Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CRF250L Rally Thread

Bike
    CRF250L Rally

CRF250L Rally Thread

Can't see that anyone has started a thread for these yet. Just picked up mine today so thought I might share my experience with the bike and anyone else that has one feel free to add your comments.

I got the bike this afternoon from Hamilton Honda - top people by the way. Then I rode across to Rotorua - first 120 odd km.

The thing that strikes me first about these bikes is how incredibly versatile they are. Sure that means compromise, but that's not a bad thing. It will happily sit on 120km cruise with little vibration. Position is comfortable on the road - seat a little hard but plenty of room to move around and change position. Maybe I will need some work on the seat for long distance riding. The screen is great. Actually better than my VFR. I'm 5'9" so just right for my height.

The handling and suspension are great (for a lower powered bike) on the twisty bits specially. The thing with a smaller engine you have to work it - and these enjoy being worked a bit. It's a very engaging ride when it's about riding rather than relying on power.

The biggest criticism of these that I've seen is why didn't Honda put a 300cc or 450cc engine in them? I think in a way that's missing the point. The bike is great fun to ride and more power would just mean more expensive to run. It's kind of getting back to the bikes of my youth - cheap transport that has a big grin factor. The bikes I remember most fondly are simple dual purpose bikes like an XL175 I had in my teens, and an XL250 Degree I got 15 years or so back when I got back into riding. The Rally captures the essence of those bikes but with a modern twist - ABS, decent suspension (compared to those older bikes), good cruising speed, decent range, while still having great fuel economy and being simple and relatively light.

The "Rally" name of course is just marketing. This is not a race bike by any means. It's more like a junior Africa Twin adventure bike. But I'd be way more confident taking this basically anywhere compared to a larger adventure bike. I'm hoping to get some more challenging riding experiences over the summer so I'll report back on how "Africa Single" goes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0436.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	903.3 KB 
ID:	332959   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0438.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	921.8 KB 
ID:	332960   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0437.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	909.8 KB 
ID:	332961  

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    I'm getting the Rally ready for a trip to the South Island at the beginning of November. First thing is to see what luggage would fit on it. I was pleased to see that my Ventura panniers fit on really well, with the straps under the seat and the bags hanging clear of the hot pipe. My Oxford X30 tail-pack similarly went on pretty well, bungied onto the four tiedown lugs. No need for a rack which is good as it saves weight. I had a bit of protective film for the back mudguard under the pack, and I think I'll get some more to protect the side covers from the panniers (as you do with a new bike ). For my trip I'll also use my Bobblebee backpack with it's a built in back protector for my precious stuff.

With the luggage all set up and loaded with a bit of weight I did 50k or so trip out to Parua Bay, trying out the handling through the twisty corners (much fun) and on a couple of gravel roads (excellent!). So far so good. Fuel economy on second fill is something around 3.2l/100km. A theoretical range of well over 300km from the 11.5l tank if that is accurate. And I wasn't riding it for economy . It needs to be wound out to perform well. That's what makes these fun I think - they respond to being ridden aggressively, as opposed to a more powerful bike that that will surely get you onto trouble one way or another by riding it like that.

The stock IRC tyres are reasonably aggressive and great on the gravel and the dry seal. I haven't tried wet seal or dirt as yet. I'll see how the weekend goes...

Name:	IMG_0444.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	798.1 KB 
ID:	332992   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0445.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	933.6 KB 
ID:	332993   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0450.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	881.2 KB 
ID:	332994  

Bike
    Triumph XC 800
    Blog Entries
    Cool looking little bike! I am of the same thought "Why didn't Honda put a 450 or 500 engine in this machine????"
    "Those who hammer there guns into plow shears will plow for those who do not" Thomas Jefferson

Bike
    1999 BMW R1100GS / 2012 WR 250 R
    The nice man in Tauranga modified my WR seat for me and it worked well

Name:	WP_20161129_16_03_45_Pro.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	461.4 KB 
ID:	333030  

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by That looks like fun View Post
    What did that cost?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    1999 BMW R1100GS / 2012 WR 250 R
    About $400. They used my original seat base and padded it wider at the rear but left the front narrow. With the Wolfman luggage I use once you hit the tarseal it was simple to slide back, recline against the roll bag and wonder why it didn't sound like a Harley. It performed like one power wise
    Speaking of which I saw two parked in the handicapped zone at BP Wanganui. Confirmed something I had always suspected.

Name:	WP_20170225_12_36_08_Pro.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	657.7 KB 
ID:	333054  

Bike
    Husqvarna 701E - WR250F - Can Am 500

Cool

. With the Wolfman luggage I use once you hit the tarseal it was simple to slide back, recline against the roll bag and wonder why it didn't sound like a Harley.
    Speaking of which I saw two parked in the handicapped zone at BP Wanganui. Confirmed something I had always suspected.
    naughty naughty
    Here for a good time, not necessarily a long time

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    I rode the Rally down to Hamilton (from Whangarei) yesterday then back again today. Going down just stuck to the main drags to see how the bike performed on the Expressway . It can maintain speed okay but needs to use the gears if there is a headwind (which there was). So doable but not enjoyable (but when is expressway ever enjoyable on a bike).

Coming back I chose some alternatives north of Auckland - SH16 through Kaukapakapa and then the exquisite Twin Coast Explorer from Wellsford through to Waipu . This is the kind of road that the Rally eats - good handling, good brakes and enough power to have masses of fun where it's all about lines and challenging your riding to maintain pace. Much fun.

