time.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    ---2000 Triumph SprintT
    Of the 3 possible options listed above....I chose number TWO.
    Mine went dancing at back in the rain the other day. A lot of rain. Open highway and turned right at intersection behind 2 slow vans. Pulled out to overtake and gave it a smidgen too much right hand (I thought at the time) as I went by the rear of the 1st van the rear wheel came round maybe half a metre. More throttle and it squirmed back on line. I rode back the next day in the dry and the spot I overtook had a long strip of smooth bled tar on the edge of the centre line and extending maybe half a metre wide. Less throttle and I think it would still have happened. I was on a Triumph 1050 triple - with a new PR4 rear tyre scrubbed in with 1k on it. Nothing would have prevented this in my view...except another wheel perhaps.

Thread Information