Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Wet tar, shiny tar, sticky tar

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I hear ya about road condition.
    The only thing that is consistent about the roads up here is that they are hazardous, regrdless of the time of year. We have a full deck of slip demons. Mud, cow shit, tar snakes, diesel, pot holes, gravel, invisible gravel (you have to listen for it), green algae growing on the road, wet tar bleed. I could go on. I don't think the resources or the will is there to make significant improvements. The poor High Viz brigade were working 24 / 7 just to get the roads passable for cars & trucks after the recent flooding. It's a genuine mountain of a problem.

So, I ride a dual porpoise bike, slowly. Most of the time.
    Never ridden up that way, good to know about conditions. I am getting more k's and that seems to help me relax when riding. I can still feel the bike and tyres beneath me, which i reckon is a good thing. Not a numb nut.

Quote Originally Posted by Trade_nancy View Post
    Of the 3 possible options listed above....I chose number TWO.
    Mine went dancing at back in the rain the other day. A lot of rain. Open highway and turned right at intersection behind 2 slow vans. Pulled out to overtake and gave it a smidgen too much right hand (I thought at the time) as I went by the rear of the 1st van the rear wheel came round maybe half a metre. More throttle and it squirmed back on line. I rode back the next day in the dry and the spot I overtook had a long strip of smooth bled tar on the edge of the centre line and extending maybe half a metre wide. Less throttle and I think it would still have happened. I was on a Triumph 1050 triple - with a new PR4 rear tyre scrubbed in with 1k on it. Nothing would have prevented this in my view...except another wheel perhaps.
    I have heard about this this type of stuff from the Motorcycle transport guy who took the bike away to get repaired. Between Bombay and Thames there are good stretches exactly like you describe where it looks good to overtake, but people get taken out by the lack of traction.

The triumph triple nice

Below is the road in daylight, imagine at night, cloudy, and wet. 89 McKenzie Road Kingseat if you are interested
    I visited the site 2 days later - to pick up bits and pieces. The Night before a ute coming the otherway spun out and missed a telegraph pole approx 150 m down the road ended up in ditch. Neighbour says approx 3-4 accidents every year. It looks innocent.... just trying to show others to be wary.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140926_181908.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	466.8 KB 
ID:	303116Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140926_181954.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	471.1 KB 
ID:	303117Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140926_182122.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	494.0 KB 
ID:	303118

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Nasty. Re-sealed up to the tip in point / apex, then skiddie.

Had you ridden the road before your bin?

Tough call but there is quite a contrast between the new chip seal & the old. Possibly enough even in bad visibility to temper corner speed & position, just in case.

I come from the UK originally, it rains constantly & the roads are usually equally as random as ours. My rule of thumb in dodgy conditions is to adjust my speed so I can look for grip, usually between the tire tracks of cars as in the photos.
    Apart from improving handling skills something else you could take from this is to better assess what you are riding into. Not preaching, it's road craft.
    The aim of the game is to get home safe & sound. That is totally up to you.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Various
    Nothing would have prevented this in my view...except another wheel perhaps.
    Or possibly traction control...?

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Nasty. Re-sealed up to the tip in point / apex, then skiddie.

Had you ridden the road before your bin?

Tough call but there is quite a contrast between the new chip seal & the old. Possibly enough even in bad visibility to temper corner speed & position, just in case.

I come from the UK originally, it rains constantly & the roads are usually equally as random as ours. My rule of thumb in dodgy conditions is to adjust my speed so I can look for grip, usually between the tire tracks of cars as in the photos.
    Apart from improving handling skills something else you could take from this is to better assess what you are riding into. Not preaching, it's road craft.
    The aim of the game is to get home safe & sound. That is totally up to you.
    I had ridden that part of the road only 3 times
    first time about a year ago on one of my first rides ever
    second time earlier in the week and I was raining I was doing about 50 then and cut all off the corners, could hardly see anything.
    third was listening to all the training to keep out wide to see. @ 70 kaput. but didnt see change in road

When I came off I was still travelling and was thrown approx 3m into air saw the bike pass beneath me and on ahead
    I as lucky, bruised all of the following hip/thigh, foot/heel, shoulder and ego. no broken bones etc Doctor as very surprised most people break collarbone or rotator cuff. ATGATT with BMW impact armour LOL recommend that stuff, saved more damage. Picked up the bike (100 Hp 260 kg) as you do and rode it home

I take what you say on board, its what i need. not planning to race but want to improve skills and knowledge that's what KB for.

