Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Auckland to Wellington - best route?

Bike
    None - s'fucked
    Just head South and stop when you find water.
    Quote Originally Posted by rachprice View Post
    Jrandom, You are such a woman hating cunt, if you weren't such a misogynist bastard you might have a better luck with women!

Bike
    2001 SV400s
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Err, there's petrol stations in Taihape and Hunterville too.

There's no dramas with petrol on SH1.
    Yup, and a big caltex at Waioru
    Yeah, nah.

Bike
    GL1800
    I can vouch for 24 hour gas stations in Te Kuiti and Taumarunui if that helps. Turangi and Waiouru are also of course 24 hour....

Have fun
    "If you haven't grown up by the time you turn 50, you don't have to!"

Bike
    2002 YZ426F and 1982 xr 100
    Quote Originally Posted by Neon View Post
    I recommend the route via Arapuni and Mangakino. It looks longer on the map but the road is excellent (and fast).
    watch out for a cop in a white or silver toyota Aurion seen a bike pulled over by one a couple of weeks ago on that road
    if you think life is 2 short , get a taller one
    Fatboy Racing
    yamahawk racing enterprizes
    IM DAM SEXY racing

Bike
    2004 krr zx150
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Err, there's petrol stations in Taihape and Hunterville too.

There's no dramas with petrol on SH1.
    Good to know. I have no idea where stations might be, and so can only go by the few maps that include them in some places. I'm sure there are more, but can only go by what I can plan for.

I can vouch for 24 hour gas stations in Te Kuiti and Taumarunui if that helps. Turangi and Waiouru are also of course 24 hour....
    Knew about the Te Kuiti one. Any idea if there are many between Te Kuiti and Wanganui? I think National Park has one (I think I stopped there on the way up, had to wait four hours for it to open, and paid about 10c a litre over the usual desiel price).

Bike
    2016 GSXS 1000F
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neon View Post
    I recommend the route via Arapuni and Mangakino. It looks longer on the map but the road is excellent (and fast).
    Agree this route excludes Hamilton which will add a lot of time to the trip. The Western lake road is fast and a time saver but only if you are prepared to speed, if you plan to ride 100-120 better to stay on SH1.

Quote Originally Posted by laserracer View Post
    watch out for a cop in a white or silver toyota Aurion seen a bike pulled over by one a couple of weeks ago on that road
    Always a risk if you speed
    Here for the ride.

Bike
    2004 krr zx150
    I think my speed will depend a lot on how much gas/oil I want to use, and how sure I am I'm not going to earn myself a road user tax notice...

Bike
    2004 krr zx150
    Well I'm getting ready to leave on Sat, tomorrows a full service for the bike, a new plug to take with me, some re-waterproofing spray for my wet weather gear, and a new tyre repair kit and levers, and a cheap handpump.

Any other suggestions? I'm sure I've missed a lot...

Also, anyone have good feedback about any tyre pando brands, or that slime stuff? While I can repair a tube (assuming the levers work well enough), I'd rather not..

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I commute Cambridge-Akl every week.

1st fuel stop @ Autobahn Papakura. From there follow SH1 to Taupiri, turn left and follow SH1B to Cambridge (about 120kms). 2nd fuel stop.

Follow SH1 south to Tokoroa (65k). 3rd fuel stop if you're nervous. Just before you leave Tok turn right into SH32 ('Hospital' is signposted down here) About 30k thru the forest, across the dam and turn left into Tihoi Rd/SH32. Ride to Turangi (about 120k) Turn left at SH1 and go about 200m for the 4th fuel stop.

Back onto SH1 for the ride down the Desert Rd to Welly.

Don't go SH2 thru Matamata - it's boring and straight and policed really heavily, and there's way more head on crashes on that road

Bike
    A naked monster - just like me.
    you are all wrong. Best way.

Auckland airport - 3 beers - wellington airport. 1 hour. Sorted !

Bike
    2004 krr zx150
    ^^ Dude, I wish. Just working out the costs...it's going to cost me more to send my clothes and stuff back via the post than it would of to book a plane and take it with me....

Bike
    2004 krr zx150
    Quote Originally Posted by marty View Post
    I commute Cambridge-Akl every week.

1st fuel stop @ Autobahn Papakura. From there follow SH1 to Taupiri, turn left and follow SH1B to Cambridge (about 120kms). 2nd fuel stop.

Follow SH1 south to Tokoroa (65k). 3rd fuel stop if you're nervous. Just before you leave Tok turn right into SH32 ('Hospital' is signposted down here) About 30k thru the forest, across the dam and turn left into Tihoi Rd/SH32. Ride to Turangi (about 120k) Turn left at SH1 and go about 200m for the 4th fuel stop.

Back onto SH1 for the ride down the Desert Rd to Welly.

Don't go SH2 thru Matamata - it's boring and straight and policed really heavily, and there's way more head on crashes on that road
    Thanks, that's the way I had planned for myself too, but it's good to know where the gas stops are!

Well wish me luck for tomorrow. My new brake pads are a bit tight, so lets hope they wear in without too much hassle, and don't cost me a lot of extra gas.

Bike
    BMW F650 Hoonda GB500 KTM525 sixdays
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthrax View Post
    I'd also like to know who the best root is between Auckland and Wellington. Road trip coming up me thinks
    Sorry to dissapoint Anthrax - but its me. And no Im not interested...
    Retired- just some guy with a few bikes......

Bike
    None at present
    Brave lad, going that far on a 150!

When coming from Auckland, go via Tahuna/Matamata/Morrinsville.

This is apparently a bit quicker than SH1 (so I'm told) and is MUCH more fun.
    What you have in your heart will be revealed through what you have in your life.

If things are going badly in our circumstances, the answer to what is happening to us outwardly is more often than not found in the mirror.

Bike
    TL1000

Blenhiem to Christchurch

I dont think there are any 24 gasso's between blenhiem and chch, my brother spend a night lying in the grass near kiakoura waiting for them to open. Riding at night sucks anyway.

I'm heading down tommorow or wednesday. I'll go through the west back route. Its not faster though, if you want to get there fast, go SH1 and dont stop. f'kin boring though...

Thread Information