Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha AG100 no spark

Bike
    Old yamaha AG100

Unhappy Yamaha AG100 no spark

Hello i have just joined these great forums of yours for some help.

i don't know much about bikes but i am not a complete idiot =D

anyway i was recently given a around 20 year old Yamaha AG100 and most of you would know that this bike is a rugged bike. anyway the old engine seized to the person who gave it to me had put the replacement into it. he had wired only the engine (no indicator or lights) so the first thing we did was buy a new battery and spark plug for it. we found the same spark plug but they didn't sell the same sized battery so we got some advice and brought the same battery but it was twice the size. we took it home, changed the spark plug and battery and tried to get a spark out of the spark plug, no such luck.

so i grabbed the voltmeter and checked up that wire and found no power coming to the spark plug. we went and got the coil (thing spark plug clicks into) checked by an electrician, it was fine so we knew the fault was in the wiring.

so we got a new wire and connected it up to the battery and straight to the coil, and thus we got 12 volts right out of the tip of the spark plug.but no spark!!

this might be for running a new wire not including fuses and all, we made sure everything was earthed, key was on and it was set on "run"

we going to electrician this weekend and i just needed to see if it was necessary getting a trailer and all.

any help would be appreciated greatly =D

cheers

Bike
    XT
    Did you check the points?

Bike
    Old yamaha AG100
    points? i probably have but explain what these points are, im not an electrician, i have checked coil, where spark plug goes into, battery... all doing 12v

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Kill switch on/off ... ????
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 K6
    The Ag 100s and Kawasaki 100 farm bikes also had a habit of eating condensers.... might be worth replacing the points and condenser
    Member, sem fiddy appreciation society

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I find it ironic that the incredibly rude personal comments about Les were made by someone bearing an astonishing resemblance to a Monica Lewinsky dress accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    All was good until I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable after a while

Bike
    Sidecar (road racing, Hand Made)
    to start with you need to find out what model it is ,about 20 years ago they changed to cdi ignition, what colour is the bike yellow orange or blue

Bike
    i did my apprentiship on these things let me know and ill see what I can come up with

Bike
    Old yamaha AG100
    the bike is red,kill switch is not on, and what part is the consendor? is it the small white can shaped thing? what are there "points" you talk of.heres some pictures=

http://i34.tinypic.com/25zp2l4.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/2pq0xmx.jpg

Bike
    Old yamaha AG100
    Wow no replys...please help!

Bike
    suzuki GS500

where are the points

Look behind the red cover in the 2nd photo or the on the grey cover on the other side of the crankshaft.

The points open and close and geberate the pulse in the coil that makes the spark have a look at this link http://www.dansmc.com/bat_coil_ign.htm there is a lot of other good info on this site as well

To be honest you do not appear to have a lot of bike knowledge and to save yourself some grief I would suggest you get some one with some more skills to give you a hand cheers
    The project bike builders motto: The perfect is the enemy of the good

GS 500 page includes wiki : http://www.gstwin.com/

Bike
    Old yamaha AG100
    my dad knows a bit about bikes, he grew up riding them and he knows a good amount. we took off everything and looked on the left and right side and there were no points, so the bike was made after 1980, could there be a problem with the coil, sure electricity can run through it, but it might not be able to produce a spark.

Bike
    a fucking hornet

plastic fabricator/welder here if you need a hand ! will work for beer/bourbon/booze

come ride the southern roads www.southernrider.co.nz

Bike
    a fucking hornet
    positive to the coil, coil to the plug negative to earth and kick should get a spark

plastic fabricator/welder here if you need a hand ! will work for beer/bourbon/booze

come ride the southern roads www.southernrider.co.nz

Bike
    Old yamaha AG100
    Have tried that mate (hayd3n) no spark at all, and as for the picture, ok i see where it is, when the bike moves it spins around right? if its that i am trying to get the bolt off (which is covering it) i just sprayed it with some crc ill try get it off soon

http://tinypic.com/r/2hmj0o4/4

Bike
    ring me on 0272405766 and ill do some explaining

Thread Information