Appreciate the comments
    Last edited by eldog; 31st October 2014 at 06:10. Reason: injury detail added

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    I had ridden that part of the road only 3 times
    keep out wide to see. @below 70 kaput. but didnt see change in road

When I'm out on the bike and notice a dodgy bit of road or corner, potential hazard for whatever reason I find a wee thought keeps popping into my head. File that away for the future. It's like an inbuilt hazard map. I may not remember exact corners but I do remember the stretches of road.

Been heaps of debate on here about lines on the road, some of it pretty dogmatic.
    It's all about compromise. In ideal conditions with good visibilty, maximum view is good. As soon as the conditions deteriorate the line and speed need to reduce to keep maximum grip & control. It's flexible depending on circumstances not a hard rule. Putting yourself on the best / safest, part of your lane at any given time.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    ---2000 Triumph SprintT
    It's all very well to say - learn to look and adjust....there will be a time when a rider such as yourself approaches this piece of shit posing as a road while the road ahead is obscured by vehicles in front of you. As you keep your eye on the vehicle ahead of you and the vehicle coming towards you and focus on your speedo so that plod doesn't bill you as well ..the rider will find themselves on top of that area and down and out like you. The LTSA or local council needs to be told and asked to remedy. I found the LTSA obliging in that way when I beefed about similar issues involving surface grit/gravel. Their contractors cut corners. They get onto them.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    It's all about compromise. In ideal conditions with good visibilty, maximum view is good. As soon as the conditions deteriorate the line and speed need to reduce to keep maximum grip & control. It's flexible depending on circumstances not a hard rule. Putting yourself on the best / safest, part of your lane at any given time.

Hazard Map - I am beginning to remember sections of road more, in a car not much of a worry

Your comments above - PERFECT
    I tend to take rules and follow them precisely - hence my issue
    I try not to bend them, but now I see they need to be adapted for purpose and conditions

I am getting the idea, Its about me, and taking responsibility for MYSELF.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    It's all very well to say - learn to look and adjust....there will be a time when a rider such as yourself approaches this piece of shit posing as a road while the road ahead is obscured by vehicles in front of you. As you keep your eye on the vehicle ahead of you and the vehicle coming towards you and focus on your speedo so that plod doesn't bill you as well ..the rider will find themselves on top of that area and down and out like you. The LTSA or local council needs to be told and asked to remedy. I found the LTSA obliging in that way when I beefed about similar issues involving surface grit/gravel. Their contractors cut corners. They get onto them.
    This is also true, I have made a complaint with Auckland Transport. Just waiting till next month to see if anything happens. Similar to road from Bombay to Tuakau - Big Dog have you noticed there is also a very unusual water feature on a major corner, water keeps coming out of the road. Got to get onto this one, At night almost invisible.

I never used to complain, now that I am riding I do -> Confidence
    Last edited by eldog; 30th October 2014 at 13:27. Reason: added tuakau to bombay road condition=slippery mess

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Whoa. Settle petal.
    Your absolutely right. We can only do the best we can & know. No guarantees on a bike. Ever. And yeah, the council will respond to complaints if they feel it is justified. But roads as perfect as race tracks just ain't gonna happen. And it won't stop raining. Well, I hope not, just planted some tomatoes.

I'm not preaching my own virtues either, pretty average over all and have a healthy fear of what can happen on the road. But. If something I post can help another rider then I'm happy. I'd love to see more and better riders on the roads.

Just sayin.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Quiet plodder

An update if anyone is interested.

Stopped riding with most other people, yes earlier posts said I might be slowing up the group and get demoralised - they were right
    Got very demoralised, was seriously thinking of ditching riding altogether. Stopped doing a lot of stuff, as Depression set in bad.
    Withdrew from a lot of people and only had contact with one or two. People noticied this at home and work too. Wasnt looking good for a while.