I'm wondering about the gearing - dropping it down a little. It seems to run out of puff in top a little easily and dropping the gearing may make it just keep the revs up that little bit to avoid having to downshift. I did have a fair load on board - myself at 85kg plus riding gear plus backpack maybe 10kg plus probably another 20kg of bags and gear. I was trying get an idea how it will be when I do my 10 day trip down South next week. I'll leave the gearing as is for now and see how it works for this trip.

First gear on these is quite low and a bit of a jump to second. I discovered that it stall easily at the lights if you leave it in second by mistake . The fuel gauge starts flashing at about 240km, but filling shortly after uses maximum of 8.5l, - capacity is 10.2l apparently so less range that I thought. Potentially about 280-300km if riding more carefully.

The bike that this reminds me of most of all is my old XR600. Similar height and handling and weight (actually slightly lighter - and a little more torque ) so I call this the Little Red Pig.

All good

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Yeah I had them do my VFR seat and they did a great job. Looks just what I need on the Rally.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by CRM View Post
    I rode the Rally down to Hamilton (from Whangarei) yesterday then back again today. Going down just stuck to the main drags to see how the bike performed on the Expressway . It can maintain speed okay but needs to use the gears if there is a headwind (which there was). So doable but not enjoyable (but when is expressway ever enjoyable on a bike).

Coming back I chose some alternatives north of Auckland - SH16 through Kaukapakapa and then the exquisite Twin Coast Explorer from Wellsford through to Waipu . This is the kind of road that the Rally eats - good handling, good brakes and enough power to have masses of fun where it's all about lines and challenging your riding to maintain pace. Much fun.

I'm wondering about the gearing - dropping it down a little. It seems to run out of puff in top a little easily and dropping the gearing may make it just keep the revs up that little bit to avoid having to downshift. I did have a fair load on board - myself at 85kg plus riding gear plus backpack maybe 10kg plus probably another 20kg of bags and gear. I was trying get an idea how it will be when I do my 10 day trip down South next week. I'll leave the gearing as is for now and see how it works for this trip.

First gear on these is quite low and a bit of a jump to second. I discovered that it stall easily at the lights if you leave it in second by mistake . The fuel gauge starts flashing at about 240km, but filling shortly after uses maximum of 8.5l, - capacity is 10.2l apparently so less range that I thought. Potentially about 280-300km if riding more carefully.

The bike that this reminds me of most of all is my old XR600. Similar height and handling and weight (actually slightly lighter - and a little more torque ) so I call this the Little Red Pig.

All good
    Its a 250. You have 120kg on it and you want it to be fast?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    .....but its a rally bike aint it
    ....wherezz that track go

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Yeah mate I want it all .

("Fast" as in not being overtaken up hills by large trucks )

Bike
    CB500X, DRZ250, TE250
    The quiet scares me cause it screams the truth.

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Wow a brave move dropping in a 500 - cool outcome though.

I was reading somewhere about a "Stage 1 kit" for the Rally that includes a Yoshi pipe, updated mapping and some suspension upgrades. I think it worked out at a couple of grand or so and gave a good boost to performance and handling. I wouldn't want to compromise the fuel economy though. Might be the ticket down the track a bit but at the moment just enjoying it stock.

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    So I've done a few km on the Rally over the last couple of days - Whangarei to Rotorua Monday, then Rotorua to Wellington yesterday, over on the ferry at the moment then off to Christchurch this afternoon.

Observations about the bike would be:
    - fuel economy is pretty consistent at around 3.4l/100km. The fuel gauge starts flashing at around 230km and I fill up at say 250km and it takes a bit over 8 litres - I'm pretty happy with that
    - it had it's first service at 1000km, service intervals after this are every 12,000km
    - the tank takes more than you think if you fill it casually - you trickle in the last couple of litres
    - you need to modify your usual "pass everything" attitude - it's no sports/tourer but on the other hand it doesn't embarrass itself on the open road either - vibrations are minimal and the sweet spot for power delivery is 7000-8500rpm - it redlines at 10500rpm but no real point as the power drops off after 8500rpm - it's a matter of picking the right gear and you can hum along at an indicated 115kph quite happily that is probably an actual 105kph I suspect so no need to be paranoid about getting ticketed at least
    - gearing is pretty good and so it can be ridden comfortably hard and maintain a good pace - it absolutely gobbles twisty seal even with the stock tyres
    - wind protection is great for distance on both knees and face - plenty of air flow but minimal buffeting - my neck is fine after two reasonably long days of riding
    - the seat gets a bit tedious after a couple of days - might get McDonalds in Tauranga to repack it - the shape is fine - just a bit hard after a few hours
    - I did a bit of a deviation off the Desert Road up the Tokino Skifield track just to test the suspension - it did pretty well but as I was loaded with gear wasn't confident to go too hard out - looking forward to some trails without all the extra weight in future as I think it will be lots of fun that mode
    - using a dual purpose bike for touring is always going to have its limitations but I would definitely pick it over other dual sport bikes I've owned - less viby, has wind protection and much better gear ratios than a DRZ400, and also over an XR600 - fun but no electric start or wind protection - of course the standard DR650 and KLR650 options give more power and carrying capacity but don't underestimate the Rally as viable option - I look at it as the multi-tool of motorcycling

Name:	IMG_0482.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	897.3 KB 
ID:	333183  

Thread Information