Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6th gear on the 1584

Bike
    2012 Victory Hammer & 1973 Triumph X75
    Quote Originally Posted by AD345 View Post
    I use it on the 1634 all the time. 's good
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Yeah Bruce - I hears ya.
    6 speed gearboxes on cruiser motorcycles with engines larger than a small car I find to be a PITA.
    I use it on the 1731 often, esp with the Maniototo Plains beckoning on my doorstep. PUTT PUTT PUTT, ooh, 2500 rpm, I could lose my license, whatever am I thinking!

Bike
    HD Cubic inches
    Just ride the bloody thing Bruce & stop asking so many questions
    ANGLO AMERICAN MOTORCYCLE CLUB & KTL MOTORCYCLES PROUD SPONSORS OF Paul Dobbs ON THE FLYING DUCATI'S 749R & 999 www.ducatiracing.co.nz http://blog.dobsyracing.com/ go check it out our sponsor www.ktlbikes.co.nz

Bike
    2009 TBird Big Bore 1700
    The lazy Thunderbird does around 2400rpm in 6th. Good for about 1 million mpg. Use it on Longggg straights.
    Shaken, not stirred in the shakey city!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by ukusa View Post
    The lazy Thunderbird does around 2400rpm in 6th. Good for about 1 million mpg. Use it on Longggg straights.
    Whilst you try to suppress that feeling you should've bought a Harley...

Bike
    2009 TBird Big Bore 1700
    Quote Originally Posted by Molly View Post
    Whilst you try to suppress that feeling you should've bought a Harley...
    the thought was there very briefly
    Shaken, not stirred in the shakey city!

Bike
    Rocket Surgery, Teutonic Tourer
    Blog Entries
    Rocket would make a great 2 speed auto.
    Maybe 3 - but yeah, the gear ratios could easily use being a bit more spaced. 3 + OD as a manual would be nice.

I find I sit in 3rd in town, and 5th on the road, and everything else is just a transition to those.

Bike
    All of them
    I have the VL1700 Vulcan at the moment.
    It will launch in 3rd, quite comfortably in second.

I tell you something else I'm beginning to dislike a bit on cruisers. Heel shifters. I've had a few...not drastic, but...uncomfortable moments by inadvertently knocking one into neutral with the heel shift - usually just after a stop for a left hand turn.

Bike
    HD Cubic inches

I tell you something else I'm beginning to dislike a bit on cruisers. Heel shifters. I've had a few...not drastic, but...uncomfortable moments by inadvertently knocking one into neutral with the heel shift - usually just after a stop for a left hand turn.
    Once your use to them, there fine.Unless you have real big feet too...LOL
    ANGLO AMERICAN MOTORCYCLE CLUB & KTL MOTORCYCLES PROUD SPONSORS OF Paul Dobbs ON THE FLYING DUCATI'S 749R & 999 www.ducatiracing.co.nz http://blog.dobsyracing.com/ go check it out our sponsor www.ktlbikes.co.nz

Bike
    Rocket Surgery, Teutonic Tourer
    Blog Entries
    Heel shifters: once I replaced the heel shifter lever on my Ultra with one that didn't have a stuffed spline, so I could set it to a useful angle, it was great. Never hit it inadvertently, it sat nicely just behind the heel and low enough that I didn't have to raise my foot a mile to activate it. Note that the default factory position for HD's heel shifters seems to be a good half-mile above the floorboard, and are greatly enhanced by some tweaking.

The heel shifter on my R3T is a bit different - the height's good, but it sits just behind the floorboard rather than on it. So there's quite a bit of foot travel from the toe shifter to the heel. I have also knocked it a couple of times trying to get the side-stand up or down[1], knocking the bike out of neutral. So far that's only been a PITA resulting in a stalled bike rather than anything more serious, but I'm a bit wary of that heel shifter now.

[1] The R3T's side stand is a bit of an arse trying to retrieve from underneath the floorboard. Frankly, other cruiser brands could learn a lot by studying HD's jiffy stand, which was a revelation. While I had the Ultra I used to mock friends for whingeing about their inability to park their bikes facing downhill - something that occurs completely without drama on a Harley, without having to turn the engine off and leave it in gear or any similar foolishness. Great for dealing with gates on rural driveways.

Bike
    All of them
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Taylor View Post
    Once your use to them, there fine.Unless you have real big feet too...LOL
    Yeah - size US 12s - My boy takes 14s!

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    US 13s.

It's why I'm starting to like American made bikes more and more.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    When I read the last few posts I had to think: "Has my Softail Classic got a heel shifter?" I honestly couldn't remember. Anyway, seems it has. Shows how much use it gets. Never used them on my Road Kings either.

Maybe for safety's sake I should take it off... I have a vague memory of getting the end of my jeans caught in one once (still, most of my memories are vague these days).

Bike
    2009, Yamaha XV250Y
    I suggest Dropping a baker 6 speed in. My dad has a 2001 road king (5 gears stock) and we 'dropped' a Six-speed in over the winter break. Check out Bakers site they are the choice of the custom bike builders and I can see why. It drops RPM by about 2k and fith/six is super quiet unlike the h-d gears box..

I high;y reccomend you look into Baker if your looking for a 'better experance' the your current H-D gear box..

~Jack

Bike
    2007 wideglide
    Nothing better than getting on that open road, feet on those forward controls sitting on around 120km's with the old girl in 6th. they will tractor along all day.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by xknuts View Post
    I use it on the 1731 often, esp with the Maniototo Plains beckoning on my doorstep. PUTT PUTT PUTT, ooh, 2500 rpm, I could lose my license, whatever am I thinking!
    On the 1450 the revs are about just a tad above what you mention - when I'm doing 100kph and in 5th.

6th is really not needed in NZ IMHO..
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Thread Information