Went out for a ride with someone completely different - hadnt ridden with them before, no real destination, no speed, no direction, no instructions, good reasonable speed to match me, didnt make me feel like a boat anchor, no pressure, on a set of roads neither of us had ridden - lots and lots of curves to keep focussed.
    It was this, and talking to others about stuff got me out of the hole, had a ride on his bike for a bit - so much more confidence - like a light turning on.

This was the start. Had to give up riding for about a month due to injuries, home and work load stuff.

But it was riding the other bike AND going with another rider totally unconnected with my past helped bring me back. Always wanted to ride since a nipper but not allowed till much older.

One of the previous posters suggested that the more varied riding conditions, eg offroad, gravel, track the better the ability to react and ride to the conditions etc. And they were toatlly correct. I hadnt done any type of riding till I got the Scorpio and that has been on gentle roads at my own pace (70-80). The group rides were at 80-100 I wasnt really ready for this. I know now that learners need a bit of leeway and guidance, each person is different so need to be treated so. Some come from more riding backgrounds some are like me (Overthinker and underlearner)

Talked to lots of people, my injuries are really only slight compaired to others, amazing number of people who have far worse injuries from much simplier accidents.
    They were getting on with their lot and so am I. Shoulder and foot still ache but getting better. Frame of mind much better too. Still havent returned to the group of riders I was with before, at least not till injuires have healed more and my riding skills have improved too.

One thin I learnt was that even though I am a nervous, cautious, timid and overthinker rider, what I was doing was correct. Is the realisation that the style I am riding is perhaps more advanced than what a early beginner should have. I am happy with that. Confidence has grown, just got o keep it in check as over confidence for me is disaster, it will come just slower than most, but the result is better in the end.

Noticed there is a lot of tar bleed and other bad road defects around Tuakau/Kingseat area. The more I become more vigilant about road conditions etc the more my riding spots problems and this has helped my riding a lot to. This means that I can spot problems much earlier than I used to and it gives me more time to react.

SO now I am back on the bike, mostly by myself, just chipping away at skills piece by piece, still a long way to go before back with the group (they have been supportive) But they ride most days whereas my work precludes me riding and limits me to late nights and/or weekends - I tend to work long hours on weekends and nights.

Got to do some gravel/offroad, quick corner direction and gear changes and lots of slow speed stuff, I want to learn about skids and what to do. This will be one of the next things I will tackle, so the things like rear sliding out wont be a complete surprise next time, I will be prepared.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    How very positive. Keep on keeping on.
    I cannot bang on enough about slow speed handling skills, to my mind the easiest & safest way to increase bike control. It is all about practice, though. Getting things to become second nature.
    Excellent.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    CB1300

Wet tar, shiny tar, sticky tar.

Fing tapatalk.

Bike
    CB1300
    Top stuff to hear.
    One of the hardest things to learn is when to stop listening. For me that is often the voice within casting excessive doubt one week and over confidence the next.

Neither ends well.

It used to be all the other riders banging on about how fast they were and how slow I was. For me it was a major revelation after a couple of bins that nothing else mattered more than was I having a good time? Was I satisfied with my progress?
    That I needed to stop paying their rent in my head.

The more you persevere and the more you do things in your own time and way the more fun you have.

If you want to go for a spin with someone who completely relates with your post and doesn't care what speed you are doing drop me a line.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    CB1300
    This is also true, I have made a complaint with Auckland Transport. Just waiting till next month to see if anything happens. Similar to road from Bombay to Tuakau - Big Dog have you noticed there is also a very unusual water feature on a major corner, water keeps coming out of the road. Got to get onto this one, At night almost invisible.

I never used to complain, now that I am riding I do -> Confidence
    Oops. Did not see this post before. Yes there are a few permanent water features on the way to Tuakau. Also on the turn off to Tuakau they have put in a large square patch over winter. Right on the apex. All tar no aggregate. :grrr:
    I make an effort or even I the dry apex late. Other wise in the wet you don't see it. I have slid both ends many times there.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    Mine
    Well done. You've just made the single most important step to surviving long term and enjoying the journey.

I commute daily the full length of Auckland's Southern motorway and although I still get pissed off with driver behaviour (although not often) I really don't care that much what they get up to. I just ride in a deliberate manner and keep myself out of harms way.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Thread Information